7 Things To Bury In Garden To Make Better Soil

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a lot of the things he mentioned in our garden. One thing I didn't consider was tea and coffee. We don't drink much coffee, but have tea bags 2-3 times a week that we can use.
Just today while working in my beds I thought about getting a couple bundles of earthworms to put in the beds. They will add to the fertility over time.

I use a lot of the things he mentioned in our garden. One thing I didn't consider was tea and coffee. We don't drink much coffee, but have tea bags 2-3 times a week that we can use.
Just today while working in my beds I thought about getting a couple bundles of earthworms to put in the beds. They will add to the fertility over time.

Have you ever used aspirin on your plants?
One guy put 600mg to a gallon of water.I' get the video.

Never used asprin. But I have used tums type tablets, epsom salts, wood ash, eggs shells ( I saw he used whole eggs). Lot of that stuff adds small amounts of mineral stuffs. Micro nutrients can add as much as major fertilizers.

Not sureif itstrue but I heard pine straw kills worms?
Aspirin on plants.

My girl drinks a lot of coffee and she saves the left overs and puts it in the garden.

Idk if it truly works or not but we do it. Along with egg shells. We eat a lot of eggs.

I kept waiting thru the whole video hoping he would mention Caustic Pelosi Calcium:p.
...naa, it'd probably just sprout thorn trees.:rolleyes:
On second thought, I can deal with thorn trees :LOL:

I kept waiting thru the whole video hoping he would mention Caustic Pelosi Calcium:p.
...naa, it'd probably just sprout thorn trees.:rolleyes:
On second thought, I can deal with thorn trees :LOL:

Well best guard our deceased right up to the grave ' no joke' because they just gave a new meaning to " pushing up roses". Human compost.

Guess who this loose nut who in its hands?

1589083954401.png

Recompose

I couldn't put that stuff directly in the garden. My garden would be instantly cultivated by chickens, coon's, coyotes, dogs, cats and a host of others. I liquefy everything thing up and add it to the compost pile where the critters can mix it all up for me. Those few little boards and shallow graves wouldn't work in my neck of the woods.

I dig 4 or 5 holes every year and drop off a zip lock baggie from each hole to my County extension office.
each sample is from an area that will be growing a specific veggie, he tells me what my soil needs in that area for that plant

Not sureif itstrue but I heard pine straw kills worms?
Aspirin on plants.

Pine straw pretty much makes soil sterile and nothing can or will grow there. People used to plant junipers for landscape, and maybe still are. Yuck,I have never liked them. Where junipers grow, when people removed them, the soil has to be removed for a few inches down and replaced with new soil to grow sod, plants or anything. I have seen it many times. I had a couple junipers in my yard when I bought my house, and I promptly mowed them to remove the prickly top, and then dug the roots out. All of the soil on my property was bad, really bad clay that would kill just about everything I planted. I had to learn to keep adding peat moss, compost and aged manure. The peat moss seems to be one thing that has made the most difference in improving my soil. I do know that different soils need different things to improve them. We need organic matter, lots of it.
We don't have extension offices. We have to pay a fair dinkum lot for a soil profile, so that is reserved for special occasions.
I am curious what state you live in? I thought that almost every county in the country had an extension office. I can see that places like NYC might not have them. I have not done a lot with our extension office, but I have done some things. They have sold seedlings, will test soil, have classes and other services. One summer, I attended a class on bread making with some children from our school.

What? No one uses chicken @#it anymore? When my grandparents bought their new place we prepared the lawn area and spread the chicken excretions all over before seeding. I had to mow that lawn for the next 10 years at least once per week or we would be baling it.

When the garden was harvested we put 3-5 pickup loads of chicken excretions and tilled it in about 8 inches. Grandma and grandpa had an awesome garden every year. Now we were close to some chicken farms where we could get truckloads.

Pine straw pretty much makes soil sterile and nothing can or will grow there. People used to plant junipers for landscape, and maybe still are. Yuck,I have never liked them. Where junipers grow, when people removed them, the soil has to be removed for a few inches down and replaced with new soil to grow sod, plants or anything. I have seen it many times. I had a couple junipers in my yard when I bought my house, and I promptly mowed them to remove the prickly top, and then dug the roots out. All of the soil on my property was bad, really bad clay that would kill just about everything I planted. I had to learn to keep adding peat moss, compost and aged manure. The peat moss seems to be one thing that has made the most difference in improving my soil. I do know that different soils need different things to improve them. We need organic matter, lots of it.
I am curious what state you live in? I thought that almost every county in the country had an extension office. I can see that places like NYC might not have them. I have not done a lot with our extension office, but I have done some things. They have sold seedlings, will test soil, have classes and other services. One summer, I attended a class on bread making with some children from our school.

Pine straw comes from pine trees. Not junipers. We have grass growing under and around our pine trees and use the needles for mulch.

I have had problems with Black walnut, there are 200 plant that will not grow under Black walnuts.
Hickroy nut have a fiber root system that starves most plants under it.
But pine trees & pine straw has never been a problem in South Carolina.
I have a single pine that has lris & daffodil under it for 10 years.
One pine is surrounded with 4 inch high porson oak, wish it would die!!
I cut 10 acres of pine trees that were 17 years old that had grass & small wild blue berries growing around them, but the straw was not more than one inch deep.. I mulched my tomatoes with long needle pine straw & it keep the weed seeding at bay, but never hurt the vegetables.

Back