72 hour kits

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patchouli

Gatekeeper
Staff member
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Have any of us put together 72 hour kits? What if, even after you think it would never happen to you, you have to either evacuate or stay away from your well-stocked home?
FEMA wishes people were better prepared too.
You can buy a pre-made kit or save money and put them together yourself.

Canned food with pop-tops don't store well long term.

Suggested ingredients:
Granola or Clif bars, energy bars
Canned beans, tuna, chicken, beef
Trail mix or any dried fruit
Crackers or cereals for dry snacks
1 gallon of water per person
Don't forget your can opener

For 72 hours you need at least 3 gallons of water per person and if you live in the desert southwest you should double that amount.

I love the lemon flavored, non-thirst provoking, ration bar (3600 calorie) that Survivor Industries sells directly to the public. I’ve been buying them for 20 years. This company started in 1983. For many years their core business was making supplies for life boats and that sort of thing.

Survivor Industries, Inc is the manufacturer of the MAINSTAY ready-to-eat food bars that warrantee a shelf life of 5 years

http://survivorind.com/

Some of the supplies they make are in every kit I have, 72hour, 30day etc. I also keep a small bag of corn meal in my 72hour kit. Hoe Cakes are easy to make and tasty.

Last edited:
Thank you for starting this thread, Patchouli. It is a good time to go through my bag and update it.

Whether you are planning on carrying your bag or putting it into a car or other vehicle would make a big difference in how much you can take. Backpacks are sturdy, but a rolling bag may be more manageable for some who can not lift or carry a heavy bag.

I would add various beverages: tea, instant coffee, beverage powders for hydration and electrolytes. A bottle or two of water purification tablets.

I would also add peanut butter, jerky, canned or boxed milk, dry soup mix, dried nuts, chewing gum, starlight mints.
A P-38 can opener can be found at an Army-Navy surplus store for less than $1.
P-38 can opener.jpg

Cash

A mess kit or small pot for heating food, a set of tableware (I prefer camping sets on a ring), a metal cup, plate and bowl.

Fire making kit--a lighter, matches and/ or fire steel. Something for fire starting such as dryer lint. A portable stove.

Flashlight, headlamp,

Shelter--emergency blanket (heavier type, not mylar type), tarp, rope or paracord, sleeping bag, tent, maybe sleeping pad and small pillow

Toilet paper, wipes, tooth brush and paste, soap, wash cloth, trash bags

Knife, multi-tool, axe, shovel,

Socks, hat, gloves, rain poncho

First Aid Kit

My "first-aid" kit is a bit more than most would have and it takes up a bit of space but I have never been without what I needed.
First-Aid Kit

In any emergency a family member or you yourself may suffer an injury. If you have these basic first aid supplies you are better prepared to help your loved ones when they are hurt.

Knowing how to treat minor injuries can make a difference in an emergency. You may consider taking a first aid class, but simply having the following things can help you stop bleeding, prevent infection and assist in decontamination.

• Several pairs of Latex or other sterile gloves if you are allergic to Latex (nitrile)

• Sterile dressings to stop bleeding

• Cling wrap ( to treat sucking chest wound)

• Cleansing agent/soap and antibiotic towelettes

• Antibiotic ointment (honey and sugar) to add to ointment for better healing

• Burn ointment (water soluble/honey)

• Adhesive bandages in a variety of sizes (include butterfly bandages)

• Eye wash solution to flush the eyes or as general decontaminate (1 tsp boric acid in 1 cup boiled water)

• Thermometer

• Prescription medications you take every day such as insulin, heart medicine and asthma inhalers. You should periodically rotate medicines to account for expiration dates. (30 day supply)

• Prescribed medical supplies such as glucose and blood pressure monitoring equipment and supplies
Non-prescription drugs:

• Aspirin and non-aspirin pain reliever

• Anti-diarrhea medication

• Antacid

• Laxative

• Stool softener

• Oral hydration fluid (or kit containing ½ tsp salt, 6 tsp sugar, ¼ tsp of salt substitute) Package dry ingredients in sealed bags and add to 1 liter purified water (store enough for four liters per day for 2 weeks)

• Topical analgesic xylocaine or other

• Sunscreen for A and B UV protection – Zinc Oxide
Other first aid supplies:

• Scissors

• Tweezers (hemostat and forceps)

• Tube of petroleum jelly and/or other lubricant (KY jelly is water soluble)

• Denture needs

• Contact lenses and supplies

• Extra eye glasses

• Sun glasses

• Wrist, arm, finger and leg splints

• Eye pads

• Mole skin

• Cold and hot pack or rubber hot water bottle/ syringe

• Large wound bandages (disposable diapers, Kotex pads and tampons) sterile pads to stop bleeding)

• Ace Bandages

• Triangular bandages (multi-purpose) 3

• Alcohol and powdered bleach (pool shock)

• Powdered Alum (styptic for minor cuts)

• Tape ( ½, ¾, 1, 2, and 3 inch wide)

• Vet tape

• Surgical rubber tubing (¼, 3/8, and ½” x 4 feet long)

• Tourniquet and constrictive bands

• Dust filter masks and filter respirators

• Personal water filter (life straw or similar)

• Curved needles and silk or linen thread (emergency suture kit)

My extended fist aid kit is stored in a duck cloth bag about have the size of a military duffel bag with a flap and draw string closure. I made the bag back in my early 20's. I always carried a 7x7x10" butt pack with a smaller kit along with some survival gear when back-packing. That way I didn't have to break down my pack for a quick side trip off the trail or when foraging. I made the butt pack too - with a heavy zipper closure. I made a few of those for those who hiked with us regularly. I have a home trauma kit that is in a foot locker with more gear for really bad accidents or trauma that I can't deal with on my own. I carry stuff that will aid someone with more training than I have. Doctors rarely carry gear - they depend heavily on emergency responders and hospitals.

My extended fist aid kit is stored in a duck cloth bag about have the size of a military duffel bag with a flap and draw string closure. I made the bag back in my early 20's. I always carried a 7x7x10" butt pack with a smaller kit along with some survival gear when back-packing. That way I didn't have to break down my pack for a quick side trip off the trail or when foraging. I made the butt pack too - with a heavy zipper closure. I made a few of those for those who hiked with us regularly. I have a home trauma kit that is in a foot locker with more gear for really bad accidents or trauma that I can't deal with on my own. I carry stuff that will aid someone with more training than I have. Doctors rarely carry gear - they depend heavily on emergency responders and hospitals.
I had asked a few years ago for ideas to use for first aid kits. Someone recommended a tackle box. I bought one and use it for some stuff, but I am not 100% thrilled with it. I also have a red gym type bag for stuff. I have a cabinet with drawers for pills--vitamins, pain meds, and more, but that stays at home. I do have pain meds etc. in my kit.

A friend of mine told me she put all of her first aid gear into a rolling suitcase. I think this is a great idea, and a red one would be something to consider, not that that is all important.

When my daughter was young and played soccer, I kept a first aid kit in the trunk of my car. We used it many times.

For a vehicle first aid kit one or more of the large (50 BMG) ammo cans would be a hard (indestructible) container that is water proof but you have to remember that temps go to extremes inside a car. High temps will affect most pills adversely and cold temps will affect creams adversely. Anything that stays in my car is not affected by temperature extremes and then I take a small bag (think cosmetic pouch) with aspirin and burn ointment. Your car kit can contain all the non-perishables and your add-on pouch can have the more volatile gear in it.

Latest posts

Back