100 Essential Non Food Items

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morgan101

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Just ran across this on You Tube, and thought it would be good to share with the group. It is a little long, but they go through the items pretty quickly. Very brief explanations. Most of us probably already have most of what is on this list, but it is a good validation as well. I didn't keep a scoresheet, but I think I would score in the high 80's or low 90's for items I already have.

Not abad video, thanks. I kept track. I do not have Baby stuff, no kids. No charcoal or lighter fliuid, but I have alternates. No flares. No slingshot, but a buttload of air rifles. No Hammock, cant get into one, can't sleep in one, and if I get out I won't be able to move.

#98 is bat sh(**) crazy, write down my plan for EVERY contingency??

Otherwise, that list is covered

I wrote down every thing on their list,
Some of the items they repeated, very nice list I am short:
a gas mask
solar charger
the hand cranked radio
No Hammock, got a couple of cots
and Pepper spray

A score of 95 isn't bad

I went back through it myself to keep score. I found about 10 items that I didn't think were applicable, at least not to me. The baby stuff does not apply even though we do have a lot stashed from when our kids were little. The pet stuff wouldn't apply if you didn't have pets. I'm haven't heard anything good about rechargeable batteries. Not sure why you need both. I didn't see a need for flares, either.

I do need a pair of bolt cutters, and more and better goggles. I have many hand written lists, but not a hand written list of contacts. Not a bad idea, but if the phone doesn't work to be able to check your contacts I'm not sure that land line service would be able to call anyway.

Last edited:
Discount the ten repeats like Alcohol & hand cleaner or 4 types of blankets.
I have everything else, but baby supplies & only about 50 gallon fuel.
A few he did not count.

There are five items that I don't think apply to me. The one thing I'm missing is a tent. There was a fire that burned through not far from me so I donated my tent to one family. I also gave away several old suitcases and duffel bags at the same time. I went over to a shelter at a school near me. They made an announcement and I handed the stuff out to those that were interested. Places like the Salvation Army have tons of clothes but people need a way to carry those items.

There are five items that I don't think apply to me. The one thing I'm missing is a tent. There was a fire that burned through not far from me so I donated my tent to one family. I also gave away several old suitcases and duffel bags at the same time. I went over to a shelter at a school near me. They made an announcement and I handed the stuff out to those that were interested. Places like the Salvation Army have tons of clothes but people need a way to carry those items.

If I did that my wife would probably stand out front and cheer. I have an admitted obsession with backpacks. I never met one I didn't like. They are everywhere. That is an item where I feel I have a lifetime supply. We also have a lifetime supply of luggage. That is from her hoarding gene; not my obsession.

I only have two Duffel bags & about five back packs, five awal bags & eight gym bags, which non military personal call duffel bags. Hike five miles with a real duffel bag & you will know the difference.
Now tool rolls I have many, too many to guess, mechanics would throw them away & toss loose tools in their tool box. I recycled the tool rolls & a few soft pack tool bags, anything compact is good, multitool & multi-tool carriers are better.
Plastic buckets are great for carrying item & water, great seat to work or rest on.

For the most part, that is a good list, better than most. Since there should be a part two and a part three I don't see the need to duplicate items. Most of the things that don't apply to me certainly do for others.

I see prepping as a journey rather than a destination.

If I did that my wife would probably stand out front and cheer. I have an admitted obsession with backpacks. I never met one I didn't like. They are everywhere. That is an item where I feel I have a lifetime supply. We also have a lifetime supply of luggage. That is from her hoarding gene; not my obsession.
Brother, me too! Backpacks of all type are in my supplies. When someone has a giveaway and there is a backpack, it is mine! They have so many purposes.

I tease Hubby about his backpacks - call them his man purses 😂
I agree with others: duplicates etc. I have no use for baby formula. Some items I won't get -bivvy or solar battery chargers. I wouldn't mind getting a sling shot and should get some water tablets, but otherwise reasonably covered.

Thinking on this after posting: can I just be "that" person for just a minute. It is a good list, but does anyone else wonder just how our ancestors survived without batteries, games so people are distracted, hand-warmers etc.? Honestly what does a baby need: mother and diapers which don't have to be disposable. I realize this is a prepper list, but what good will snares and traps do to all the vegetarian and vegans, let alone if they got something and didn't know how to process it. And seeds won't do any good if you are on the move &/or if you don't know how to make them grow. I know we've mentioned it elsewhere, but one thing omitted from the list is knowledge to use said items. I think about 1/3 of those (mind the repeats) are not necessary. Even cast iron which I hold near and dear to my heart- more accurately, a good pot is essential. A pot can be different metals, but rather than just saying cast iron where most will think of a frying pan, a pot is better so you can boil water, wash things, or cook food. Also, other metals are far lighter than cast iron if on the go I don't want to be the one packing a cast iron frying pan.
Again, it's a good list, I just think sometimes these videos are made to promote consumerism rather than practicality. Okay, I'm done.
Please forgive me my prepper sins.

thank you that was a pretty good video. i think aobut taking care of my family in hard tmes and also try to think about what canbe traded downt he road. baby stuff like cloth diapers, plastic pants, diaper cream stuff, bottle s, canned or dry formula even etc, could be real valuable. ya never know.
but thanks M101

Thinking on this after posting: can I just be "that" person for just a minute. It is a good list, but does anyone else wonder just how our ancestors survived without batteries, games so people are distracted, hand-warmers etc.? Honestly what does a baby need: mother and diapers which don't have to be disposable. I realize this is a prepper list, but what good will snares and traps do to all the vegetarian and vegans, let alone if they got something and didn't know how to process it. And seeds won't do any good if you are on the move &/or if you don't know how to make them grow. I know we've mentioned it elsewhere, but one thing omitted from the list is knowledge to use said items. I think about 1/3 of those (mind the repeats) are not necessary. Even cast iron which I hold near and dear to my heart- more accurately, a good pot is essential. A pot can be different metals, but rather than just saying cast iron where most will think of a frying pan, a pot is better so you can boil water, wash things, or cook food. Also, other metals are far lighter than cast iron if on the go I don't want to be the one packing a cast iron frying pan.
Again, it's a good list, I just think sometimes these videos are made to promote consumerism rather than practicality. Okay, I'm done.

Point taken, LadyL. I agree. There are many items that would not apply depending on the situation, but overall I thought it was a good list.

Man Purses are a completely different category from backpacks, but I love them just the same. At last count I had ten that I could find. There are at least a half dozen more that are in use. That is a separate count from the backpacks.

Point taken, LadyL. I agree. There are many items that would not apply depending on the situation, but overall I thought it was a good list.

Man Purses are a completely different category from backpacks, but I love them just the same. At last count I had ten that I could find. There are at least a half dozen more that are in use. That is a separate count from the backpacks.
So it's clutches and shoulder bags for you eh? 😂

I'm a backpack guy too, although I've whittled down the number in recent years. I carry my gear in a pack at work and they only last 6-12 months in that environment. So I've used a few up in recent years. I do have a carry on bag, with wheels and a telescoping handle, that also has stowable pack straps. I used one like it as a carry on for flying for over 5 years on many dozens of flights. The current one is now in my emergency gear. If there is an evac event, it will be my carry all.

I have started stashing sack packs - you know, the little bags with the strings that go over your shoulders. They won't do for heavy duty work, but they take up little space and they've got enough capacity to help get you out of a jam...

I agree with this post, but.......... my twisted little mind would not leave it alone.
So............... kill two birds & all that.
Survival Playing Cards + Plant ID
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2324980340...yDVgEFw9cMIaNsjz2TWT_-j9XDBGljpYaApJpEALw_wcB

Playing cards have been around for a long, long time. Games have been around for even longer. I used to teach the Seven Steps to Survival, play is #7. You need to keep your spirits up. Books, games, cards, music, et cetera. All work and no play... Keeping your spirits up is as important as keeping your body up.

Playing cards have been around for a long, long time. Games have been around for even longer. I used to teach the Seven Steps to Survival, play is #7. You need to keep your spirits up. Books, games, cards, music, et cetera. All work and no play... Keeping your spirits up is as important as keeping your body up.
I'd like to see your 7 steps. Maybe you could start a thread on it. I have read of the "5 C" rule:

Container
Cordage
Cutting tool
Cover
Combustion

Add those to the most important "C" - your Cranium, the knowledge in your head - and you can get out of most any jam...

Do not forget"Winter is coming".
Where is the north star?
Where is water & how to find it.
A small frying pan in a bugout bag.

Latest posts

Back