6 week hydroponic report

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
The majority of the plants in my greenhouse are in soil and doing "average" as plants go. I have gotten a few tomatoes and strawberries. 6 weeks ago I decided to try Dr. Kratky's method of water growing. I picked up a large tote from Wal-Mart and the other supplies from my local shop. Online I ordered the growing fertilizer and mixed it according to instructions. I planted three "rescued" Mr. Stripey tomato plants that I got for half price as they were in sorry shape from neglect. I bought ten in total putting 7 in soil and the rest in the solution. Within a day all of the plants started to recover however in a week the water born plants started to show amazing growth. The roots had grown into the water and were taking up nutrients at a rapid rate and loving it.
Two weeks ago I added an air stone to aid growth and this is what happened: All three plants are now over 6 feet tall and after pinching off to stop growth continue to shoot up! The branches are long and health as is the main stem with excellent leaf growth. Flowering has begun with many potential fruits. Compared to the soil plants these are fantastic in growth and health. I am letting the suckers grow as I am going to cut them off to turn them into new plants in more Kratky methodology.
In short, with the results obtained I have decided not only to grow for my family and taking to Church but to turn this into a business of growing produce to sell.

The first image is the plant growth in soil as I first stated, the 2nd is an upclose of the growth and the third is the growth in Kratky...simply amazing!
Sam
01.jpg
02.jpg
01.jpg02.jpg
03.jpg
01.jpg02.jpg03.jpg

Looking great! It looks as though the tomatoes in dirt are in a rather small pot. We have found that the bigger the pot, the happier the tomatoes. Daughter had some in a 5 gallon bucket and someone told her it was too small. She has some 2 x 2 x 2 wooden planters and planted two tomatoes in them. They are huge plants now.

Wow great report. Your plants look awesome. Wife said I need to put a couple of those together and get some maters and peppers started inside for this winter.

BacP, I regret not putting a inside solarium when we built this house, climate control can grow all year. No running out to greenhouse or fighting heat and cold. But with us hind site is 2020. Wife has a good idea,imo. :thumbs:

Our kitchen windows are 4 rolls out's that are 6'x2' each, so 8' of window space south facing. We actually keep our shades closed most of the summer to reduce the heat load on the house. Our shades are foil lined tubes and work great to somewhat insulate the windows. Anyway we can slide out table more to the center of the room and would give space for 2-3 of those containers. Think I'll try no more than 2 till I see how much growth we get. We have grown mater plants in large flower pots thru the winter before.

Our kitchen windows are 4 rolls out's that are 6'x2' each, so 8' of window space south facing. We actually keep our shades closed most of the summer to reduce the heat load on the house. Our shades are foil lined tubes and work great to somewhat insulate the windows. Anyway we can slide out table more to the center of the room and would give space for 2-3 of those containers. Think I'll try no more than 2 till I see how much growth we get. We have grown mater plants in large flower pots thru the winter before.

That is great!

@Sam
What about pollination? Do you have any fruits on the vines yet?
Just wondering since they're being grown inside if maybe you'd have to pollinate by hand?
I know on one video I watched about the Kratky Method a woman said she had to hand pollinate with artist's brushes since she was growing them inside her house

I have a simpler and easier method to do the pollination. Plants take in carbon dioxide and give off oxygen so a steady source of the first is needed and a way to remove the later so that the plant can survive. I use several rotating fans in the greenhouse to do what wind does in nature and it seems to work. So far I have had successful fruiting of my tomatoes as well as my peach trees. I try and use the K.I.S.S. method that my Lt. taught me long ago.
Sam

I have a simpler and easier method to do the pollination. Plants take in carbon dioxide and give off oxygen so a steady source of the first is needed and a way to remove the later so that the plant can survive. I use several rotating fans in the greenhouse to do what wind does in nature and it seems to work. So far I have had successful fruiting of my tomatoes as well as my peach trees. I try and use the K.I.S.S. method that my Lt. taught me long ago.
Sam

Sam how about an update. Your plants do look great.

This is the difference in growth within the last three weeks when I posted the other pictures, fantastic growth. Actually too good as some of my plants are over 8 feet in length and continuing growing. The flowers are larger then normal so I am hopeful of getting large fruit. I am going to cut off some of the growth to form new, larger plants in other containers that I am preparing. I have had an infestation of spider mites [severe] which I am treating with Neem Oil in my hand held sprayer. These varmints are hard to treat as they are on the underside of the leaves.
I have just started the bush bean variety as these are my brides favorite. With the growth that I have had with the vine tomatoes I would no doubt have pole beans all over the greenhouse.
I have only used natural sun light as I have no need of lamps which suits the plants fine. All of my plants are on small pallets that I have wheels attached to so I can move the plants to available sunlight and out of shadow as the sun lowers on the horizon and less direct light is available.
What will be nice is to sit in my greenhouse drinking a cup of coffee and watch the snow outside my windows. God has certainly been good to us!
Sam

I use Master Blend as the main component of the equation. Three times I have had to trim the growth back as there is just too much. One can literally watch it grow and grow and grow!
Sam

@lilmissy Sam has one up too.
We use MasterBlend too, tried all kinds from organic to others,but stick with Master Blend.

Latest posts

Back