119 Year Old Woman

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I looked for an obituary, and all I found was the announcement of her death and you can leave a comment. I did find this, and it was much more detailed, albeit NPR.
https://www.npr.org/2022/04/25/1094...est-person-japans-kane-tanaka-dies-at-age-119
The world's oldest person, Japan's Kane Tanaka, dies at age 119

April 25, 20225:42 PM ET

2022-04-25t083304z_734500954_rc27ut9ug930_rtrmadp_3_japan-oldest-woman_custom-d6b2c468c64451e44598f1c5b1bb234275b842b6-s1100-c50.jpg

Kane Tanaka, born in 1903, smiles as a nursing home celebrates three days after her 117th birthday in Fukuoka, Japan, on Jan. 5, 2020.
Although she didn't quite make it to her goal of 120 years old, Kane Tanaka still lived long enough to become the world's oldest person — a title she held for the past three years, and attributed to family, sleep, hope and faith.
Tanaka died last week at 119, Japanese authorities announced. Tanaka, who had been living at nursing home in Fukuoka, died on Tuesday at a hospital.
According to Guinness World Records, Tanaka was born prematurely on Jan. 2, 1903 — the same year the Wright brothers brought powered flight to the world. She was the seventh child in her family.
When she was 19, she married Hideo Tanaka, and helped run a family business selling sticky rice, udon, and the Japanese dessert zenzai.
She had four children and adopted a fifth.
Tanaka loved chocolate and soda. During a 2019 presentation ceremony to celebrate her being the oldest person alive, she was given a box of chocolates — which she immediately opened and began devouring.
Tanaka was tapped to carry the Olympic torch during as part of the torch relay leading up to the Olympic Games in Tokyo, but her relatives deemed it too risky given COVID-19.
Earlier this month, Tanaka surpassed Sarah Knauss of the U.S. to become the second-longest lived person in recorded history. Jeanne Louise Calment, a French woman who died in 1997, remains the longest-lived person at 122 years and 164 days.

I looked for an obituary, and all I found was the announcement of her death and you can leave a comment. I did find this, and it was much more detailed, albeit NPR.
https://www.npr.org/2022/04/25/1094...est-person-japans-kane-tanaka-dies-at-age-119
The world's oldest person, Japan's Kane Tanaka, dies at age 119

April 25, 20225:42 PM ET

2022-04-25t083304z_734500954_rc27ut9ug930_rtrmadp_3_japan-oldest-woman_custom-d6b2c468c64451e44598f1c5b1bb234275b842b6-s1100-c50.jpg

Kane Tanaka, born in 1903, smiles as a nursing home celebrates three days after her 117th birthday in Fukuoka, Japan, on Jan. 5, 2020.
Although she didn't quite make it to her goal of 120 years old, Kane Tanaka still lived long enough to become the world's oldest person — a title she held for the past three years, and attributed to family, sleep, hope and faith.
Tanaka died last week at 119, Japanese authorities announced. Tanaka, who had been living at nursing home in Fukuoka, died on Tuesday at a hospital.
According to Guinness World Records, Tanaka was born prematurely on Jan. 2, 1903 — the same year the Wright brothers brought powered flight to the world. She was the seventh child in her family.
When she was 19, she married Hideo Tanaka, and helped run a family business selling sticky rice, udon, and the Japanese dessert zenzai.
She had four children and adopted a fifth.
Tanaka loved chocolate and soda. During a 2019 presentation ceremony to celebrate her being the oldest person alive, she was given a box of chocolates — which she immediately opened and began devouring.
Tanaka was tapped to carry the Olympic torch during as part of the torch relay leading up to the Olympic Games in Tokyo, but her relatives deemed it too risky given COVID-19.
Earlier this month, Tanaka surpassed Sarah Knauss of the U.S. to become the second-longest lived person in recorded history. Jeanne Louise Calment, a French woman who died in 1997, remains the longest-lived person at 122 years and 164 days.
What did she die from?? Of course old age, but anything else??

She had reason to hang on, the big 120, so just wondering??
She had a goal to live to be 120! I have heard that everyone is different but people have an idea of how long they will live and that is often achieved. If someone's family members usually die at around 70 years old, they believe they will too, and many will kind of quit when they get there.

I do know a family where there were many brothers who lived to be 103, 106 and another 100 something. Sons and daughters believed that was true for the family, but one of the sons died 2 1/2 years ago at the age of 73, and his father died last year at the age of 103.

God Bless her, and may she rest in peace. She had a heckuva run. I agree, Weedy. At that age I wonder what her quality of life was like, and if she could do much for herself. Am I splitting hairs here or do I see a difference between being alive and living?

During a 2019 presentation ceremony to celebrate her being the oldest person alive, she was given a box of chocolates — which she immediately opened and began devouring.

This made me chuckle, I'd be the same.

RIP!

Latest posts

Back