20 things to do today to prepare for the greater recession - article

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angie_nrs

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Here is a good article from My Patriot Supply. Yeah, it's part of their advertisement, but it's got some good information in it. I was actually pretty suprised that it was so thourough. I'm more concerned about hyper inflation than I am about an economic depression, but the information is still relevant as long as you complete the steps properly. Some of them listed can be done concurrently, but I think the order depends upon each individual circumstance. Personally, if you are in a position to have everything paid off and don't really need any more land or big hard assets, I'd spend on smaller things that will keep and that you will need or will be able to barter to get ahead of inflation as long as you can properly store it.

https://mypatriotsupply.com/blogs/s...096541519769284997981323929632095371010481424
This article reminded me to make another order for batteries. I noticed a family member had a large pack of them (non-rechargable) on the counter, so I will be purchasing rechargables as a Christmas gift. Also, since hubs has been adding fishing equipment to his stash, he's got more gadgets that require batteries, so I'll make another purchase for us too.

The reuse and recycle part reminded me of when we were kids, we used old wonder bread bags as inserts to our snow boots. Back then, the kids snow boots were junk, so having that extra plastic to keep the felt inserts from getting wet worked better than not having them. I have lots of empty cleaned out containers that we could use if needed but I have quit saving them due to storage space issues. Although, I remind myself that when we start using the things stored in tubs and buckets, those will again become usable storage containers. If times got really tough, I'm sure we'd all be more careful about what we throw away.

The #10 - Stockpile for inflation is what I'm concentrating on now. They list TP, ammo, batteries, coffee and paper products. I think all of those are good suggestions, except the ammo.....since if you didn't get it before now, it's probably gonna be a while before you can get it. Every time I go to Aldi now, I buy a club pack of TP and a pack of paper plates. I don't need either of them, but they store well and I have the room. I told hubs I'll stack the TP along an outside wall for extra insulation, next to the stack of canning jars. The walls are dry, so it's all good, until I need to find another room! I noticed the last time I went to Aldi, the TP had jumped in price and they don't raise their prices very often.

Inflation is happening before our very eyes. It's like a boiling frog, but I can see it clearly. As soon as the sales start after Easter on spring products, I'll be loading up on seeds, fertilizer, and any other gardening supplies that are a good deal. I think the garden is going to be big this year. I hope it does better than last year.

Last edited:
thank you, the list is very good and sensible and i agree with stocking up to deal with inflation, especially if on a fixed income, as prices go up the pinch gets harder. somethings are just getting crazy.

ive been loading up on some simple basics like my supplements, toothpaste, denture stuff, tp, kleenex and herbal things---my favorite herbs for certain tinctures have doubled in cost since last year. i belive any little thing we can do now is going to be a big help later cause its not going to get any better.

one thing i try to get is a couple extra cans of keystone meats. right now amazon has the 14oz can of turkey for $4.99 again, doesnt last long. the 28oz can chicken is still arounf $6.40 but the turkey, pork and beef get real high. i try to get a couple when i can as i use it all the time. ..

i figure if bill gates doesnt want us to eat meat its smart to get meat.

I had to laugh a little at the suggestion to buy rural land. "So your family will have a place to go, you can grow your own crops, and raise your own meat."

Now, these things are all well and good, and necessary, but you don't just waltz right into them without knowledge and experience. Someone could give me a cow for example, and say "Here, raise your own meat". But I'm afraid that would rapidly turn into first, a starving cow, then, a dead carcass in my front yard with me having no idea how to deal with it.

I had to laugh a little at the suggestion to buy rural land. "So your family will have a place to go, you can grow your own crops, and raise your own meat."

Now, these things are all well and good, and necessary, but you don't just waltz right into them without knowledge and experience. Someone could give me a cow for example, and say "Here, raise your own meat". But I'm afraid that would rapidly turn into first, a starving cow, then, a dead carcass in my front yard with me having no idea how to deal with it.
This is where community comes into play. The thing with lists like this is that folks pull 1 piece out - it takes doing all of it together. "Back in the day," Joe might raise a beef and Pete might grow pumpkins/squash, then they just swapped. It wasn't that everybody did everything. Also for work, from butchering to laundry, they often worked together: laundry at Mrs. Joe's in the AM and at Mrs. Pete's in the afternoon. More hands make lighter work. That's a huge part of what's missing today. Anyhoo, my 2 cents.

We have a semi-rural piece of property that I received when my Grandmother passed. We have improved it and love it there and know some folks a few miles away, but don't really know the neighbors, nor do we want to. Just from observation, I don't think the neighbors are our kind of people.

It's OK though. We keep to ourselves, but are respectful of our neighbors. We don't have to be friends to peacefully co-exist. We do our own thing there and have never had any issues. When we see them out and about, we'll give the 'howdy' nod and wave and move along. We could live there if we had to, but I don't really ever see that happening. We also don't intend on selling it, but it is an asset that could potentially come in handy one day.

I love steak, but I have no idea how you turn a cow into one.
I know how to get the tenderloins! :cool:
s
I have field dressed a deer all by myself (while an expert friend told me what to do). I think that is what it is called. Ended up quartering it, and taking a few choice cuts, and donating the rest to a food bank. I've also watched a few videos. No doubt I would make some mistakes the first time, but hopefully it would come back to me.

But, your point is well made. :)

Last edited:
We have a semi-rural piece of property that I received when my Grandmother passed. We have improved it and love it there and know some folks a few miles away, but don't really know the neighbors, nor do we want to. Just from observation, I don't think the neighbors are our kind of people.

It's OK though. We keep to ourselves, but are respectful of our neighbors. We don't have to be friends to peacefully co-exist. We do our own thing there and have never had any issues. When we see them out and about, we'll give the 'howdy' nod and wave and move along. We could live there if we had to, but I don't really ever see that happening. We also don't intend on selling it, but it is an asset that could potentially come in handy one day.

Yep - very much agree.

I have been in this rural area for 25 years now.

I often read posts that say you should work hard to "fit in".

I never did - I was just polite with those I met, waved to people I passed on the local roads and I chose who I got genuinely friendly with carefully.

According to those locals who did become friends, they sometimes hear other local people say of me that "he mostly keeps to himself". But in reality, the subject of me likely rarely comes up in discussions.

Mission accomplished.

@ Hardcalibres that is pretty much what we did. Also our neighbors saw us sometimes struggle through our 4 years of living off grid in an RV. I still think they wouldn't be as welcoming if we rolled in from Cali and built our new place from day one.

A good list, and good advice. I question her causes of the Great Depression. IMHO Milton Friedman gives the best explanation for the cause of the Great Depression, but regardless, there is nothing we as individuals can do about it. We can only plan ahead to survive it.

Storing things for hard times is what we do. Having items for barter is very important, but I would be extremely cautious about bartering with ammunition, to the point of saying "never do it."

And start your barters now! Or yesterday.
I've been leaving a few dozen eggs a week with some Amish neighbors that don't have chickens. Just put them on her porch in the afternoon, because her little ones are napping.
Yesterday she came by and brought me a dz choc chip cookies, an ice cream bucket full of homemade noodles, and a huge turkey mashed potato casserole. Wow! Told her it was too much, but she just smiled.
We give eggs to all our neighbors that don't have chickens. I won't take money for them.

Back