“Finding your way without Map or Compass” by Harold Gatty

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Mr. Gatty was a world-famous navigator. In 1931, Gatty served as navigator, along with pilot Wiley Post, on the flight which set the record for aerial circumnavigation of the world. There is a portrait of Harold Gatty and Wiley Post at the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum. https://airandspace.si.edu/multimedia-gallery/5069640jpg

I found this book amazing and have used its information for years. Example, the eastern red cedar (Juniperus virginiana) is a tree I often rely on for direction. All plants “reach for the sun”. This is very easy to see on a cedar tree with its numerous small limbs. It’s easy to get turned around when I’m in the woods looking for medicinal plants. But cedar trees stand like little beacons pointing the way south. There is always one nearby to help me find my way.

Example 2: I delivered a load of firewood to the city on a rainy winter day. I was in a large subdivision where all the streets were curved and the houses looked the same. It had gotten dark by the time I unloaded the wood. When I left my customers house I promptly got lost. I stuck my flashlight out the window and started checking the eves of houses for mildew as I drove slowly. Here, the prevailing winds are from the southwest. Mildew on houses is most often found in the direction of the prevailing winds. Thanks to Mr. Gatty’s book it only took me a couple of minutes to get out of that suburban nightmare.

Example 3: Squirrels that build nests in oak trees… In winter grey squirrels will build nests on the south side of oaks. In summer they most often build on the north side.

Example 4: Fire ant beds in winter… In winter the crown of a fire ant bed is often shaped like the letter “D”. The apex of the curve points south. This doesn’t work in summer though.

Anyway, there are dozens and dozens of clues in nature to help us find direction. If you spend time hunting or hiking this book is a must read. Its available on Amazon.

Harold Gatty_v1.jpg

Back