20 pound piglet (maybe runt, maybe too young to have adopted) puking spittle. What to do?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

777funk

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
This 20 pounder found its way into a group with some bigger 40 pound piglets. I don't have the story as to if this is just the runt or a different litter.

But... the problem. It's strong as can be when held (goes nuts like any pig when you pick it up) and hard to catch, but it is a little lethargic, doesn't eat well, can't fight for it's food since it's the smallest in the batch, and what concerns me most is that it keeps puking up semi thick clear fluid.

I can't really feed it aside because when I separate it from the rest, it whines to be with the group and will fight its way back. Its determined to be with the other pigs. This is good because it can use the body heat from the others. But... it seems to need some attention. Is there anything I can or should be doing to help it along?

This 20 pounder found its way into a group with some bigger 40 pound piglets. I don't have the story as to if this is just the runt or a different litter.

But... the problem. It's strong as can be when held (goes nuts like any pig when you pick it up) and hard to catch, but it is a little lethargic, doesn't eat well, can't fight for it's food since it's the smallest in the batch, and what concerns me most is that it keeps puking up semi thick clear fluid.

I can't really feed it aside because when I separate it from the rest, it whines to be with the group and will fight its way back. Its determined to be with the other pigs. This is good because it can use the body heat from the others. But... it seems to need some attention. Is there anything I can or should be doing to help it along?
Wonder if it has a blockage in his throat, or irritation? It will probably be difficult to get a look at his stool? In a group it's hard to really observe!

Put it under a heat lamp if necessary, and separate it. It's never going to compete well with pigs twice its size.

Runts are a pain in the butt. Usually they don't last beyond a few days when they're born. If this one has lasted this long, it's got a good shot at making it, but since it's in with the bigger pigs it's going to need special care or it won't gain weight and it may get physically harmed by the others.

Latest posts

Back