500 guns found on Souther Californication home!!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By the way, a convicted felon is always a convicted felon, not just during parole. No vote, no own guns.....forever.

Convicted felons can have their voting rights restored, and in some states they are automatically restored upon release. If you are going to "restore rights," it would seem like you have to restore ALL rights according to the Constitution....the Cobstitution makes no distinction for ex-cons, and all "citizens" are protected by the Constitution (supposedly). In some sates a felony doesn't even disbar you from owning/possessing a firearm, unless your felony was a VIOLENT crime!! There are many differences between "state/federal" laws (which creates its own set of problems). Something may be illegal under federal law (gun ownership by convicted felon, for one example), but not under state law. Which should prevail?

I'd be interested in knowing whether anyone from Texas or Alaska has been prosecuted federally, and if thee state stepped in
I would doubt any federal prosecutions unless there was something else going on. If the State finds you with a handgun they will prosecute. Subsistence is a big part of life in Alaska so, after a time, having a rifle and shotgun are permitted. If you get busted for another felony the State is not above prosecuting you under federal statutes or using these charges as bargaining chips.

From the article:
Authorities have seized more than 550 guns at two Southern California homes and made one arrest after getting a tip that a convicted felon was storing an arsenal.

So the person who gave the tip suspected he was a felon?

From the article:
Fernandez was booked on suspicion of being a felon in possession of firearms and ammunition and illegally possessing an assault rifle and large-capacity magazines.

Suspicion? They can't figure that out before arresting someone? Seriously, how long does it take to determine if someone has prior convictions (even out of state)?

Last I heard, even in CA AR-15s are legal provided they meet state law requirements. Maybe a 30-rd mag is a no-no, but I'd be surprised if it was a felony offense.

Bottom line: this article is terrible because we don't know a darn thing other than that some guy had his home turned upside down and his collection taken. The guns on display sure don't look to me like the sort you'd sell to cartels.

In California, when a police officer arrests someone, it is always written as " suspicion of..." and is how I was taught to write a police report. Also, in one picture, the entire front row are sawed off shotguns, which are felonies to possess in California.
We're reading different articles then, or I missed it. I just looked at the pictures in the article posted in the OP, and I don't see what you are seeing. Can you please show me the pictures of the sawed off shotguns?

In California, when a police officer arrests someone, it is always written as " suspicion of..." and is how I was taught to write a police report. Also, in one picture, the entire front row are sawed off shotguns, which are felonies to possess in California.
You must have seen a picture I didn't see.
I can't identify a single sawed off shotgun.

In California it's hard to live a normal life without being a felon. Especially if you are a gun collector. I need more info before I take the states side on this. There are a ton of bs felony charges that guy could have been arrested for. The firearms in the picture look like collectors pieces. Not anything the cartels would want. Unfortunately, they are far better armed than that anyway.

As to being connected to money so he is out on bond....its takes a good bit of money to amass a collection like that so it's entirely possible he is just successful and can afford a decent attorney.

This being Cali it's entirely possible this guy was a known collector, Cali gove got him on some bs gun charge that they consider a felony, and now they are continuing to persecute him for not towing the liberal anti gun line they have adopted there.

I'd like to see some more facts about this guy and the case. And I also agree that once you've paid your debt a person's rights should be restored.

I've done a search but with a name like that in Cali it's hard to find what he was actually arrested for previously. He is a prior felon whatever that means in a place like Cali. Couldn't have been too bad though as he was incarcerated in Febuary 2017 and out by August 2017.

To my untrained eyes this does indeed look like a firearm collector. The man just likes firearms. I cite the mass of the collection as wooden stock long rifles in the middle of the picture, the lack of lots of scary black “assault rifles” and missing a pile of ‘MAC-10’ type firearms. The hand guns all seem to be different also, not like an ‘Arsenal for sale’ where the favored firearms would be in multiples. If he was indeed supplying local ‘gangs’, ‘antifa’ type organizations or Militia’s there would be piles of same-type firearms. Whatever the favorite firearm of his customers is, he would be stocked up on that.

I also believe that if a convicted felon has served their time, they do deserve to have all their Constitutional rights reinstated after serving their sentence and conditions of parole. If there is a second felony conviction, all those rights should never be reinstated. Everyone deserves one chance to correct an error in judgement.

Including murder? Rape of a child? Where does one draw the line?

Some crimes deserve the death penalty, or life in prison.
If they are released, they should have all rights restored. Period.
If they are so dangerous, and should never have a firearm, they should either be dead, or locked up forever. I prefer the death penalty, as I don't want to feed and house them.

My G/F's husband ... was killed by a 3 time convicted drunk driver. He PLED GUILTY ... sentence of 15 years, ...idiot Governor Brownstain released him from custody in less than 5 years.

So now this guy has been released from any custody. Should all of his rights be restored? Should he get a clean slate so the next person he kills when he drives wrong way on a freeway be considered his first offense, and only receive a slap on the hand?

No (IMHO) :waiting:

It seems we are all on the same page, and believe if one does wrong, they should be punished. Lets say for the sake of debate, the guy with all the guns was sentenced to 30 years in prison, but he could opt for 15 months in prison, however he will remain on parole for the rest of his life, prohibiting the owning of guns, no voting, no association with his cohorts in crime, etc. How does the state deal with this? Should his rights be restored?

Just a guess, but whatever he did, if it was a "nonviolent offense," he was likely released early due to their overcrowding problem. My belief is when he is off parole (which appears to be the case, since no mention of parole was made), all rights, ALL rights, should be restored. For "violent" ex-inmates,I believe if it wasn't a gun-related felony, ALL rights should be restored. I also believe if a person gets a gun-related felony conviction, his firearms rights should NEVER be restored. Whatever this guy did, it couldn't have been much, as he only served what, 6 - 7 months?

Where in the U.S. Constitution does it provide for denying a citizen their rights?

Exactly....once off parole or probation, ALL rights should be restored. The only exception I would make is if the felony involved firearms. Also, considering the short time he served, his conviction could have been reversed by the appellate court.

My G/F's husband (and my police partner for 25 years) was killed by a 3 time convicted drunk driver. He PLED GUILTY to Second Degree Murder in exchange for a reduced sentence of 15 years, with a guarantee he would be locked up for a minimum of 90% of his time, regardless of earned time credit, good boy credit, be nice to others credit, etc. Because of prison overcrowding, our idiot Governor Brownstain released him from custody in less than 5 years. It seems our blind and deaf voters would rather feed the lazy bums on the street than to keep prisoners locked up where they belong.

So now this guy has been released from any custody. Should all of his rights be restored? Should he get a clean slate so the next person he kills when he drives wrong way on a freeway be considered his first offense, and only receive a slap on the hand?

Sorry, as a 3 time offender he shouldn't be on the street. Change the laws. If he is released, and off parole, then all rights restored. It wouldn't be his first offense. Period.
Again, change the laws.

I find it hard to believe you were ever a cop. Certainly glad you aren't any longer with your lack of knowledge regarding rights.

According to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms, "Felons whose convictions have been set-aside or expunged, or for which the person has been pardoned or has had civil rights restored" are not considered "convicted" and thus they would not be prohibited from owning a gun.Nov 17, 2014 (Google search):
https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&hs=KIN&sa=X&q=What+states+allow+felons+to+own+a+gun?&ved=0ahUKEwj76c6kyOLbAhUMbKwKHWGODi4QzmcIVQ&biw=1880&bih=970

https://www.newsmax.com/fastfeatures/can-a-felon-own/2014/11/17/id/607940/

And there are at least 5 exceptions to the ex-felon gun laws (link above).

How does one change the laws when the lawmakers allow illegals to vote, and provide them free phones, housing, food, medical, etc, provided they vote for their democratic politician?

25 years as a local police officer and I have a lack of knowledge in rights?

You get it on the ballot, you stomp the politicians with mail and calls, you vote. If that doesn't work, you weigh your options.

You said felons have no voting rights, and can't own firearms. Both of those were incorrect as I have shown you. Before you state something as fact, you should know what you are talking about.

Just because you were a cop, doesn't mean you were a good one. You may have been, but you seem to have an anti-constitutional aura around you, at least from my perspective. Don't get me wrong, I have many city, county, and state L.E.O as friends and acquaintances, even have them over for bbq :)
Of course, it could be all that californication programming :)

View attachment 7720 Yes, there is recent legislation to allow a convicted felon to get his record expunged. Do you know the cost of this? Do you know the percentage of citizens who are successful with expungement? Yes, since retirement, I am active in politics. I was just nominated to be placed on my city council advisory committee. I run two organizations where we are attempting to overthrow our local council, who is supportive of our homeless and selling all of our city parks and empty land to build hi rise, low income apartments in order to generate free state welfare money, at the cost of us tax paying citizens.

This gun possession incident occurred in California, not Texas, not Alaska, and not Arkansas. It happened in California, where I received my college degree in criminal justice. I am fully aware of the laws of my state, and having a daughter in law, who is Sergeant for the LA County Sheriff, and my son also being a LA County Sheriff, we know our rights.

To whitewash me with a lack of knowledge with human rights is a low blow, and I will match you law for law if you want to go there. I dealt with many backyard lawyers who thought they knew everything, but in fact this could not be farther from the truth.

I didn't whitewash you with anything. You made blanket statements which were false. I pointed that out. You should have made a caveat about your statement regarding voting and possession being limited to your knowledge of California statutes, in that case.
It isn't recent legislation that allows an attempt at expungement, it's been around for decades, as has a pardon in many states.
This was simply about pointing out inaccuracies. I dislike misleading information.

I am glad you are active in politics and seeking to make your area a better place to live. That is commendable.

Oh btw, I'm not a backyard lawyer :) I just know my rights. I have however taken law and constitutional classes at a college. Granted, it was over 25 yrs ago, but rights haven't changed, even though laws have.

Now that I know where you are coming from, I understand better :) We can agree to disagree on some subjects. Keep pushing on, and make a difference.

But I do want to point out something since you said you are fully aware of the laws of California You must have known that you made a false statement regarding felons and voting:

California. Individuals convicted of a felony are ineligible to vote while incarcerated and on parole.Voting rights are automatically restored upon completion of parole, and people on probation can vote.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back