2001..ish...Mercedes c230....

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbrianroll

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Buddy has a non running one that he used to drive. Parked, lost key, got new 400 dollar key, wont start. Sat for a few years....thinking electrical issue?? Anyway....anyone here work on one of these? Thinking of getting it for a gas saver...

Don't work on them, but if it has been sitting for a few years you can expect dry-rot on any rubber hoses, the fuel in the tank will most likely be half varnish. The battery would most likely be dead after sitting that long, so I would suggest putting a battery charger on it for a day or so and then see if it will crank... You may need to give it a shot of starting fluid to get the juices flowing. But find out if it will start before getting too involved....

Side Note: Most of these cars have security and other systems that stay on, even while the car is "off", so letting one sit for even a month is an invitation for a dead battery.... The best way to keep a car running is to drive it every week...

Last edited:
Any battery that sits discharged for more than a few weeks is going to be toast. You might be able to charge it but it will have a very short life.
The gas is bad, the fuel system will need a good cleaning and the electrical system will have multiple problems. Just the mold, mildew and rot is going to be expensive. If you want a gas saver then get a Toyota or bike.

Don't work on them, but if it has been sitting for a few years you can expect dry-rot on any rubber hoses, the fuel in the tank will most likely be half varnish. The battery would most likely be dead after sitting that long, so I would suggest putting a battery charger on it for a day or so and then see if it will crank... You may need to give it a shot of starting fluid to get the juices flowing. But find out if it will start before getting too involved....

Side Note: Most of these cars have security and other systems that stay on, even while the car is "off", so letting one sit for even a month is an invitation for a dead battery.... The best way to keep a car running is to drive it every week...
Boy, are you so right on this, for one thing this is the reason our 1989 F-250 SC diesel 4X4 went bad, along with the yellow anti-freeze adding to the problem. A lot of vehicles don't fare well when not driven frequently, gaskets, shaft seals, fuel lines and even heater controll tubes all go bad and aluminum parts get a crusty and of course batteries are drained due to parasitic discharge, even the AM/FM radio adds to that just to keep the favorite stations memorized, along with the computers and security systems that are adding to that small discharge. I grew up with the simplest car and truck systems, ignition coil, condenser, points and distributor, the only thing that could have caused problems was when alternators came along and their diodes might go bad causing battery discharge due to reverse current flow. Generators. generally never had discharge problems unless their regulators went bad, brushes wore out or the commutator micas got too high, all easy fixes and usually the problems would show up ahead of time if you had an ammeter or volt meter in the dash. Yeah, I miss my old cars and trucks.

I second Toyota. My son with family is either going to trade in his Hyundai SUV or his Tacoma for a good on gas commuter. I told him to get the best Corolla he can afford with cash. He probably won't listen. He has the other 2 vehicles for good reason.

. Generators. generally never had discharge problems unless their regulators went bad, brushes wore out or the commutator micas got too high, all easy fixes and usually the problems would show up ahead of time if you had an ammeter or volt meter in the dash. Yeah, I miss my old cars and trucks.
That brings back memories:).
I'd bet money that I am not the only one here old enough to remember using a "Growler";).

That brings back memories:).
I'd bet money that I am not the only one here old enough to remember using a "Growler";).
Never used one of those because all of the electric motors I worked with were either too big or small.

Interesting contraption.

Ever used a meger?

Ben

Last edited:
Ha, thanks. Looked at it today, was mechanically fine when parked, appears water got in the main fuse panel under hood, no destroyed suff put definitely has light rust on stuff, all electrical works, cranks but no start. May fiddle with it a bit to diagnose more...
This is almost free if I bite the bullet, spendy a bit to fix isn't a biggie, plus I need something to do lol. Not necessarily Looking to buy a good car for a gas saver (toyota), no budget at the moment. I have a few motorcycles for good days, but something better than the Nissan would be nice.
Between me and my buddies we are pretty dangerous with tools so theres never a dull moment.....plus...it cant be much worse than my old motorcycle projects lol...

Ha, thanks. Looked at it today, was mechanically fine when parked, appears water got in the main fuse panel under hood, no destroyed suff put definitely has light rust on stuff, all electrical works, cranks but no start. May fiddle with it a bit to diagnose more...
This is almost free if I bite the bullet, spendy a bit to fix isn't a biggie, plus I need something to do lol. Not necessarily Looking to buy a good car for a gas saver (toyota), no budget at the moment. I have a few motorcycles for good days, but something better than the Nissan would be nice.
Between me and my buddies we are pretty dangerous with tools so theres never a dull moment.....plus...it cant be much worse than my old motorcycle projects lol...
My suggestion: go thru the fuel system first.
If it sat for 2+ years, nothing in the fuel system could be considered to be gasoline.
The starting-fluid tip above is valid. If there is spark at the spark plugs, you will see something.

Yup, may bring to place this week to drain gas/clean fuel lines...do all the basic free checklist stuff. I'm not sure if he even checked the fuel pum or spark at the plugs, after the key and battery he was ready lo light it on fire...didnt bug him to much with questions lol.

Well darn, fuse box did fill with water...fuses rusted, ecu sits next it, water rusted through pin from ecu, I'm sure there is more going on but why look further. Ecu needs programmed at dealer with new or used ecu...not worth it.

Latest posts

Back