23 months off grid.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cascadian

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
We have electricity! For those of you from the old forum may remember us turning our 10 year plan into a 10 month plan. We purchased some land in Oregon with the plan to retire there and leave komifornia in the rear view mirror. After visiting several times we said why wait and jumped in early.

In most respects we are glad we did it. We didn't think it would be easy but most of it has been harder and taken more money and time. We are really glad we didn't wait until we were 65.

We have the driveway, well and septic in. We still need to run power to the well and it's the pump and such. As far as living space we still live in a 32ft triple slide 5th wheel. I is really nice but still a small Rv. We are looking to go bigger next spring. Probably a manufactured home it should last the rest of our lifetime anyway.

Glad to hear things are coming along for you. a couple questions about your place. How did you set up the well and septic for the RV, but still be able to connect to another place in the future?
We are thinking about doing similar to you in the future and those are 2 major connections I have given a lot of thought to with no good answers in my mind yet.

I have to say that at 75+ years and many more projects to take care of, sooner done is far better, it's getting harder to get everything done that I want done. I'm trying to get my son over with a post hole drill for the concrete support bases for the solar array, I want to get my charge system for the batteries off of the grid and let the solar system take care of them, ASAP.

Well technically speaking we are bending a few rules. We started by purchasing a large property in the country. The well drilling was part of the purchase agreement. We put in a septic system big enough for 2 homes. By the way we are allowed a caretaker 2nd home as long as one is on wheels/ not permanent. In order to get power we got a barn permit.

We had hoped to build this summer but will have to wait until spring.

Latest posts

Back