10 things that happens when an economy collapses

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty good, but I think the Utility Interruptions are understated. Sanitation is likely to be huge. If the sewers are full, you aren't flushing any toilets. Do you know how to plug your toilet so sewage doesn't enter your home? Can you collect and move waste away from your home? It's nasty, but it's the #1 health issue and needs to be considered.

Homelessness/migrations/crime is all about the same as I see it. People are looking for something for nothing. Opportunism within rules is one thing, but outside of that it becomes harsh.

This video is good food for thought.

Pretty good, but I think the Utility Interruptions are understated. Sanitation is likely to be huge. If the sewers are full, you aren't flushing any toilets. Do you know how to plug your toilet so sewage doesn't enter your home? Can you collect and move waste away from your home? It's nasty, but it's the #1 health issue and needs to be considered.

Homelessness/migrations/crime is all about the same as I see it. People are looking for something for nothing. Opportunism within rules is one thing, but outside of that it becomes harsh.

i agree with you on both. the utilities interruptions canbe very bad and sanitation is something we all need to think aobut and have a plan.

We had our sewage backflow-preventer valves tested just last year :thumbs: . Lots of inches of rainfall and a power outage on the next block from a hurricane knocked the sewage station offline.
You could see water coming out of the holes in the sewer manhole covers.
No danger of it backing up into the house, but anything you flush is going NOWHERE!
I posted a pic of our portable 'throne' here that saved the day but I can't find it.
Edit: Found it!!!

Last edited:
We had our sewage backflow-preventer valves tested just last year :thumbs: . Lots of inches of rainfall and a power outage on the next block from a hurricane knocked the sewage station offline.
You could see water coming out of the holes in the sewer manhole covers.
No danger of it backing up into the house, but anything you flush is going NOWHERE!
I posted a pic of our portable 'throne' here that saved the day but I can't find it.
Edit: Found it!!!
There's also Lug-a-loo - some have sealable plastic bags so your bucket stays clean (kinda like the kitchen garbage.)
1636674790084.png

I have smiled a number of times as I have driven past the sewage treatment plant on my way to my remodel house. We live up on a ridge with gravity flow between here and there. Plan B would be to dig the out houses that were covered over and my grandmother warned me not to fall into when I was young.

Ben

this was a very well done video aobut things to be expected as a collapse grows. about 15 min

10 things that happens when an economy collapses

Good video jazzy. Thank you.

In the end society will recover. Prepping to survive the SHTF is only step 1. Like many things in life successful plans do not end in the middle but the follow through and how we finish. Planning to THRIVE in the recovery is worth considering.

Ben

I am not that optimistic that things will recover . Venezuela is still waiting for their economy to recover after , how many decades ? Under the United States new Communist regime , I see no reason they would relinquish control of the government back to the people . We can hope we will regain control , but three more years of communist rule , with total disregard to legal rights or laws will leave the United States in an unrecoverable collapse . The most likely type of government to arise from the collapsed nation would be something similar to the Government of Communist China . How well you endure or survive in the coming collapse will be revolving a lot if you actually prepared , just pretended to prepare or stuck your head in the sand and said over and over it will soon get better . --- I noticed on the opening video we have already experienced 8 of the 10 things they said to expect to happen and with the last 2 already in the planning stages .

I am not that optimistic that things will recover . Venezuela is still waiting for their economy to recover after , how many decades ? Under the United States new Communist regime , I see no reason they would relinquish control of the government back to the people . We can hope we will regain control , but three more years of communist rule , with total disregard to legal rights or laws will leave the United States in an unrecoverable collapse . The most likely type of government to arise from the collapsed nation would be something similar to the Government of Communist China . How well you endure or survive in the coming collapse will be revolving a lot if you actually prepared , just pretended to prepare or stuck your head in the sand and said over and over it will soon get better . --- I noticed on the opening video we have already experienced 8 of the 10 things they said to expect to happen and with the last 2 already in the planning stages .
So we agree with all but item # 10?

Fair enough.

I wonder how rural Venezuela fairs vs urban.

They can't all be living in big cities eating zoo animals and dogs can they?

Ben

Latest posts

Back