20 Volunteers Perform CPR On Man

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a survivor of 6 cardiac arrests. Had a fire at our place with several fire depts here. When my daughter found me, I had turned purple (she had last seen me 7 min. earlier). A firefighter came running, started CPR. No kit on hand, no defibrillator. I arrested 4x at the house (over approx 25 min), when the paramedics finally arrived they couldn't get an IV in, had to drill into my knee. Finally stabilized me enough to get me the couple miles to town. I arrested again as they arrived at the hospital, the young firefighter (who insisted on staying with me) brought me around again. I arrested a 6th time, an ER nurse took over as the firefighter was too exhausted to continue. Docs called my family in as they said I could not survive. Was AirLifed to city hospital, Docs there told my family I would not survive, or if I did I'd be a vegetable, unable to walk or talk. I woke up, saw I was in the hospital and started asking questions. Docs were in total disbelief. Spent 10 days in the hospital, plus a long slow recovery. I guess my firefighter did CPR properly as all my ribs were broken, most in 2 places. The ER nurse takes credit for breaking my last rib.

The weird thing was I had an out of body experience (which I TOTALLY did not believe in prior to this) and for about half the time they were working on me at my property, I was watching them. My DH argued with my account of things later and told me I was wrong, that my "out of body experience" was just meds messing up my mind. About 3 wks after I got out of the hospital, I drove down to the fire dept. and visited with the Fire Chief. He said what I saw was correct, he had everything written down in his notes and my story matched his notes; it was my DH who didn't remember things correctly. I specifically remembered seeing the paramedics (in blue) around me with a firefighter (in yellow) at my head. The firefighter was taller than the others and slender. I later met the firefighter and some of the paramedics. The firefighter was a slender young man and noticeably taller than the rest. When I observed them during the time I was "dead", I was seeing them from 15-20 feet above, not from the ground where they were working on me.

I have a few lingering effects but am able to get around with a cane. I don't need any care except occasional help with paperwork. Too much paperwork seems to short circuit my brain. I do have short term memory loss, but my docs say that could be partly due to the meds I now take. Life may not be perfect but it sure beats the alternative. I have 4 kids and 5 grandkids I enjoy spending time with (my DH died 3 yrs ago). I'm active in my church. Still have my house pets and a few chickens and rabbits. Thinking about getting some goats again.
I passed my 5 yr survival anniversary last fall...going for 20 more if God doesn't have other plans. I just thank God that firefighter was too stubborn to quit.

Latest posts

Back