$50 Amazon Gift Card...what would you buy?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tacitus

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I received a gift card over the holidays. Searching for my purchase now. I think I have a moderate level of preparedness in each of the two lowest levels of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs (physiological and safety needs). Just trying to figure out what to go for.

Obviously, you don't know what I should buy, but what would YOU buy? What would you buy to add to your stores, given the current state of the world?

I'm working on acquiring more freeze dried and dehydrated food. I am well stocked with rice, beans, and those types of food stores. I'm also considering more shoes and more boots for colder weather. Imelda Marcos I am not and I think that we could all use extra good sturdy shoes. Socks. Extra cold weather hats and gloves. Clasps for the gloves to attach them to the jacket or coat I am wearing. I am on the move and even losing one glove makes a difference. I've lost too many in my life.

Amazon?
A CD titled The Essential Artie Shaw.
And I've been eyeing a biography of General George C Marshall.
With what's left, I would add to my growing library on General Dwight D Eisenhower, a great general and a great President.

I received a gift card over the holidays. Searching for my purchase now. I think I have a moderate level of preparedness in each of the two lowest levels of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs (physiological and safety needs). Just trying to figure out what to go for.

Obviously, you don't know what I should buy, but what would YOU buy? What would you buy to add to your stores, given the current state of the world?
If you don't have a water filter, might put it towards one or more filters for it if you do. Otherwise, dehydrated foods - last a long time. If you know you will need to give a gift within the next month or so, might purchase that gift. Do you have an extra pair of good boots - could "go towards".
ETA: Books! Not sure what's on your shelf, but I always seem to have a list.

I'd sell the card for $35!
amazon has nothing I want bad enough to turn over my name and personal information for.

I'm always checking them for canned meats like Keystone, but no go lately. I'd probably get a bunch of my favorite tea, Morning Thunder by Celestial Seasonings. Husband was sweet and ordered 36 boxes of it for me, I drink alot of it iced every day. But I'd get more.
They make it in Lima, Oh. I'm not sure where you live but I imagine it can easily be bought in the area. I have family and friends up in the area that could probably get it or know where they can put their hands on it. If I still lived up there i'd get it for you.

The only place selling Keystone meat near here was in the bigger town at the Walmart, and they've been out for months! So I'd take you up on it. I can get Troyer brand locally (from Ohio) but it's twice as much.

This is one reason I wished I lived closer to friends here on the board. It seems I am in a dead zone here with 0 people around. I have all the stuff to can in metal cans here as well as more canning stuff than any grandma alive. LOL I think the only one that was ever close here was WOODY. I have not heard from him in a while and think he went up North a bit.

The moths would eat that up at my house. I had an army green one, a family heirloom, that was in shreds, dust. I had had no experience with moths and then they ruined so many of my things. I am in a fleece mode now. I know that some people do not like wool, but I would have lots of it if I could. I've had many wool and cashmere sweaters, cardigans, coats, pants, skirts, jackets, 2 room sized rugs etc. over the years, all destroyed. I had read a book about building up a good classic wardrobe with wool and silk. I could and did wear wool every day of the week in the winter. Then I left for the summer to go to school and came home to destruction.

Last edited:
I guess I have had much better luck, and I love fleece as well. I will keep a close eye on my new blanket. If a moth gets near it? If it flies it dies.

I guess I have had much better luck, and I love fleece as well. I will keep a close eye on my new blanket. If a moth gets near it? If it flies it dies.
If I knew then what I know now, I would have had a special freezer just for wool. I have one more wool item in my house that is wrapped up tightly in layers of plastic and in a bin with a lid. It is a flokati rug that belongs to my daughter that she inherited. We've never had it out. It is very heavy, impossible to vacuum, and we need to be moth free to have it out. I would think it might call the moths to it.

Flokati rug.jpg

Are you sure something isn't living in there? Looks beautiful. I'm sure you will take good care of it.

Latest posts

Back