10 Edible Medicinal Flowers To Grow

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joel

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
We value beauty for its own sake, yet many colorful flowers have much to offer beyond their good looks. Some can be used medicinally, others are good to eat, and many provide food and habitat for beneficial insects. Some flowers are threatened by habitat destruction just like birds and other wild things, so growing flowers is simply a good idea. Give multipurpose flowers a bit of space in your garden and prepare to be amazed at what medicinal flowers can do for your health, your palate and your spirits.

Medicinal Flowers: Amazing Annuals​

Annuals are flowers that grow from seed to bloom and produce seed in the course of one growing season. Annuals often bloom for a longer period of time than winter-hardy perennials and will do well in new soil that has been dug and amended with organic matter. You can sow the seeds of these plants directly in the garden.

If you’re a new gardener unsure of which little green things are weeds and which plants are flowers, you also can sow some seeds indoors in a small container and use the seedlings as visual guides. These annuals, as well as the perennials discussed later, bloom best if they receive at least six hours of sun each day. See “Woodland Wonders” later in this article, if your planting plans are limited by shade.

https://www.motherearthnews.com/nat...8Ex6aikLJuPTyGbORUs0z_vng6V9GyOv9Ga-xuPUk4Oqw

DW use some of these plants, she goes to tea making parties.
The host buy bulk herbs & charge a fee for the class & everybody has a blast & can drive home without fear of a DUI.
I do not have a list, DW is on a zoom & I do not know where her tea stash is.

Nasturtium: An Edible Flower With a Bite​

As a long-time wild-foods enthusiast, I’ve collected edible plants in all sorts of unlikely spots. But, I’d never harvested food from a flower garden until a family friend introduced me to the attractive yellow orange blossoms and round leaves of the common nasturtium (Tropaeolum majus). After being assured (and reassured) that the plant was both edible and tasty, I chomped down on a long, succulent stem. The flavor was initially sweet, but as I continued to chew, it became hot and peppery like a radish. “Wow!” I thought, my eyes watering and my sinuses opened wide. “That’s good!”
https://www.motherearthnews.com/rea...utm_type=Editorial&oly_enc_id=7809H2414078F3L

Latest posts

Back