4 species of squash

Help Support Homesteading Forum:

elkhound

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
i just learned something new last few days. according to this theres 4 species of squash and they wont cross pollinate. i thought all cross pollinated. this is great news as i can plant 4 types out and get variety and still get seed for my own seed banks.squash talk starts at 58 minute mark. lots of good info in entire video.

elkhound

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
i screen shot the 4 types/families of squash you can grow.

screenshot-www.youtube.com-2021.05.19-09_50_31.png

screenshot-www.youtube.com-2021.05.19-09_52_37.png

elkhound

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
been looking through my seed stocks and trying to figure out types i can plant. i had to do some research to find families some were in so i could decided and be sure of not getting cross pollination. i lucked up and have seed for 3 families...so..i am going with south anna butternut( Cucurbita moschata )small sugar pumpkin(cucurbita pepo) and strawberry crown squash( C. maxima) so i have first 3. i have some very old cushaw seed my grandfather saved but it was collected before his death in 2009 so not sure if that seed is any count. that makes it at least 12 year old seed but i am sure its much older. i am about to run out of room so these 3 will be it i think.

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Last fall I saw these at my favorite mom & pop produce stand, very educational. I had no idea there were so many varieties of squash. Or that there are only 4 basic species, all the rest are varieties derived from those 4. Thanks for posting the vids!

Gourds sep20 (3)a.JPGGourds sep20 a  (1)a.jpgGourds sep20 a  (2)a.jpgGourds sep20 a  (4).JPGGourds sep20 a  (6).JPGGourds sep20 a  (8).jpgGourds sep20 a  (9)a.jpgPumpkins (3) sm.JPG

Bacpacker

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
been looking through my seed stocks and trying to figure out types i can plant. i had to do some research to find families some were in so i could decided and be sure of not getting cross pollination. i lucked up and have seed for 3 families...so..i am going with south anna butternut( Cucurbita moschata )small sugar pumpkin(cucurbita pepo) and strawberry crown squash( C. maxima) so i have first 3. i have some very old cushaw seed my grandfather saved but it was collected before his death in 2009 so not sure if that seed is any count. that makes it at least 12 year old seed but i am sure its much older. i am about to run out of room so these 3 will be it i think.
Elk i can probably get you some Cushaw seed if you want it. My dad grows some most years and saves seed.

elkhound

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
@Bacpacker thanks man ! but i was out at my local farm store looking for some sweet potato slips and i looked over at seeds on wall and there was cushaws so i grabbed a pack. thanks again !

viking

I know a lot of things, but master very few
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
This year we are going to grow just two types of squash, Black Zucchini and Straightneck yellow Zucchini, we have found these two to have the flavor we like best. And yes I have seen pink monster cross breeds, zucchinis allowed to get out of hand, you know the ones that hide until they get so huge you can't use them, it's amazing how big they can get and how tasteless they can be, chickens like them so they really don't go to waste.

LadyLocust

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Thanks Elk, I will try to watch it in the morning - at least from the 58 min. mark. Cushaws are tasty! We also like butternut squash. @Peanut I got one of those squash in your first photo, can't remember the name - that one was kinda bland. If you wanted it as a base for a soup, might be alright not a real distinct flavor. Problem here is that whatever I plant will cross pollinate with whatever the neighbors decide to plant. I interpret that is that as we have too many neighbors too close :)

joel

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I have a book on growing Gourds, that shows the squash family tree. However I have always been taught squash cross very easy, which is true in each species. I did not know that they would not cross species.
I knew watermelons, cucumbers & gourds would not cross, but all squash would cross. Now I know better!
Thanks, elkhound
Botanical Categories Botanists divide squash into six main species, four of which are commonly grown as tender annuals. While squash within any of these species easily cross-pollinate, separate species do not. By planting a cultivar from one or more of the four species, you can confidently harvest seeds that are true to type. Common Cucurbita maxima cultivars include “Buttercup,” “Hubbard” and “Turban.” Cucurbita mixta includes all cushaws except the “Golden Cushaw,” “Orange Cushaw” and “Orange Striped Cushaw,” which belong to Cucurbita moschata. The Cucurbita moschata grouping also includes “Cheese” and the better-known “Butternut.” The large Cucurbita pepo group includes all “Acorn,” “Cocozelle,” “Crookneck,” “Gourd” “Scallop,” “Vegetable Marrow” and “Zucchini” squash.
SMARTASSET.COM
Squash Pollination If you want to grow several cultivars from a single species (say, a variety of zucchinis) and you save seeds, hand pollinate. This allows you to develop seeds uniquely suited to your growing climate. Large squash flowers make the job easier. To prevent insects from getting to the flowers before you do, tape the tips of both male and female flowers shut shortly before the blossoms open. While female blossoms sit on top of an ovary clearly resembling an immature squash, male blossoms attach to the end of a straight stem. By stripping the petals from the male blossom, you can use it to paint the female’s stigma with the exposed pollen.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I am interested in this idea of 4 types of squash. I do know that when some squashes are planted too close to cucumbers, they cross pollinate and the cukes become yellowish. Cukes also turn yellowish if not picked soon enough.

Amish Heart

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I think half my garden is some type of squash or another. Cucumbers are a big deal here, but there's only so much to do with them...eat fresh, relish, pickle. I have a lot of cucumbers planted, but my cousin said she'll take any extra for whoever's turn it is for church and the lunch that follows. Fresh cucumber salad is often served with lunch, and I think it has vinegar and onions in it.
I like the winter squash because I know it becomes part of food storage. Mostly the acorn and butternut

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I think half my garden is some type of squash or another. Cucumbers are a big deal here, but there's only so much to do with them...eat fresh, relish, pickle. I have a lot of cucumbers planted, but my cousin said she'll take any extra for whoever's turn it is for church and the lunch that follows. Fresh cucumber salad is often served with lunch, and I think it has vinegar and onions in it.
I like the winter squash because I know it becomes part of food storage. Mostly the acorn and butternut
When I get in the mood, I can eat a jar of dill pickles a week, or sooner. I have never canned any, but I should. I have grown cucumbers and when they are producing, I eat one a day, and still give many away. I've tried to grow pickling cukes, but not with much luck. I've had much better luck with slicers.

joel

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter

CalicoKatie

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
. . . . Fresh cucumber salad is often served with lunch, and I think it has vinegar and onions in it. , , , ,
It used to be that somebody would always bring a cucumber salad to every potluck supper in the summer. Probably because their gardens were producing an abundance of tomatoes and cucumbers. I liked it best when they added some sour cream to it. These days most people probably use Italian dressing but back then they made their own vinegar and oil.
Marinated Cucumber, Onion, and Tomato Salad Recipe | Allrecipes

I'm putting out zucchini, yellow patty pan and butternut squash, maybe some yellow crook neck if I have room. Believe it or not, I'm just now getting my seeds out. It rained almost every day in May and everything just flooded out. I never like to complain about rain here but it sure would be nice if it would stretch out over the summer instead of all coming in one month.