1. Welcome to Homesteading & Country Living.
    We are glad you came to visit.
    Dismiss Notice

1269E Logwood Cast Iron Wood Stove

Discussion in 'Product reviews' started by katlupe, Dec 18, 2017.

Help Support Homesteading Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Dec 18, 2017 #1

katlupe

katlupe

katlupe

Awesome Friend Neighbor HCL Supporter

[​IMG]

The promo for this stove is: "US Stove's 1269E Logwood stove is a rustic, heavy duty, cast iron wood stove that is ideal for anyone with nostalgic, outdoorsy taste, or someone simply looking for reliable, cost-efficient heating. Inside this rugged exterior is a modern EPA-certified stove providing a clean-burning heating solution. It is perfect for log cabins, large garages, and shops. With unequaled life expectancy and simple functionality, this stove is durability defined. Tested and certified to UL 1482 by Warnock Hersey International for greater peace of mind and safety assurance. Includes solid cook top surface and a two-piece safety handle that remains cool while the stove is burning. Not approved for use in mobile or modular homes. Installation materials are not Included (e.g. floor protector, chimney connector, thimble, radiation shield, flue)."

[​IMG]

We bought this for a replacement for our wood cook stove for this winter only. It looks cute and if I was happier with it maybe I'd keep it. But no, we don't really care for the design, even though it does keep the kitchen toasty. The fires are hard to start with a lot of smoking which is due to the ceramic blanket that is there to make it up to the EPA standards. On the Amazon reviews many people took it out and it worked good then. We did not.

[​IMG]

What we don't like about it is the door does not have damper so being unable to bank it back is not good. It has one in the pipe but I do not use it and maybe my husband does but I am not sure. The other thing is the handle........ugh! What a crazy design this is! The handle sits in a holder at the bottom of the stove and you are supposed to grab that to use to open the door. Very awkward to use. I use a potholder instead. When I am working in the kitchen this stove is not easy to work with. I would not recommend it. It is made in China and I do not think that is their fault. It is made for a US company called US Stove Company and they should know better. It heats well though but has a very small firebox. Yes, the top of the stove has decorative lids or eyes to make it look like a little cook stove but they are fake and do not open. I have cooked on it and keep a tea kettle on it all day. It was less than $400.00 and we had it shipped free if we picked it up at our local Home Depot. Many people on Amazon complained of breakage, especially the legs in shipping. For now though, we are able to use it and might put it in a outbuilding later on.

2. Dec 18, 2017 #2

katlupe

katlupe

katlupe

Sorry my pictures came out so big because they are coming from my blog. I think I need to change the sizes next time.

3. Feb 2, 2018 #3

MoBookworm1957

MoBookworm1957

MoBookworm1957

MoBookworm1957 Neighbor HCL Supporter

Thanks for the information.

TMT Tactical, Weedygarden and OBG 57 like this.
  4. Mar 8, 2018 #4

captain belly

captain belly

captain belly

Awesome Friend Neighbor

I have one similar to this stove that I use in my shop. my walls are insulated with R13 and I'm heating about 600 sq feet. The stove is rated for 1200 square feet. I have been very disappointed in this stove.
    Pros: looks cool, awesome for cooking, mine is easy to start fires in, and great price
    Cons: Eats woods like crazy, inefficient, Does NOT produce the heat that it advertises. I get more heat from the pipe than the stove, and you can't go 20 minutes without having to put more logs in it.

Save up some money and buy a good efficient stove. You really do get what you pay for.

Terri9630 and TMT Tactical like this.
  5. Mar 8, 2018 #5

hiwall

hiwall

hiwall

That stove is VERY similar to the #27 box wood heater that has been sold for a hundred years. The only control for the stove is the pipe damper. Of course the old ones had no "ceramic blanket". The heater was always at or near the bottom price wise. Countless thousands have been sold through the many years. Like any wood stove there is a learning curve to get it to work as well as it can. Many things effect the stove output. The wood used is a big part. Adjusting the burn rate using the damper is another big factor.
    But those above are correct - this cheap stove well never perform as well as one costs several times this low cost stove.

Terri9630 and TMT Tactical like this.
  6. Mar 9, 2018 #6

Meerkat

Meerkat

Meerkat

We had a coal, log burner in our stone cabin on the lake in 1956-1962. Pot bellied with 2 burners mama made us hot chocolate off of. I can still see the room in my memory today. A couple beds, stove, piano and small table.

TMT Tactical likes this.