1000 pound club

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin76

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I am unofficially/officially? in the above mentioned club.

Combined total of the 3 main lifts.
Tested my 1rp max today in the gym.

Squat: 396 - 180kg
Deadlift:413 - 188kg
Bench: 209 - 95kg could have done 100kg but it hurts.

Combined total 1018

I hate benching, any lift you need to lie down and do isnt a lift in my opinion. Plus it always hurts my shoulder no matter what form I do.
Going to change to train the overhead press more.

That is all.

Now bring me meat and a flagon of ale!

Good for you! Congrats. Some solid numbers. When I was in my late teens I wanted in to the 350# bench club so bad. I worked my butt off and ate protein like a wild animal. Then I partially tore a pec while pushing up 315# and decided one rep max was not a good idea. I eventually made it (in theory) using a one rep max calculator to estimate. I can put on 225# and push it up as many times as I can and calculate my 1RM.

Good for you! Congrats. Some solid numbers. When I was in my late teens I wanted in to the 350# bench club so bad. I worked my butt off and ate protein like a wild animal. Then I partially tore a pec while pushing up 315# and decided one rep max was not a good idea. I eventually made it (in theory) using a one rep max calculator to estimate. I can put on 225# and push it up as many times as I can and calculate my 1RM.

Benching was never my thing, I did it for the numbers, but no matter how I arch my back, tuck my elbows, wide grip, narrow grip, plant my heels to drive through, it still hurts my shoulder.
Now, over head press I can do no problem, 165# no pushing with the legs just a good solid 3 rep max. Pain free!
Was never really one for checking the the 1 rep max, I've seen to many injuries just like your torn peck happen. This was just an ego test because I felt really good that day and got a pr on my squats so I went for it. And since I train alone, I was in a power cage with safety bars just to be safe.

Still feels good, I credit all of this to my son and my wife.
6 years ago I was 140lbs of nothing, smoking 2 packs a day, drinking beer every night , eating once a day, and generally in rough shape. Hating my miserable civilian life...
My wife getting pregnant was the kick in the nuts to straighten our lives out and be healthy for our boy. Haven't had a smoke since, have a beer maybe 3 times a week at dinner, eat right and eat a lot, and am now up to 205# Best shape of my life!

All, I have been doing is mostly powerlifting/strongman training. I even got a half beer keg I filled with sand and water. My neighbors find me strange.
Not looking to compete, maybe after we move back to the states i'll give a shot at one competition.

I just love the lifts and being strong and getting stronger.
Something primal about picking up something heavy and hoisting it overhead.

I competed in the 90kg class before the 90kg fireplugs came along, In the judged competitions the shorter the distance you had to move the weight the better you could do, I am 6' 2'' and a 90 kg guy comes in at 5' 6'' !!!!

Not trying to be a worry-wart.. but

but I worry about your deadlift number... I used to deadlift 440lbs.. then I had a check up from an Army doctor.. He gave me an MRI and told me he doesnt like the look of my discs. No herniation (yet) but they were definitely getting beat up.
He told me to refrain from deadlifts and heavy Squats.

I did and never looked back.
I believe a high degree of tactical fitness is possible w/o deadlifts and high lb squats.

I know this is a bit of a thread hi-jack ( and i hate those!) but I dont want my brothers-in-arms to ultimately diminish themselves due to overuse and then have issues when the chips are really down.. :)

Good job. I loved powerlifting, was never good at bodybuilding. No legs no matter how much I was squatting. Last meet was in '98. My best total was 1270 weighing 179. I had a good Sq. with a subpar bench. My D/L is what won my meets for me.

Back