5 Ways To Prevent A Burglary While You Aren’t At Home

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sentry18

Thrivalist
Neighbor
I disagree that burglars are "terrified by large breed dogs". That is simply not true. Many career burgers will tell you that large breed dogs give homeowners a false sense of security and will welcome in friendly burglars offering treats and can then easily be locked into rooms. I have been to many burglaries where the owners just could not understand how their big Lab or German Shepard or whatever ("who is such a good guard dog") did not stop them thieves from stealing their stuff.

Otherwise the article makes some good points. I would expand the prime burglary time by a couple hours (earlier) as well and add that many burglars disguise themselves as utility workers.

https://www.shtfplan.com/emergency-...t-a-burglary-while-you-arent-at-home_09092019

Safety First: 5 Ways To Prevent A Burglary While You Aren’t At Home
Sara Tipton
September 9th, 2019
Ready Nutrition

burglary.jpg

It’s already difficult enough for some who live in dangerous cities to protect their property while at home, but it’s even more difficult when you’re away. There are a few things you can do though, to prepare your property for an extended absence – but first, you must think like a burglar.

In a previous article on the subject, an MSNBC affiliate out of Atlanta sent letters to 86 people who had gone to prison for burglary and asked them a variety of questions about their crimes. Their answers could tell you a lot about how to protect your home from this crime. What they told reporters included the following:

• Don’t advertise what you own. One burglar admitted to looking for homes that had cars with NRA bumper stickers, which would indicate that there are plenty of guns to steal there.
  • Burglars don’t just look in obvious places. If they feel safe, they’ll tear everything up looking for hidden valuables.
  • The best time to break into a house was between 12:30 and 2:30, because it’s rare for both kids or adults to be home at that time period.
  • Not all burglars are intimidated by security alarm signs and cameras, and many admitted to knowing how to disable alarms. Some suggested that cameras would indicate that there are valuables in the home.
  • As you might expect, burglars are terrified of large dog breeds.
  • Burglars aren’t typically killers. They don’t want to a serious confrontation with a homeowner, so any sign that someone is home is a deterrent.
5 Ways To Prevent A Burglary While You Aren’t At Home
Going on a long and much-needed vacation is a time to reset our minds and alleviate the anxieties of everyday life. But that can all be for naught if we come to an invasive theft and damages to our personal property. Based on the tips provided by criminals who are doing the time for burglary, making the following changes to your security can make a big difference and keep your home safe from being targeted while you are gone.

1. Have Someone Check Your House Daily
Having someone come by and actually park in your driveway can be a burglar deterrent. Most thieves won’t come inside in broad daylight when they know someone is there. Don’t ask this person (whether it’s a neighbor or a friend or a family member) to do chores unless you are offering some kind of compensation – that can come off as rude. If they have to drive over, make sure you offer compensation for their time, especially if you need some plants watered or pets cared for. But just see if they’ll periodically glance over and make sure the house is still locked tight and the front door isn’t standing wide open, for example.

2. Install Timers on Your Lights
A dark house night after night is a telltale signal to burglars that you are away for an extended amount of time. Set your outside lights and a few inside lights in a few rooms to come on before it gets dark and obvious. This will give the illusion that random lights on inside a house can portray that someone is home. Choose random rooms that you illuminate if you can and change which rooms light up which nights. If the same rooms are lit up at exactly the same time, this can be a green light for the bad guys. Try to set the indoor lights to go off at a random time, like 9:52 pm instead of at exactly 9:30. You don’t want lights that turn on at exactly 7 pm and turn off at 10 pm every night; if someone is watching the neighborhood, and your house, in particular, they’ll notice. Some timer models even pair with your smartphone so you can turn certain outlets on and off at will. (Note that many security systems offer this feature as well.)

Similarly, if you leave your blinds open, don’t close them when you leave. A burglar is sure to notice that your home has been shuttered for days on end when you normally let a lot of light in. Some blinds can be put on timers too now, and like your lights, you may be able to operate them from your smartphone.

3. Pay Someone to Mow the Lawn
Unkept lawns are often a giveaway that the homeowner has not been home in several days. That goes for snow removal as well. In the summer, find a neighbor kid, family member, friend, or landscaping company to mow your lawn and make sure you pay them to do so. The safety of your property is worth it! In the winter, do the same with clearing your driveway and sidewalks of snow.

4. Make Sure You Have Good Insurance Coverage
Although this won’t actually prevent a burglary, it’ll cover you if the worst happens. If you aren’t’ sure what your homeowner’s insurance covers, call your agent and ask some questions. If you rent and don’t have renters insurance, consider picking some up to cover your personal belongings. The homeowner’s policy will often only cover damages done to the house you’re renting and if a burglar takes your TV you could be left replacing it yourself. If you feel like it and can swing the extra cost, boost your coverage before you leave. We upped ours several years ago when we were gone for six weeks and ended up just leaving that policy in place because it added more peace of mind. This may not help some, but not stressing while we were away and relaxing is worth the added cost to us.

5. Beware of What is Posted on Social Media
Internet safety is a must in this day and age. This one often slips people’s minds because posting that picture of their kid on the beach in Hawaii seconds after it’s taken has become commonplace. But doing so can alert sketchy characters to the fact that your family is sunning themselves in Hawaii, and there’s an open invite to terrorize your property. Consider hanging onto your photos and posting a few once you’ve returned home. The kids will still be just as cute as they were a week ago, I promise!

Don’t just stop at these safety measures, make it even more difficult for the bad guys to break in by layering your security. Here are 5 more measures you could add to beef up your home security plan.

Keeping your home safe should always be at the forefront of your mind. Take a look around your home and look for vulnerable spots and accessible entry points. Start making a home security plan using these suggestions and mitigate your chances of being burglarized while you’re away.

Author: Sara Tipton
Views: Read by 1,704 people
Date: September 9th, 2019

Copyright Information: This content has been contributed to SHTFplan by a third-party or has been republished with permission from the author. Please contact the author directly for republishing information.

Also a note on the cameras: My son and I installed some Blink XT2 cams at his little studio apartment. One on the exterior facing his vehicle and coincidentally the mailboxes. Yesterday he received an alert and watched his 20 year old female neighbor open his mailbox, pull out and look at his mail, put it back, and then check her mailbox. Turns out a mistake was made and both mailboxes were keyed the same. He walked over to her apartment, knocked on the door, showed her the video on his phone, and politely asked her to not go through his mail. She never said a word in response, just shut the door when he finished talking. He then saved the video to his laptop and emailed it to the apartment manager asking them to expedite getting the key/lock changed. He was pretty happy we put up those cameras.

I have a 34 foot motor home parked in the driveway. When we go camping it's impossible to hide the fact.
I could store it somewhere else but that is expensive and I like to keep it plugged in.
I ask the neighbors to keep an eye out but that's not a real solution.
I have a couple cameras and signs but those are really not going to help much.

When we go on "vacation" I ask the wife not to tell anyone. As we travel down the road she's typing on her smart phone. She's posting vacation pictures and updating where we are. When I remind her about not telling ANYONE she says she isn't...just her friends, family and customers.

When we go on "vacation" I ask the wife not to tell anyone. As we travel down the road she's typing on her smart phone. She's posting vacation pictures and updating where we are. When I remind her about not telling ANYONE she says she isn't...just her friends, family and customers.

We have had so many people burglarized because of social medial posts we actually had an advertising campaign this past spring about keeping quiet until you return from vacation.

I hope you "straightened out" your wife. :rolleyes: But as already commented on, posting vaca photos and news is an efficient method of alerting bad folks that you are not at home.

There have been families whose homes were burglarized when they were at the funeral of a loved one. I do know that determined people can and will figure it out and take advantage of situations.

We once had a string of burglaries where we found out all the victims went to the same church. A church which had a long Sunday morning service. The burglar turned out to be a former church custodian who would sit in the lot and make a list of who was there, then go to their houses and steal from them. He had stolen a mailing list from the church before he was fired and knew many of the members he was stealing from.

Also a note on the cameras: My son and I installed some Blink XT2 cams at his little studio apartment. One on the exterior facing his vehicle and coincidentally the mailboxes. Yesterday he received an alert and watched his 20 year old female neighbor open his mailbox, pull out and look at his mail, put it back, and then check her mailbox. Turns out a mistake was made and both mailboxes were keyed the same. He walked over to her apartment, knocked on the door, showed her the video on his phone, and politely asked her to not go through his mail. She never said a word in response, just shut the door when he finished talking. He then saved the video to his laptop and emailed it to the apartment manager asking them to expedite getting the key/lock changed. He was pretty happy we put up those cameras.
I once had a neighbor on an apartment complex, a busy-body, nosy family who began having their young son go to my mailbox and bring it to me. I told the management and mailboxes got changed up and secured.

A few years ago my cousin who has the farm adjoining mine had her house burned down by her ex.

That night thieves cleaned out her barn and sheds. They got a couple of side x sides (one a JD Gator), power saws, a riding mower, the washer and dryer she had saved from back porch, gas cans, just about anything that wasn’t nailed down.

One thing is for sure, it wasn’t her ex, he committed suicide when he got home.

How low can someone go… someone loses their home and scum decides to steal what’s left? Of course the sheriffs department didn’t arrest anyone or find her property. The last time I called the sheriffs office it took 47 minutes to get someone out here. He was too busy to even take notes, it was to close to end of shift.

A few years ago my cousin who has the farm adjoining mine had her house burned down by her ex.

That night thieves cleaned out her barn and sheds. They got a couple of side x sides (one a JD Gator), power saws, a riding mower, the washer and dryer she had saved from back porch, gas cans, just about anything that wasn’t nailed down.

One thing is for sure, it wasn’t her ex, he committed suicide when he got home.

How low can someone go… someone loses their home and scum decides to steal what’s left? Of course the sheriffs department didn’t arrest anyone or find her property. The last time I called the sheriffs office it took 47 minutes to get someone out here. He was too busy to even take notes, it was to close to end of shift.

Some people take advantage of situations. After my mother died, my parents home on the farm was unoccupied while the house was being cleared out. Parents had a console stereo that disappeared in that short period of time, before it was all cleaned out and the farm sold. Of course, there were no locks on the doors, so the doors were not locked. It was an easy robbery.

When I discussed that there were no meth convictions in my home country, one of my cousins questioned it. Was there no meth, or did the sheriff just not want to be bothered? I know the sheriff. He was my classmate. He has probably been sheriff far too long. He was also a bully from a very young age. I know this is not true of every LEO.

We don't typically leave for very long to worry too much about it. Even when hubs goes on a week long fishing trip I don't post about it and I ask him not to tell everyone about it until he gets back. I just feel better being home alone if nobody knows I'm home alone!

One thing I would add to the list is to hide your valuables in plain sight or somewhere that nobody would expect to find them. A safe can serve as a beacon to burglers, so don't store all your good stuff in there. Better yet, don't store all your good stuff in your house. Get creative..... Fireproof safes can be hidden in places in the home to keep valuables safe from burglers and fire/flood.

Has anyone mentioned "set gun" yet?
That would be more likely to go off on one of my family members so I'd never consider that. I don't want a bullet to go thru someone I can't first see. The risk of something going horribly wrong with that just isn't worth it. But, that's just me.

I disagree that burglars are "terrified by large breed dogs". That is simply not true. Many career burgers will tell you that large breed dogs give homeowners a false sense of security and will welcome in friendly burglars offering treats and can then easily be locked into rooms. I have been to many burglaries where the owners just could not understand how their big Lab or German Shepard or whatever ("who is such a good guard dog") did not stop them thieves from stealing their stuff.

Otherwise the article makes some good points. I would expand the prime burglary time by a couple hours (earlier) as well and add that many burglars disguise themselves as utility workers.

https://www.shtfplan.com/emergency-...t-a-burglary-while-you-arent-at-home_09092019
Well, they missed all of the most important ones except one: Hire someone to mow the lawn.
I walk up and down the road for exercise and can tell you which neighbors are gone and most, how many days they have been gone.
It's much simpler than you think. The fixes are just as simple.
1. Empty garbage can is out when nobody else's is. If you know when garbage day is, you know how many days +-1 that they have been away.
2. Sunday Newspaper in the driveway in the middle of the week. (rare, but still a dead giveaway)
3. Mailbox crammed so full of mail, the lid won't close. It takes 30 seconds to put in a mail-hold order online today.
4. Carport and driveway are completely empty of vehicles. The neighbor with 3 cars would be glad park one there so they don't have to shuffle.

My best deterrent , I guess, is two fold.
First... I am really isolated from the hwy or roads, and my driveway is 1/4 mile long up hill with a great view from my house , not easy access. Sheriff tells me burgulars are lazy , gotta be quick and easy.

Second...the people that live on my road all put the word out in the county that I'm a sharpshooter, ( I told them that). Drive by in winter , when leaves are gone, see the 2 gun ranges . Hint hint...shooter lives here.

Would you go up hill a quarter mile driveway , past 2 ranges, knowing he can shoot.

Plus the cameras would tell me who did it if they were stupid enough to try.

Jim

My best deterrent , I guess, is two fold.
First... I am really isolated from the hwy or roads, and my driveway is 1/4 mile long up hill with a great view from my house , not easy access. Sheriff tells me burgulars are lazy , gotta be quick and easy.

Second...the people that live on my road all put the word out in the county that I'm a sharpshooter, ( I told them that). Drive by in winter , when leaves are gone, see the 2 gun ranges . Hint hint...shooter lives here.

Would you go up hill a quarter mile driveway , past 2 ranges, knowing he can shoot.

Jim
I know how I would do it - but it requires special knowledge of phideaux Jim, and I ain't putting that knowledge out there.
:devil:

Even if they were that stupid, and thought they could surprise and overpower Phideaux, I've seen what Mrs Phideaux can do with that Saiga-12:eek:.
DrWho.gif

They'd need 2 body-bags to carry out all the pieces.

Deterrent=angry wife with a mag-fed 12-gauge auto:eyeballs:.

Last edited:
Some people take advantage of situations. After my mother died, my parents home on the farm was unoccupied while the house was being cleared out. Parents had a console stereo that disappeared in that short period of time, before it was all cleaned out and the farm sold. Of course, there were no locks on the doors, so the doors were not locked. It was an easy robbery.

When I discussed that there were no meth convictions in my home country, one of my cousins questioned it. Was there no meth, or did the sheriff just not want to be bothered? I know the sheriff. He was my classmate. He has probably been sheriff far too long. He was also a bully from a very young age. I know this is not true of every LEO.

Too many sheriffs now forgot what nation they are in. At least as far as asset forfeiture is concerned.
I can understand taking money from drug and other illegal activity but not taking peoples personal property unless they can prove it was gotten illegally.
To take your car while smoking a joint or even doing other drugs is illegal,period. Your already going to jail or at least paying a fine. That is double jeopardy. Now they take homes, bank accounts,etc,etc,etc..

Latest posts

Back