• Welcome to Homesteading & Country Living.
    We are glad you came to visit.
    Ads in your way? Register/login and read with less ads, or ask how to get rid of them.

357 candidate for a new accurate load

Help Support Homesteading Forum:

SheepDog

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Over the last month I have been loading 357 ammo to find the most consistent load in my gun. Yesterday I tested the last 5 loads (10 rounds of each) and found a load that produced a standard deviation of just 0.80% of the average muzzle velocity. Now I will continue my tests with that load to make sure that it is consistent over a wide range of circumstances and conditions. Checking the actual accuracy on target will wait until warmer weather and calmer winds. I was surprised to find the consistency at a load just 0.1 grains below the maximum load for that bullet and powder combination and even more so at the velocity, which is a secondary concern for me.
The load is hotter than is recommended for most 357 revolvers and is rated for Contender and Ruger guns only. It uses 19.5 grains of H110 under a 140 grain JHP bullet that leaves the muzzle at 1599 + average velocity. Most of my manuals show this load going 1300 to 1400 fps from a 7 inch test barrel and my gun is a six inch revolver. There are no signs of high pressure as the cases all fell from the cylinder under their empty weight and the primers are all still well rounded at their perimeter.
At 0.1 grain higher the maximum load had a standard deviation of 0.88% of muzzle velocity and the load 0.1 grain lower had an SD of 0.89% of average velocity. Although I haven't tested the load for accuracy I do expect it to perform well out to about 125 yards. Time and testing will tell the truth.

viking

I know a lot of things, but master very few
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Sounds like your pressures aren't all that bad, are you using the newest manuals? It seems that some of the newer manuals have brought their loadings down a bit, I noticed that when comparing my old Speer manual loads against new manuals. Many years ago I knew a guy that bragged about his heavy loads with H 110, he had a Colt Python and I asked if I could look at it and when I did I noticed that he had flame cutting on the backstrap just above the cylinder/barrel gap as well as some flame cutting on the forcing cone area, I told him to back down on the powder charges or he'd ruin a beautiful handgun. This is the same guy that was designing a bullet proof podium for a judge, he was shooting at a tempered steel plate that was to go inside the podium, he was too close when he fired at it and lead particles came back at him just above his belt, sometimes I wonder if guys like him outlive their stupidity.

SheepDog

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I am using the Sierra manual 5th edition, 6th printing and my notes from years of reloading.
My load is listed as Ruger and Contender load only in my notes but is also listed in the standard Sierra loads too!
The pressures appear to be easily in the safe zone in my Security-six and I'll let you know how they work in the GP100 as soon as it warms up a bit.

ssonb

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Looks like that will be a great load in a rifle.

ssonb

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Now hold on a minute thar ssonb they didnt make any of them thar 357 magnums in 1894...... But I guess y'all cought that .

Latest posts