10 must have survival books

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sentry18

Thrivalist
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I have some of these, but I also have some others. Any books you would add to this list?

http://www.survival-spot.com/survival-blog/must-have-survival-books/

10 Must Have Survival Books

Every Prepper should have a complete knowledge base in their home library and these are the survival books you simply can’t afford to leave out.

In a serious survival situation we may be left without power for long periods of time. So if you’re planning on using your phone or computer to search Google for online resources you may be out of luck. Even if you have an incredible library of digital downloads that you got from our awesome survival downloads page, in the event of an EMP all electronic devices will be unusable. That’s why it is crucial that you have hard copies of all your survival resources on hand and available when you need it the most.

Check out this great list some of the best survival books that you can’t afford to live without.

1. Making the Best of Basics

2. The Ultimate Guide to US Army Survival Skills, Tactics & Techniques

3.Camping & Wilderness Survival

4. US Army Survival Guide

5. Country Wisdom & Know-how

6. Tom Browns Guide to Edible & Medicinal Plants

7. Gardening When It Counts

8.Crisis Preparedness Handbook: A Complete Guide to Home Storage and Physical Survival

9. SAS Survival Handbook
>

10. The Modern Survival Manual

Here's one I would add. It's basic, but it's still good.

alive.jpg

"WITHOUT RULE of LAW" by Joe Nobody

Usually, survival book libraries are lacking in strengthening survivor resilience, and general mental/spiritual health.

For strengthening resilience in the face of severe adversity, I highly recommend these books:

The Obstacle is the Way: The Timeless Art of Turning Trials Into Triumph, by John Holiday

I found this gem in the library and recognized my own thinking in more than a few places, and also learned many more new ways of thinking that helped to fill in a few holes in my mindset. I took lots of notes, then bought copies of the book to give away. It's that good.

Here is an excerpt from Amazon's book description:

The book draws its inspiration from stoicism, the ancient Greek philosophy of enduring pain or adversity with perseverance and resilience. Stoics focus on the things they can control, let go of everything else, and turn every new obstacle into an opportunity to get better, stronger, tougher. As Marcus Aurelius put it nearly 2000 years ago: “The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way....to turn every new obstacle into an opportunity to get better, stronger, tougher.

I also recommend this for every survivor's library: Surviving Survival: The Art and Science of Resilience, by Laurence Gonzales.

This book is important because it deals with the aftermath of a severe crisis, which is often worse than the shock of dealing with the initial event(s).

For many years, I have dealt with PTSD caused by a seemingly never-ending series of SHTF episodes of many colors, ranging from personal and environmental causes, and falling victim to serious crimes. I coped beautifully during the crisis, but in the weeks, months and years afterward, I struggled to maintain my grip.

This book helped me to deal with the aftermath... the PTSD part. I wish I had found this book decades ago; I probably would have resolved the PTSD a lot sooner.

Here is a blurb from the Amazon book description:

You have survived the crisis--trauma, disease, accident, or war--now how do you get your life back?

The survival experience changes everything because it invalidates all your previous adaptations, and the old rules don’t apply. In some cases survivors suffer more in the aftermath than they did during the actual crisis. In all cases, they have to work hard to reinvent themselves. Drawing on gripping cases across a wide range of life-threatening experiences, Laurence Gonzales fashions a compelling argument about fear, courage, and the adaptability of the human spirit.

Last, but not least: the Bible. With this, I bolster my spiritual mind and heart on a daily basis, because staying spiritually healthy has carried me through severe times better than any other skill or physical prep has ever carried me.

I have not read this one, but found it while browsing in Amazon's book section:

Stay Alive - The Survivor Mentality eShort: Learn how to control fear in situations by using the survival mindset. Kindle Edition by John McCann (Free in Amazon's Unlimited Kindle)

Last edited:
I would add:

Country Wisdom & Know-How is the most complete volume on every aspect of country and self-sustained living-from home and garden to barn and beyond.

Compiled from the information in Storey Publishing's landmark series of "Country Wisdom Bulletins," this comprehensive collection offers step-by-step instructions on nearly 200 individual topics, providing everything you need to know about sustainability, self-sufficiency, homesteading, and DIY living. Topics include:
  • Animals: attracting backyard birds; building bathouses and birdfeeders; training and caring for cats and dogs; raising rabbits, ducks, and game birds; buying and selling horses; building chicken coops; beginning beekeeping; butchering livestock
  • Cooking: recipes for all seasons; the basics of bread baking; making cheese, butter, and yogurt; cooking game; preserving and pickling; homebrew equipment and making homemade wine
  • Crafts: stenciling, quilting, and basket-weaving; making wreaths, potpourri, and natural soaps; homemade gifts and decorations
  • Gardening: starting your garden; caring for flowers and shrubs; controlling weeds; landscaping; growing vegetables, root crops, fruits, berries, kitchen herbs, and more
  • Health and Wellbeing: natural home remedies; herbs for lifelong health; essential oils and aromatherapy; teas and recipes for a healthy diet
  • Home: simple home repairs; building furniture; restoring hardwood floors; making curtains; building fences, root cellars, and smokehouses
  • And much more!
Nearly 2,000 black-and-white illustrations, diagrams, and photographs complement these fascinating projects, and trusted advice on every page makes this the most thorough and reliable volume of its kind.

I also have books on blacksmithing, casting aluminum and building machine tools, Foxfire collection, Bible and Hymnal, Backwoods Home anthologies, the list goes on and on. I am a book pack rat :)

Latest posts

Back