9 Types Of Foods You Don’t Want To Stockpile

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sentry18

Thrivalist
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Thoughts?

https://www.survivopedia.com/9-types-of-foods-you-dont-want-to-stockpile/

9 Types Of Foods You Don’t Want To Stockpile

By
Bill White
September 10, 2019

I’ve been at this prepping stuff for a long time. Through the four decades I’ve been a survivalist, ideas have changed plenty.

Much of that has been market driven, as new products have been developed and made available to the prepping and survival community. But some has been driven by new threats and new ideas. After all, the Cold War that I grew up with is no longer an issue for us to be concerned about.

Sadly, not all the new ideas are worth putting into practice. While some of the information that has come out on survival is absolutely excellent, there are always those who will put their own untested ideas out there, hoping they will be bought by the community at large. This leads to confusion, which when we’re talking about people’s survival, can end up being deadly.

Such has been the case with some lists of ideas about what we should stockpile. In what seems to be an attempt to “one-up the next guy” many platforms out there have put out their own lists of what people should stockpile. In this process, there have been some items which have been suggested, which are of rather questionable wisdom.

If we’re depending on something for survival, than what we have and what we don’t have are both important. Leaving some things out of our stockpile might just be what we need, especially if those things aren’t going to help. Here are my top items to make sure you leave out of your stockpile.

The Food Your Family Eats Every Day
One of the common things I’ve heard is to stockpile the foods that your family likes to eat. If you think about that for just a moment, you can see how foolish that idea really is. First of all, most of us eat a lot of fresh and frozen food. Without electrical power, that food isn’t going to last. But even if it did, so what? Most of us don’t eat a very nutritious diet, so that’s not going to provide what our families need.

Rather, we’re going to have to find foods that will become the foods that our family eats every day. In other words, we’re going to have to find foods that we can prepare, out of ingredients which will store for a prolonged period of time, which we will be able to make tasty for our families.

This is going to require a lot of time experimenting. You’re going to have to find recipes which you can make from the food you are stockpiling or can modify to work with the food you are stockpiling. Then you’re going to have to try them out with your family, just to make sure they will eat them.

Frozen Food
Frozen food is probably the single biggest waste for survival. Not that I don’t like frozen food, I do; but with the power likely to go out in just about any disaster, chances are that the frozen food will go bad, before we can even eat it.

Of course, if you have a massive solar food dehydrator, then you can do something with all that meat you’re stockpiling in the freezer. But the reality is that few of us have that. So the idea of stockpiling meat, frozen vegetables and prepared meals, just to have them, isn’t going to get you very far. After you gorge yourself the first few days, you’re probably going to have to throw most of that away.

Junk Food
If you ever wondered how much junk food has infiltrated our society, just stop in at your local convenience store. Pretty much everything they have on the shelves and in the coolers qualifies as junk food. They don’t bother selling real food, because people don’t stop in to buy it.

The funny thing about this is that most of us believe that what we eat isn’t junk food, while what someone else eats is. We’re so busy looking at the splinter in their eye, that we don’t see the beam in our own. Yet we all have our own favorites, even if they are marketed as being somewhat healthy.

Basically, any sweet or salty food that can be used as a snack food qualifies as junk food. Other than carbohydrates, these foods don’t provide much in the way of nutrition. So stockpiling them is just a waste of money.

Breakfast Cereal
Breakfast cereals have become a standard in the American home. One might think that they would be great to have in a post-disaster world, as a touchstone with better times and as a comfort food.

But breakfast cereals don’t store well for a prolonged period of time; even when we use the same methods to store them, which are used to store other dry foods for a prolonged period of time. You could open those buckets 10 years from now and find that they aren’t even edible.

Breakfast cereals are also bulky, like most junk food. So if storage space for your stockpile is an issue, storing breakfast cereal is not the way to go. You’ll be much better off making pancakes for breakfast in a post-disaster world, than you will trying to feed your kids breakfast cereal. Besides, most kids won’t even touch powdered milk, let alone enjoying it on their bowl of cereal.

Ground Coffee
Most people don’t realize it, but coffee has a limited shelf-life. I’m not saying that it necessarily goes bad, but it doesn’t stay good either. Coffee that has sat around too long loses some of the potency of its flavor. Freeze dried coffee doesn’t seem to have this problem, but who prefers freeze dried to fresh?

For survival, you’re much better off stockpiling whole beans and buying yourself a coffee grinder. Not only will you have better coffee to drink, you’ll have more of it and it will be fresh. You’ll enjoy that coffee a whole lot more than you will something that you bought canned 10 years earlier.

Ground Flour and Grains
Like coffee, wheat flour and some other grains are best bought in a whole grain form and ground when you need it. We don’t notice this in any day-to-day baking we might do, because the time that the flour sits in our homes usually isn’t long enough to be an issue. But when it comes to storing it for 10 or 20 years, that old wheat flour is going to taste just like old wheat flour.

A good grain mill is an investment, especially if you take into count that you’ll need a manually operated one, rather than an electric one. Nevertheless, it’s a good investment. If you can, buy one of the higher priced ones, as they will grind your grain finer than the low-cost ones will.

Only “Survival Food”
If all you’re buying is packaged survival food, you may find that you’re disappointed when you have to live off of it. I’m not referring to the flavor here, as that’s usually not so bad. But have you looked at those “meals.” Most of the time they aren’t really meals, but just servings. Be careful about that, as what we’re used to as a typical meal consists of several servings of different types of food.

The key here is to look at how many calories they are claiming there are in a serving. If the servings are 300 calories and you buy as if you’re only going to eat three servings per day, you’re going to be trying to survive on a 900 calorie a day diet. That’s great for weight loss, but not much more.

Civilian MREs are better for this, in that they give you a high calorie diet. But have you looked at the price of those lately? If all you do is stockpile MREs for survival, I sure hope you’ve got deep pockets. You’re going to be spending a lot on your food.

Go ahead and buy some packaged survival food, even some MREs; but don’t just buy that. Mix it in with the other foods you buy, so that you can make the job easier for yourself. There are some things those companies do much better than you or I can expect to.

Flavored Drinks
I don’t care if you’re talking about soft drinks, instant iced tea or orange drink powder, buying them is a waste of time and especially money. All any of them are is sugar and flavoring. They don’t provide any real nutrition.

Now, I know your kids probably love that stuff. It’s sweet and flavorful. But it’s not nutritious. Rather than buying that, I’d recommend making your own fruit drinks, when the time comes. They do this in Mexico, and they are much better, as well as being much more nutritious.

What I’m talking about is called “aguas frescas” (fresh waters) in Mexico. There are many kinds of these, but they are more or less follow the same pattern. That is, they are like a watered down juice, with some sugar added. As such, they do provide the nutrients of the fruit you started with, plus providing the sugar and flavor your children crave. I’ve seen these made from lime, pineapple, coconut, cucumber, tamarind, hibiscus flowers guava, and a host of other fruits.

Chocolate
This one is hard for me to add to the list, because I’m a chocoholic. But the truth of the matter is, chocolate doesn’t keep well, unless you can keep it cool. That’s going to be out of the question, when we’re talking a post-disaster world, without electricity. So, no matter how good your chocolate is or how you store it, it will probably turn to garbage.

About the only thing you can do is store chocolate baking powder. If you have that, sugar and powdered milk, you can make some respectable hot chocolate. That’s about the best you’re going to do. You, like I, are going to have to learn to live without chocolate.

On flavored drinks the author says they are just sugar and flavoring. Then suggests making your own using sugar and flavoring. :rolleyes:

Frozen food would be fine if you are off-grid or even partially off-grid.

Ground flours do last quite awhile. I store some. Storing the whole grain and grinding your own is great but not so much if you or family members need to be gluten-free. Common oatmeal stores a very long time and is soft enough to easily make into oat flour. Many beans (including native ones) can be ground into flour and are gluten-free.

I do have some dark chocolate in storage, but I usually go for hard candy due to the long shelf life. A&W root beer suckers are a hit with the kids.

Do NOT store candy bars with nuts in them. My dad was a candy/cigarette/etc. wholesaler. During the 1950s,'60s summers when our non-air conditioned warehouse warmed up, small weevils would sometimes hatch out of the nuts as little maggots in the candy bars. Remember Zero Bars? We always kept them in the fridge and they use to come with Popsicle sticks to stick in the cold bars after you unwrapped them. Yes...I'm that old. Winston cigarettes were $1.81 a carton; Camels or Lucky Strikes were $1.61.

So he wants you to store foods your family doesn't like, use fruit you can't grow to make juice AND give up chocolate???

Don't think so.

Frozen foods, how long the power is out makes a difference. Generators only need to run a few hrs a day to keep a freezer frozen and the foods can be canned.

Junk food, we can use less of them but they are a comfort to those that need it and help keep panicky kids calmer.

Who said cereal needs milk? I've had Cheerios, Fruit Loops and Frosted Flakes vacuums sealed in jars for up to 5 years. They were fine.

Tea and kool aid packets only have the sugar you add and you can make far more than a "respectable" hot chocolate with baking cocoa.

Who said cereal needs milk? I've had Cheerios, Fruit Loops and Frosted Flakes vacuums sealed in jars for up to 5 years.

I do! Cereal without milk is pointless. Of course I no longer drink milk or eat cereal so feel free to ignore me. :)

I do! Cereal without milk is pointless. Of course I no longer drink milk or eat cereal so feel free to ignore me. :)
Can you grind cereal into flour? I mean, since it keeps well, for a while at least, what else can you do with it? Only thing I know is to crush rice Krispies and use it to make crispy fried chicken...

I store rice and beans in sealed jars, I put rice or beans in jars put them in the oven at 200 deg for an hour or so with lids on. take them out and most will seal and keep for years with no bugs. The shopping list, he buys 20 lbs. of sugar like once a month, that's way to much for me. You can cure a lot of diseases by giving up sugar and your likely not going to have medical treatment available. Pemmican is the greatest survival food ever and parched corn is great too as far as sustainable food goes.
Also, I'm hooked on dark chocolate and just do'nt know what to do without it.

You can cure a lot of diseases by giving up sugar and your likely not going to have medical treatment available.
Sugar is also a good choice for treating open wounds.
I like sugar:) It is used in most every baking recipe (and I sometimes add it whether it is in the recipe or not). Plus sugar keeps forever (like honey).
Everybody stores some different stuff and that is how it should be. We are all different.

We store rice, sugar, salt, corn meal, beans all in vac sealed glass quart jars.
I wonder if vac sealing jars with cooked bacon wood store well?

I may try some.

Jim

Can the bacon. It wouldn't be safe just vacuume sealed.

Can the bacon. It wouldn't be safe just vacuum sealed.
SPAM.
SPAM,SPAM,SPAM.
It's meat, lasts for years without refrigeration, full of protein. If you're actually hungry, you'll eat it:rolleyes:.

A few boxes of crackers in an air-tight container, some water, and you can last weeks... if it were not for...
the most important element of them all.

The one thing that can turn a simple crisis into a major disaster....
Toast.gif

I am PREPPED BABY!!!!
IMG_3169.JPG

I WILL Survive!!!!

Regarding breakfast cereals: They may not last 10 years like the author said, but they do last a pretty long time. I'm the only one in my family that eats Corn Chex. I love the stuff, but I stopped eating cereal quite a while ago. My kid was having cereal one morning recently, and I decided to join. I had a box in there, already open. It was fine after a year.

Also, I had a friend who ate cereal without milk...just water. That is totally doable. Remember, these are the hard times.

Corn Chex may be the equivalent of a potato chip then if you have no water or milk.

The Food Your Family Eats Every Day... The wife is all about fresh and frozen, so I can't do that. I figure if the hard times come, my family will quickly learn that eating is not for enjoyment, but merely to refuel the body. Suck it up.

Ground Flour & Grains...I guess I'm thinking we won't be doing too much bread baking. We will just eat the grains.

Flavored Drinks...I don't do kool-aid (just sugar and flavoring), but I do have some Tang stored because it has vitamins. Vitamin C is needed to prevent scurvy. I've been meaning to get some of those lemon juice bottles. They have a decent shelf life, but Tang is probably better.

I lived for 3 months on spam and crackers when I was 7. I will never eat spam again. Even the smell makes me ill.

I find spam is a thousand times better when it is cooked. Fry it up...brown it a bit...get it a bit crispy on the outside...pretty good.

I fried up a can of spam on a Boy Scout campout once, and the boys were lining up to eat it. Kind of funny.

I fried up a can of spam on a Boy Scout campout once, and the boys were lining up to eat it. Kind of funny.

My kids used to think Ramen noodles were an awesome treat. Spend 10 cents and turn on cartoons and they thought they were being spoiled.

I find spam is a thousand times better when it is cooked. Fry it up...brown it a bit...get it a bit crispy on the outside...pretty good.

Agreed. Fried Spam and eggs makes for a good breakfast, and is also good in a sandwich. I don't eat very much spam, but it's in the mix.

You consume the fat from milk, and products made from the fat.

I also eat beef, but I don't drink the cows blood. Because that would also be gross!

And??? Its good, delicious, wonderful and necessary to drink with cookies or cakes.

You accidentally added good, delicious, wonderful, and necessary to that sentence. When you must have meant weird, gross, and should be avoided.

Latest posts

Back