8 weeks

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caribou

Time traveler
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I just got home after 8 weeks of a 3 week trip. On day one I was an hour out of Haines, AK and still ten miles inside Canada, when I went off the road and spent the night in a snow bank. You know that survival gear we all talk about? Mine worked.

One emergency after another kept me at Mom's for 5 weeks.

A one day trip on the Alaska Marine Highway ferry the M/V Matanuska turned into a three week trip. You know you're having an adventure when you'd rather be home talking about it than be doing what you are doing.

I just got home after 8 weeks of a 3 week trip. On day one I was an hour out of Haines, AK and still ten miles inside Canada, when I went off the road and spent the night in a snow bank. You know that survival gear we all talk about? Mine worked.

One emergency after another kept me at Mom's for 5 weeks.

A one day trip on the Alaska Marine Highway ferry the M/V Matanuska turned into a three week trip. You know you're having an adventure when you'd rather be home talking about it than be doing what you are doing.

Glad you are O.K. and hope everything works out. Scary stuff being stuck in a snow bank. Nothing speaks like the voice of experience.

Glad you are O.K. and hope everything works out. Scary stuff being stuck in a snow bank. Nothing speaks like the voice of experience.
Thanks. It wasn't all that scary. It as uncomfortable. I hadn't seen another car in 2 hours and didn't expect to see another till morning. I knew the road crew would be by after daylight and they finally came by and dug me out. I only spent ten hours or so stuck in the snow. I couldn't open the car doors due to the snow. I did have my emergency gear accessible from the front seat.

As an Alaskan I am surprised you didn't kick out the windshield, wrestle a bear to submission, use the bear as a furry wrap to stay toasty warm, and then set it free in the morning with pat on the head. :D

Glad you made it through with nothing more than a good story to tell.

Emergency gear on the front seat!! You are better prepared than I. I could get to the trunk if I couldn't open the doors, but it would take some doing.
The emergency gear is kept behind the front seat but readily accessible without leaving the vehicle. This time that was important. Trying to stay warm, in below zero weather, is hard enough but trying to get warm after leaving the vehicle would have been almost impossible.

As an Alaskan I am surprised you didn't kick out the windshield, wrestle a bear to submission, use the bear as a furry wrap to stay toasty warm, and then set it free in the morning with pat on the head. :D

Glad you made it through with nothing more than a good story to tell.
A beaver already had to give up its life to keep my head warm.:)

Thanks. It wasn't all that scary. It as uncomfortable. I hadn't seen another car in 2 hours and didn't expect to see another till morning. I knew the road crew would be by after daylight and they finally came by and dug me out. I only spent ten hours or so stuck in the snow. I couldn't open the car doors due to the snow. I did have my emergency gear accessible from the front seat.

Car just saw this ,I bet that was an experiance and a test of preparness and survival.
You passed with flying colors. :cool:

Latest posts

Back