• Welcome to Homesteading & Country Living.
    We are glad you came to visit.
    Ads in your way? Register/login and read with less ads, or ask how to get rid of them.

10K quarantined in Vietnam

Help Support Homesteading Forum:

DM1791

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I had a conversation on Twitter today with a lady who is from NY city. Her and her husband just got back from a trip to Vietnam a few days ago. Her husband started feeling ill shortly after returning with fever, chills, muscle aches, etc. They went to the doctor and her husband tested negative for both types of Flu and strep. So far they hadn't done a coronavirus test, but they have been going all over NY city for more than a week to various doctors and what not since returning.

DM1791

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Given the situation in Singapore and the unanswered questions about asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic cases not represented in the "official" numbers (and also likely not caught through screening and containment measures) I would SERIOUSLY question any trip to SE Asia right now. If I were you, I'd also encourage them to pay you via paypal or something similar if there is payment involved, that way you don't have to have direct contact with them for a while after their trip, if they still end up going.

At this point I don't think there's such a thing as being "too" cautious with regard to this virus. Simply too many unknowns.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I am scheduled to dog sit for a couple who is going to Vietnam in the next week. He was already questioning whether they were going or if they were going to cancel their trip. I meet with them in the morning, so time will tell.
Met with the girlfriend today, and I knew it was not my place to say not to go to Vietnam, so I didn't. When I asked if we would be able to text, she told me they had changed their plans, and they are going to Puerto Rico instead. I know they have been to PR a few times. They would like to own property there. I am relieved for them. But after they made the decision, they found out that their flight was cancelled to Vietnam. It made me wonder how many flights have been cancelled to Asia?

angie_nrs

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I wonder how this is going to impact the spring break crowd? Will they still go south or cancel their plans? I bet most of the college crowd still goes. If the infection spreads through the carribean, it could come back to all college campuses across the nation. That would be a real mess!

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I wonder how this is going to impact the spring break crowd? Will they still go south or cancel their plans? I bet most of the college crowd still goes. If the infection spreads through the Carribean, it could come back to all college campuses across the nation. That would be a real mess!
My guess is that many people won't change a thing about traveling anywhere. It will be forced on some and that is what it will take for some people to not go.

DM1791

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Met with the girlfriend today, and I knew it was not my place to say not to go to Vietnam, so I didn't. When I asked if we would be able to text, she told me they had changed their plans, and they are going to Puerto Rico instead. I know they have been to PR a few times. They would like to own property there. I am relieved for them. But after they made the decision, they found out that their flight was cancelled to Vietnam. It made me wonder how many flights have been cancelled to Asia?
I've thought the same thing. There was a graphic floating around on Twitter earlier showing the difference in air travel using animated dots to represent flights over mainland China. It had a super busy shot of around the end of October next to a very sparsely populated sky of February 3rd. I know several people who travel to China and SE Asia regularly for business and all of their companies have suspended Asian operations indefinitely. Not sure if gov't was involved in those "decisions."

There was also a video on Twitter showing the harbor in Singapore stacked up with container and tanker ships. I'm talking dozens and dozens of large cargo vessels crowded into the frame, all apparently waiting clearance to dock and offload/onload goods at the commercial ports. Not sure how this compares to normal, but there seemed to be a TON of vessels out in the water, and all of the docks and piers were completely deserted.

The economic ripples of this thing may be more like tsunamis by the time they break on shore.

goshengirl

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
The economic ripples of this thing may be more like tsunamis by the time they break on shore.
That’s what I keep thinking about. Even if our country never sees another confirmed case (which is unlikely), the world-wide economic scene will definitely be an issue.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
That’s what I keep thinking about. Even if our country never sees another confirmed case (which is unlikely), the world-wide economic scene will definitely be an issue.
I think it is going to be a bad scene world wide economically. It is a matter of time and it will be like dominos falling down. I think every aspect of life that is run by money will be affected, from medicine, to food, to utilities, gasoline.

Tank-Girl

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I've thought the same thing. There was a graphic floating around on Twitter earlier showing the difference in air travel using animated dots to represent flights over mainland China. It had a super busy shot of around the end of October next to a very sparsely populated sky of February 3rd. I know several people who travel to China and SE Asia regularly for business and all of their companies have suspended Asian operations indefinitely. Not sure if gov't was involved in those "decisions."

There was also a video on Twitter showing the harbor in Singapore stacked up with container and tanker ships. I'm talking dozens and dozens of large cargo vessels crowded into the frame, all apparently waiting clearance to dock and offload/onload goods at the commercial ports. Not sure how this compares to normal, but there seemed to be a TON of vessels out in the water, and all of the docks and piers were completely deserted.

I made a thread about the major backlog of shipping in China's 3 main ports here
https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/live-ship-tracking-for-singapore-hong-kong-and-shanghai-ports.8779/

Tank-Girl

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I think it is going to be a bad scene world wide economically. It is a matter of time and it will be like dominos falling down. I think every aspect of life that is run by money will be affected, from medicine, to food, to utilities, gasoline.
That's the reason why I brought more electronics -laptop and hard drive enclosure, and planning on buying more jars and lids this pension.

Latest posts

Group Builder