2020Mar Plant Hunt

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I finally got time to do a little plant hunting today… Boy did I need it! I haven’t been out since October of last year. I find being out in the woods and fields immensely relaxing, good for mind, body and soul.

I checked several places medicinal plants grow every year and I found a few new places. I found yellowroot growing in a place I’d never seen it before (Xanthorhiza simplissima). I also found self heal growing in a new place (Prunella vulgaris). I was driving down an old gravel road and decided to stop and check the edge of the woods. There it was! Growing nicely. For me, finding a new place medicine grows is better than finding easter eggs when I was a kid.

Up first is Elderberry (Sambucus canadensis) in a new spot beside a field. It used to grow nearby. I thought the county had killed it all but nature has its ways. The picture is poor but it’s been leafing out for a few weeks.

Plant Hunt E (1).JPG
Plant Hunt E (2).JPG

I found Sweet leaf (Monarda fistulosa) growing is a new place too. It’s one of my favorite medicines. I’ve only explored a few of its many uses.

Plant Hunt M (1) sm.JPG

Self-Heal was growing in a usual spot beside a wooded track hunters use. And the new spot with the coin in the picture. Self-Heal is an ancient wound wart from Europe and Russia. It’s been used to treat major battle wounds for millennia.

Plant Hunt sh (2).JPG
Plant Hunt sh (3).JPG
Plant Hunt sh (4) sm.JPG

Violets are blooming everywhere. Not a medicine but folks make jelly from the blooms.

Plant Hunt Vi (1).JPG

Next is Yellow Jasmine (Gelsemium sempervirens)… it was blooming in hundreds of places. The bright yellow blooms fill the woods with color this time of year, a harbinger of spring. It’s a very powerful medicine that was used in hospitals for major surgery up until 1900 or so.

Plant Hunt yj (1).JPG
Plant Hunt yj (4).JPG
Plant Hunt yj (5).JPG

I didn't find this yellow jasmine vine today. It was growing in a little courtyard outside my dads hospital room back in Janurary... sort of protected from the cold and blooming early from the heat of the building...

Someone chose the plants in this courtyard... I'm sure it was a board member of the hospital... I'm also sure they knew the medicinal history of this vine. They even erected metal harbor for it.

Yes @Bacpacker It was a wonderful day!
herbs (5) sm.JPG
herbs (6) sm.JPG

We use to see all kinds of plants like MaPops, Sweet Shrub ,crapapples, plums but don't see as many wild plants like that anymore.

I really appreciate how you include the scientific name in your posts. Helps me learn. :)

We bought property in Appalachia a couple years ago, and we're still learning what all is growing there. I was thrilled to see all the elderberry - unfortunately the poison hemlock likes the same spots. We're working on getting rid of the poison hemlock (biennial) by brush mowing and keeping it from going to seed, and we have to figure some way of getting to what seed is already in the seedbed... But then we hope to let the elderberry flourish again.

It's weird how often I find wonderful medicinals growing side by side with some really toxic plants. In these parts it's not poison hemlock I find with elderberry but water hemlock. The scary part is elderberry blooms and leaves are remarkably similar to water hemlock... @goshengirl check the leaves...

Hemlock (1).jpg
Hemlock (2).jpg

Water hemlock only grows in wet swampy ground or right next to water hence the name. For a long time I would only harvest elderberry if it grew on dry hills or fields. These days I can spot the difference just from the geometric shape of the limbs. That just takes looking at a few thousand plants... experience.

Elderberry is sloppy... sloppy blooms, limbs every which way... all parts of water hemlock are very symmetrical, as if drawn by an architect. You can see the limbs just above... all are almost a perfect 45 degrees...

Water hemlock only grows in wet swampy ground or right next to water hence the name. For a long time I would only harvest elderberry if it grew on dry hills or fields. These days I can spot the difference just from the geometric shape of the limbs. That just takes looking at a few thousand plants... experience.

Elderberry is sloppy... sloppy blooms, limbs every which way... all parts of water hemlock are very symmetrical, as if drawn by an architect. You can see the limbs just above... all are almost a perfect 45 degrees...

I just learned the tree we called elderberry is not an elderberry. :dunno:

Latest posts

Back