53 plants from cuttings....

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dr. M Dirr The reference manual of woody plants propagation, is the most complete book on cuttings I have used.
I have 5 differents book & ten years training growing woody plants from hard wood plant cutting.
We did azalea, confers,hollies,blueberries,contonester & many more plants, some from seeds also.
The above post is good, Dr. Dirr book cover hundreds of plant.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/re...MIwu6ortCt4QIVBNvACh0WkwRgEAQYCyABEgItOfD_BwE

Dr. M Dirr The reference manual of woody plants propagation, is the most complete book on cuttings I have used.
I have 5 differents book & ten years training growing woody plants from hard wood plant cutting.
We did azalea, confers,hollies,blueberries,contonester & many more plants, some from seeds also.
The above post is good, Dr. Dirr book cover hundreds of plant.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/re...MIwu6ortCt4QIVBNvACh0WkwRgEAQYCyABEgItOfD_BwE

Joel, I am interested in doing some propagation of a couple of blueberry bushes we have. They far out produce the others we have. And I have been unable to find the same variety in a new plant.Have you worked with them specifically?
I have bookmarked that book on Amazon and will try to find a good buy on a used book. Everything Dr Dirr wrote is very expensive.

As I understand it blueberries are grafted from the rhizome. I know they are hard to grow from seeds but I have never tried to propagate from a shoot.
I had to give up on seeds after three tries and get bushes to plant in my yard.

We bought all of ours from a nursery near here. But they can't get the same types any longer. Can't find them anywhere so far. I would be ok with spending sometime learning this method and being able to enlarge my plot. Maybe even to the point of having berries to sell. That would be a nice income on the side if it worked out.

To get the maximum production from blueberries you need to have multiple varieties. Apparently they like the cross pollination.

From all I have read they almost have to have multiple varieties fro cross pollination. Most fruit of any type does better that way. I have 4 varieties currently. And 2 of the 4 I want to increase the number of plants. But I might do all 4 just to help with pollination.

Being in South Carolina,I am in the Southeast,so My plant grow best here.
All of my Blueberries, but one has sucker, that one is Premier.
Premier is a heavy bearer, but it is early, so a late frost can cut the harvest in half or less.
One year I had only a handful of berries off the one bush I have.
The 29 of the other 30 plants where sucker from another plant.
I bought Austin from Petal from the past, who also has Premier.
http://petalsfromthepast.com/catalog/
Most of my blueberries are Rabbiteye.
Premier is the only one I have rooted for my use, only half of them rooted, in sand, with root tone.
I am old school, I root in coarse sand 3-4 inches deep, 6 inch cutting, hard wood with roottone.
Azaleas & tomatoes do not need rootone.

Thanks for the link Joel. I know I have a couple of the Climax variety. I'll have to look at my others to see what they are. Can't recall right off now.
The ideas for on how you go about rooting I will use to to get started.

I think Climax will have suckers in 5 or 6 year after planting in the ground.
I have had my plants for over ten years,so it is fuzzy on how long I have had sucker.
I dig them in the Fall & plant them in rows,I am behind on moving some of them.
I give a few away to friends also.
The pros say you do not need two varieties, to get a good crop, but the more plants you have the better the harvest.
Petal from the Past will tell you what varieties will pollinate each other among their stock .
They Have youtube vids on all kinds of fruit plants also.
No I do not own stock in the PFP nursery.

Latest posts

Back