1 tree rat down.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squirrelhunter

Tree rat eradicater
Neighbor
Saw another 1 but missed it but this 1 will do just fine. Even though the season's in a few more days,I'm done for the year,still have rabbits,fox & coyote to go after. :wink:

KSUnbZw.jpg

Nice shot...

What variety is that one Jerry...?

In our area...it's mostly the greys.

5oVOFbk.jpg

Fox,that's the only kind we have in the country in this part of the State, southern Indiana have greys too and in town there's fox,grey and black but around here it's just fox.

Saw another 1 but missed it but this 1 will do just fine. Even though the season's in a few more days,I'm done for the year,still have rabbits,fox & coyote to go after. :wink:

KSUnbZw.jpg
Shot him in the head? Brains are the best part

We have both Fox and Grays in this area, sometimes not too far from each other.
Been quite a while since I've gone squirrel hunting, the wife doesn't like the smell of them cooking.
For me squirrel hunting is more fun than deer hunting, less work and a lot more action...

We have both Fox and Grays in this area, sometimes not too far from each other.
Been quite a while since I've gone squirrel hunting, the wife doesn't like the smell of them cooking.
For me squirrel hunting is more fun than deer hunting, less work and a lot more action...
I agree

Shot him in the head? Brains are the best part
I always aim for the head if possible,on this 1 it was all I could see. I've never had brains and have no interest in trying it,I don't eat heart or liver either,I just don't like the thought of eating an internal organ.

FOX (we call em Red) and Grays. Lots of each here. Grays are better eatin IMO. Read they have different diets. Reds spend most of their time up in trees and eat mostly nuts, Hickory, Acorns, Walnuts. Grays stay on the ground a lot and mostly eat tinder shoots, berries, worms and bugs. Reds are bigger. The two dont get along well. I watch em alot off my porch. My grandson The Bawana, hunted them a lot. But since he moved to NH nobody hunts them here anymore.

We have fox squirrels the size of guinea pigs on our lease. At least that's what I was told they were called. Not a squirrel expert. First time I saw one I thought it was some mutant ROUS. I had never seen one before.

FOX (we call em Red) and Grays. Lots of each here. Grays are better eatin IMO. Read they have different diets. Reds spend most of their time up in trees and eat mostly nuts, Hickory, Acorns, Walnuts. Grays stay on the ground a lot and mostly eat tinder shoots, berries, worms and bugs. Reds are bigger. The two dont get along well. I watch em alot off my porch. My grandson The Bawana, hunted them a lot. But since he moved to NH nobody hunts them here anymore.
We have some squirrels around here some people call red squirrels but we always called them piney sqiuirrels (aka) pine squirrels and they're not much bigger than a chipmunk. They're real chatterboxes and will run out fox squirrels. I shoot the little buggers any chance I get,there's no season on them, they're a nuisance.

Last edited by a moderator:
About 30 ? + years ago (Wow, I'm old) some of my hunting buddies took me to San Saba, TX for a squirrel hunting / camping trip.
They called San Saba the 'Pecan Capital of the World' and said hunters were Very Welcome and encouraged to squirrel hunt there.

Very welcome we were.
Walking down a gravel road with my shotgun a guy stopped to offer me a ride. During the ride he invited me to hunt on his land.
When we ran out of shotgun shells we went to town for more.
At the hardware store the owner apologized for not giving us free ammo to hunt with and said they had to stop cause some were taking unfair advantage.
Don't know what it's like nowadays but it's still small town America out there, probably still begging people to come hunt those pecan stealing critters....

Some of the guys (better hunters than me) would come back from the morning hunt with 10~12 squirrels, same for the afternoon hunt.

Ah, ... The good old days....

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back