5 Reasons Chickens May Be a Risky Option for Preppers

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sentry18

Thrivalist
Neighbor
https://thepreppingguide.com/5-reasons-chickens-may-be-a-risky-option-for-preppers/

5 Reasons Chickens May Be a Risky Option for Preppers
By Guest Contributor
https://thepreppingguide.com/5-reasons-chickens-may-be-a-risky-option-for-preppers/#respond
Chickens-May-Be-a-Risky-Option-for-Preppers.jpg

Chickens are undoubtedly one of the easiest animals to raise in a prepping or sustainability situation. They reproduce quickly, provide ample amounts of protein in the form of meat and eggs, grow fast, and they don’t require a lot of energy to care for.

But, are they really the best option for preppers? To help you decide, here’s a list of a few considerations that might make you think about opting for a different form of protein.

1. Chickens Have Specific Nutritional Requirements
If you have plenty of space to free-range your chickens, this won’t be an issue. A chicken can usually find all they need to survive in the wild. However, if you are going to be raising chickens throughout extreme environmental conditions, there’s more at stake.

Think about what you might do if there’s a drought, extreme cold, or even flooding. All of these things can affect what a chicken has available to them while foraging.

The feed we purchase in most agricultural stores will only last about 6 months before it begins to spoil, so stockpiling feed isn’t the best option.

In the wild, chickens eat vegetation’s, worms, insects, fruit, seeds, and nuts. If you can replicate this kind of diet in their environment, your chickens should be happy and healthy.

2. Chickens Need Lots of Space
In order to have a sustainable flock, you need good amount of chickens. Unfortunately, their droppings are highly acidic and if kept confined in small spaces, your chickens can develop respiratory problems.

While they need less space than most livestock, the environment you keep them in is still a concern and should be well-thought-out before going off-the-grid.

3. Chickens are Too Noisy for Off-the-Grid Preppers
If you are going off the grid or forced to go off the grid, you may not want to be found. The sound of chickens might tip others off and your location may become easily uncovered.

In calm weather, a rooster crow can be heard far and wide…and unlike the popular myth that roosters only crow in the morning, they actually keep it up all day long.

Lastly, you can’t forgo the rooster if you want a sustainable breeding program. So no matter what, they will be noisy. And even if you could nix a rooster, hens are plenty chattery on their own.

4. Attracting Predators and Rodents
Not only will chickens give away your location to other humans, but they’re also notorious for attracting other hungry predators and rodents.

Predators
The sounds and smells of chickens can attract dangerous predators like bears, wolves, and large cats. You’ll need to have a method of containing your chickens and protecting them from the many dangers they will face on a daily basis.

The last thing you want is to create a regular hotspot for predators to come for their meals— because once the chickens are gone, they will be looking for more easy pickings.

Rodents
It’s well-known that where there are chickens there are rats and rodents. This is mainly due to the commercial feed we give to our chickens.

The good news is, if you are allowing your chickens to free-range, and they are being nutritionally supported by their foraging efforts, you don’t need to keep feed on hand…thus disease-ridden rodents won’t be as much of a threat.

5. Amount of Chickens Needed To Sustain Your Family
How many chickens you need will depend on the size of your family, and whether or not you have more than one source of protein on hand.

Chickens are a great option for preppers due to their easy-peasy care needs and the fact that you get both meat and eggs from them. However, if you have a family of four, and you eat eggs for breakfast and chicken for lunch and dinner, you are probably looking for at least two chickens a day. This can vary because of all the different chicken breeds and their sizes.

Keep in mind, you don’t want to process every chicken you raise. Some should be kept for breeding, some for laying, and so on. So, all signs point to the fact that you are going to be looking at a pretty large flock!

#2 is not really true. You could have your chickens in rabbit hutches.
#3 is not true. You don't need a rooster and the hens make very little noise.
I do not really believe #4. Attract bears? Come on.

Stupid article. The author should be reading what England did during wartime. A lot of research was done by the British govt to feed the starving citizens. Chickens made the cut. Cows didn't. Rabbits did. And a village pig was approved.
Geesh. You could keep a pair in the house if you had to. And my grandmother would hatch fertile eggs with no electricity.

OK, Chickens are omnivorous, like most birds. You don't need to buy Purina Chicken Chow to feed them. You can easily raise crickets for their protein and feed them fruit and vegetable matter that would normally go to waste. You can grind eggshells into their feed to provide the calcium that they need or grind bones into small grains and mix it into their feed. You can lay out a large area covered in hardware cloth and chicken wire to keep them safe from predators, other than snakes and they can take care of all but the largest snakes themselves. As long as they have a night roost and a dry warm place to be when it gets cold they are fine. Predators are drawn to the sounds and smells they make but predators are a good source of food too.
If you are relying solely on chicken for eat you are already guilty of not planning very well. As my son constantly reminds me, we need bacon! Well we need variety and that mean pork, beef and fish too. The larger mammals need a lot more room and need more protection and medical care than chicken by a long shot but if you have the space you should make use of it.

Chickens were a necessity on farms and ranches for as long as man has had them. They are still just as necessary today. They do make one of the best fertilizers in the world!

#2 is not really true. You could have your chickens in rabbit hutches.
#3 is not true. You don't need a rooster and the hens make very little noise.
I do not really believe #4. Attract bears? Come on.

I could see a bear going for chickens/chicken feed. Or even the water bucket.

Ham, sausage and rendered fat! Bears are worth a lot in the wilderness. (more in the kitchen)

In the four years+ at this place I've seen no evidence of a bear crossing my property. No rats but enough mice to keep the hens entertained.
If I ever get chickens I figure a bucket, with several holes in the bottom, hung near the coop, with a dead critter in it, and covered once the flies find it. The maggots will find their way out the bottom and entertain the chickens while providing protein.

What about borrowing a rooster? How often would you need him and for how long?

i have had bear mash young chickens in a little chicken tractor,bite wire flat on my turkey pen,try to raid my chicken pen and coop and get in my 300 gallon stock tank and break riser pipe and pump out that controlled water hight trying to get fish in the tank..oh and rip outside receptacle out of my wellhouse.

What kind of special diet did the chickens get from the pioneers? Yeah they got some scratch but not nearly enough to sustain them. They ate bugs and seeds etc. They will even kill mice and eat them. Free range baby

I had some that I let roam free and they hardly ate any feed. I did not have a tick one near the house and the yolks were a much darker yellow, almost orange. Man were those good eggs.

Latest posts

Back