5 Frugal Habits that May End Up Costing More Money

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sentry18

Thrivalist
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Dental visits got me. Cost me a small fortune.

https://apartmentprepper.com/money-mondays-5-frugal-habits-that-may-end-up-costing-more-money/

Money Mondays: 5 Frugal Habits that May End Up Costing More Money

Spread the love
This post is by Bernie Carr, apartmentprepper.com

Being a frugal person, I am always on the lookout for ways to save a buck or two. But I recently realized there are certain habits that frugal people may do that end up costing money in the long run.

Here are some habits that are basically good, but if not kept in check could end up as an expense.

Stocking up on items and never using them
I had a couple of bottles of hand lotion in my stockpile that were five years old. They expired a while back and I forgot to rotate them. When opened one, I could tell the liquid had separated. I shook up the bottle and mixed it back up but the liquid was runny and not very moisturizing. The worse part was the smell as it had a musty odor that did not dissipate after applying it to your hands.

We always hear “stock up on items while they’re on sale.” I have seen shoppers buying 2o boxes of Captain Crunch cereal, 15 packs or Townhouse crackers as they whip out coupons or discount app in the checkout line. That’s great if you manage to eat or donate these hot buys before they go stale, otherwise it’s a waste of money.

Waiting for the right moment to use something
One of my relatives had several good sets of china, plush towels and comfortable sheets but always kept them in storage for “someday.” But for daily use she always used the old stuff – frayed towels, worn sheets. After she passed away her heirs cleaned out the closets. Many items still had price tags attached. I felt sad she never got to use “the good stuff.”

Putting off auto maintenance
Regular maintenance is easy to put off, especially if there no sign that it is necessary. A lot of people put off oil changes and tire rotations. And some cars will run fine for a while. Until it doesn’t.

Driving with screeching brakes that are getting thin or ignoring the check engine light can end up costing a lot of money in repairs if the problem gets too big.

Putting off medical and dental visits
I know this young lady who put off repairing a cavity for a couple of years. Soon the cavity started getting larger and more painful, but she just kept repairing it with an over the counter dental kit. Those are good to have for emergencies but they are not meant to replace getting fillings or crowns. After a while the toothache got so bad she did go to the dentist but by that time, the tooth required a complicated root canal.

Living a prepared life means taking care of issues before they become a problem, and that includes your health. Don’t put off wellness visits. Being sick is bad enough but being sick in a disaster would be the worst.

Eating old food
I hate to waste leftovers myself but there is a point you should not eat them, especially if it was not stored properly, or if you’ve forgotten how long it’s been in the fridge. Organisms in old food can cause sickness or even death.

When in doubt, throw it out!

Runners-up
I was only going to name five habits but I had a couple more that came to mind so here they are:

The final word
Most frugal habits are great, but some habits, if unchecked, can cost you a lot of money. I’ve been guilty of a few of these myself. What thrifty habits have costed you money? Please share in the comments.

I fail to see how low voltage DC wires can be a fire hazard.
Sparks. Resistance applies to DC as much as AC. Too many amps going through too small a wire. This is exemplified by the 12V resistance lightbulb.

They pointed out "jumper" cables with bare wires as being a fire hazard. A car battery can kick out 1000 or more amps momentarily and produce enough heat to melt 00 copper cables.
Most retail jumper cables are 8 or 6 AWG and are not even good enough to handle the 250 amps that a starter motor can pull. If you short those cables you will have a fire.

"phone chargers that are way past their prime and have exposed wires. This can be a fire hazard, so replace any charging cables that have exposed wiring."

I fail to see how low voltage DC wires can be a fire hazard.
Like this.

Waiting for the right moment to use something is probably my wife's biggest problem.
She has a huge set of fine china and crystal that she has used maybe three times in the 46 years she has had them.
I bought a really nice set of fine china for $25 off Craigslist and we use those daily.
Woman's Grandma died and she didn't want the dishes. I told my wife the same thing will happen to her china.

Last edited:
Like this.

Waiting for the right moment to use something is probably my wife's biggest problem.
She has a huge set of fine china and crystal that she has used maybe three times in the 46 years she has had them.
I bought a really nice set of fine china for $25 off Craigslist and we use those daily.
Woman's Grandma died and she didn't want the dishes. I told my wife the same thing will happen to her china.

Fine China is kind of a thing of the past. I believe there was a time when the royalty and nobility of the world had them and used them, and probably still do. As the common people of the world began gaining more ability, they thought they needed fine China as well. Now, most people do not want it. A good sturdy set of white dishes works for every day and for special occasions. Younger people are getting practical about some things and setting up their own kitchens is one of them. Many want to buy a good set of pots and pans, knives, tableware, glassware, dishes and other basics. They want to buy it once and to not have to replace it or to have multiple sets of dishes and the like. Many young adults have their kitchens set up by the time they marry.

Everyday is special enough to use the best dishes and the good silver. If you wait, you might run out of days before that "special" day comes. I suppose your surviving spouse could get out the special china and silver for the wake...:rolleyes:

Sadly I am guilty of almost all of those things.:(:rolleyes:

Stocking up on items and never using them
Yup, guilty! I have new things in packages, even though I bought them for pennies on the dollar. However, some of those things have saved my bacon in a pinch. If it just helps out on those rare occasions I really need it, I can justify it in my mind. At least the stuff that's still in packages when I leave this world will be easy to sell. In fact, I hope that most of my medical supplies go unused in my lifetime, b/c if I have to use them, it's not going to be a good situation.

Waiting for the right moment to use something
Yes, I do this a lot! I still have a new winter coat I bought for special occasions about 5 years ago (maybe more) with tags still on it. If I only had 5 shirts in my closet or drawer for each season, I'd be set to go. I wear the same thing over and over and over again. If I go back and look at pictures that are a decade old, I'll see myself in T-shirts that are still in my regular rotation.:eek: What can I say?? They are comfy!:p So, I can totally relate to the story told above in the article. Plus, I hate shopping for clothes!

Putting off medical and dental visits
While I'm usually pretty good at dental visits, I do put off medical visits. I do an annual physical maybe once every 2 years or so. I grit through anything else that bothers me. Thankfully I don't have any chronic issues (at least that I know of) that I have to deal with. Healthcare workers are the worst patients!

Eating old food
I have done this as well. I hate to see leftovers go to waste, but now I usually give the meat to the dogs and clean the frig out at least once per week. There's some canned stuff that I have went ahead and used even when I probably should've thrown it out. But, when it comes to a 33 cent can of beans, I am more apt to pitch it than to take the chance on it. This thread is a good reminder to keep it in perspective and not take the chance of getting sick.

For me, I walk that fine line of being prepared for anything vs. going overboard. At this point in my life, I am also more picky about what I buy. I prefer quality over quantity and gravitate towards things that will hold value. Still, if I stumble across something that is an amazing deal, I won't walk away from it.

Latest posts

Back