2019 Garden

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So let me pick y'alls brain a bit.......

What would cause the leaves of the plant to start turing yellow?

An what type of fertilizer are you guys using on your garden?
http://www.saferbrand.com/articles/leaves-foliage-problems

6. NITROGEN DEFICIENCY
sb_us_nitrogen-deficiency

SYMPTOMS: Lower leaves look yellow and become soft and curl inward, then turn brown and crispy before falling off completely.

CAUSE: Nitrogen deficiency always affects the oldest (lowest) leaves first, because when new leaves aren't getting enough of the nutrient to sustain their growth, the plant redirects it from the existing leaves. As plants get close to harvest, it's normal for them to show signs of a nitrogen deficiency. At that stage, you want the plant to direct all of its energy into the fruit or flowers rather than growing new leaves. That's why "bloom" stage nutrient formulas are relatively low in nitrogen.

QUICK FIX: Give plants in their vegetative growth stage a high-nitrogen nutrient formula. Fertilizers made with fish tankage (decomposing processing waste) deliver a strong dose of nitrogen in a form that plants absorb and use quickly.

PREVENTION: A regular dose of an amino-acid supplement in your feeding program ensures that your plants always have access to all the nitrogen they need. Amino acids are building blocks of protein that help plants take up and use nitrogen.

Or it could be heat , compacted soil or potassium or phosphorous deficiency . Give them some fish emulsion

BacP I haven't seen one bale of straw down here. I'd have to have shipped in I guess if I used it.
Plus the hay breaks down a lot faster the the straw.
Besides, all the weeds around here wouldn't stand for any grass seeds taking over.:D

You are right about hay breaking down quicker. I have read that if the hay is put in thick enough it will choke out any seed germinating. I've not used it so have zero experience. This year I have started putting grass clippings between the rows on some plants. So far its working out ok. Wish I had time to put all the clippings on it cause it seems to work better than the straw. Breaks down pretty quick, holds moisture good, Does a fair job with weeds.

You are right about hay breaking down quicker. I have read that if the hay is put in thick enough it will choke out any seed germinating. I've not used it so have zero experience. This year I have started putting grass clippings between the rows on some plants. So far its working out ok. Wish I had time to put all the clippings on it cause it seems to work better than the straw. Breaks down pretty quick, holds moisture good, Does a fair job with weeds.

BacP by next Spring I will know more about it. Grass clippings are great but lately we have had so much to do in this heat we just let them spread on the grass to fertilize it.
We try to stay organic except with hydros. And of course the hay is probably full of chemicals from fields. I still turn compost and use it on beds and containers.
Its time to sow Fall seeds now too.

6. NITROGEN DEFICIENCY

SYMPTOMS: Lower leaves look yellow and become soft and curl inward, then turn brown and crispy before falling off completely.

CAUSE: Nitrogen deficiency always affects the oldest (lowest) leaves first, because when new leaves aren't getting enough of the nutrient to sustain their growth, the plant redirects it from the existing leaves. As plants get close to harvest, it's normal for them to show signs of a nitrogen deficiency. At that stage, you want the plant to direct all of its energy into the fruit or flowers rather than growing new leaves. That's why "bloom" stage nutrient formulas are relatively low in nitrogen.

QUICK FIX: Give plants in their vegetative growth stage a high-nitrogen nutrient formula. Fertilizers made with fish tankage (decomposing processing waste) deliver a strong dose of nitrogen in a form that plants absorb and use quickly.

PREVENTION: A regular dose of an amino-acid supplement in your feeding program ensures that your plants always have access to all the nitrogen they need. Amino acids are building blocks of protein that help plants take up and use nitrogen.

Or it could be heat , compacted soil or potassium or phosphorous deficiency . Give them some fish emulsion

Thanks DrangonL for info. Always good to get reminders like this and more info.

@Support Gunner it can also be a magnesium deficiency turning the leaves yellow. We use Seasol to fertilize our vegetables which is a seaweed emulsion and organic fertiliser. Heat can also be a factor if you are having hot summers. We cover our vegetable patch with 50% shade cloth to stop both the frosts and extreme heat in summer of up to 40 oc.

Thanks for the information.

I have clover all over my yard. I have been considering hay as well but didn't know how well it would work.

Was also thinking about tilling in wood chips, corn husk and cobs into the ground at the end of the season.

I've been reading that the peas produce nitrogen into the soil as well. An that its good to grow peas around the other plants so they can feed off of the nitrogen.
Dont use coastal Bermuda hay or you'll be digging it out for the next zillion years. I use alfalfa or oat hay but only after the chickens pick it over for seeds.

6. NITROGEN DEFICIENCY

Iron deficiency will do it too.

Dont use coastal Bermuda hay or you'll be digging it out for the next zillion years. I use alfalfa or oat hay but only after the chickens pick it over for seeds.

Terri that is a very good idea, let the chickens clean it up first. More great ideas .
We use Bahia down here. Never see any seeds come up from over the years when we had horse and donkey.

Im pretty sure the yellow leaves has something to do with nutrients instead of the hot weather.

The plants in the pots do not have any yellow leaves.
Not sure what else was said but a good 10-10-10 is pretty standard for a lot of veggies. It really depends on the plant. Old Farmers Almanac is a really good resource for this and you can use their website for free.....

We've been harvesting okra every other day and getting a quart or so cut up each time. Jalapenos and Serrano peppers are starting to come in good. Cukes are about done. Tomatos are close to coming in. But there isn't gonna be many of them. Just can't figure out why this year is down so bad. Bell peppers didn't do anything.
I dug about a 1/3 of our onions tonight. Mostly Red Torpedos. They aren't very big, but taste really good. My yellow Copras are still growing, but don't have much size to them yet.
Watermelons have all been stomped and eaten by deer. We are gonna have a nice harvest of Butternut squash when they ripen.
Blueberries are done. Won't be long till we start harvesting our concord grapes. Muscadines are starting to get some size to them as well, but they won't be ready till after labor day.

We've been harvesting okra every other day and getting a quart or so cut up each time. Jalapenos and Serrano peppers are starting to come in good. Cukes are about done. Tomatos are close to coming in. But there isn't gonna be many of them. Just can't figure out why this year is down so bad. Bell peppers didn't do anything.
I dug about a 1/3 of our onions tonight. Mostly Red Torpedos. They aren't very big, but taste really good. My yellow Copras are still growing, but don't have much size to them yet.
Watermelons have all been stomped and eaten by deer. We are gonna have a nice harvest of Butternut squash when they ripen.
Blueberries are done. Won't be long till we start harvesting our concord grapes. Muscadines are starting to get some size to them as well, but they won't be ready till after labor day.

In last couple years so much going on this is the last crops we had really good success with in raised bed. We had a little bit of other crops but not nearly what we did a couple years ago.
Clearing,finishing up hugleculture mound etc,etc,etc, was too much. An it was organic from my compost.
RAkG6v7.jpg

In last couple years so much going on this is the last crops we had really good success with in raised bed. We had a little bit of other crops but not nearly what we did a couple years ago.
Clearing,finishing up hugleculture mound etc,etc,etc, was too much. An it was organic from my compost.
RAkG6v7.jpg
OMG, I didn't know you were a fan dancer!

I found a cucumber that weighed about 3 pounds. We didn't see it and it kept growing. Figured it wasn't much good so it went to the neighbors goats.
When the goats see me or my wife they come running to the fence. I asked the neighbor and I think he said it was OK. His English isn't much better than my Spanish and my Spanish is limited to a couple of words.

Latest posts

Back