90-Year old diaries,great depression,banks,housing,food and more

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elkhound

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
90-Year old diaries,great depression,banks,housing,food and more... give a listen to these...various entries from multiple diaries and other book from that time period.they are long but fantastic 3 part series all should listen to.theres came out in last 30 days.

That video was both enlightening and infuriating.

Infuriating because this generation has not learned a single lesson from recent history!!!!

For example: interference with the free market (i.e. minimum wage increases upsetting the applecart) is dangerous and has far-reaching complications that contribute to the collapse of the economy. TPTB did it then with disastrous results, and again recently. (When will we ever learn?)

Tell-tale signs of the coming collapse of the economy were the same just before the Great Depression as we are seeing now: numerous small businesses holding 50% off and higher sales just before they permanently shut their doors.

This winter, we will be seeing much more of that as Covid whips our asses...and as TPTB continues to mismanage this pandemic. It's like they are making up the rules, then backtracking, then rewriting the rules as efficiently as a monkey trying to type out a novel on a typewriter...

I will be watching the other videos when I get more time. Thanks, as always, Elkhound for yet another mind-opening exercise.

Last edited:
Grizzleyette, you are 100% correct that the masses have failed to learn from history. Worse than that, there are forces at play that are rewriting history designed to influence and shape behavior in order to exert control over the masses. Worse than not knowing history is being fed a false history with incorrect lessons learned.

To the OP, great video (I have only watched the first thus far.]. Both of my parents were strongly influenced by the depression having both lived through it. I pray that I have adequately learned from them these lessons. I certainly have attempted to learn from them. What they, and their generation accomplished through the Great Depression and WW2 was simply remarkable. They did not go backwards, but propelled this nation into greatness. But now this generation is viewed as the enemy by the woke.

There are a lot of parallels and precursors today to what lead up to the Great Depression. There are some glaring differences as well. Back then, Americans had character and fortitude mixed with still having old world knowledge on how to survive in tough times. While imperfect humans, most had faith in our maker which gave them much needed hope in a positive outcome and help shape appropriately behaviors that led to future prosperity.

The vast majority of the masses today have no character, fortitude or any useful knowledge. If the refrigerator and the stores are empty and the McDonald’s drive through is closed, the masses will be clueless on what to do except what they have always done, throwing a huge temper tantrum on the streets like we see on TV everyday. Except then, they will have a real personal reason to be on the streets and they won’t be screwing around just for kicks and grins. And they will be looking for scapegoats. They will be Godless, hopeless, destructive, and easily manipulated.

90-Year old diaries,great depression,banks,housing,food and more... give a listen to these...various entries from multiple diaries and other book from that time period.they are long but fantastic 3 part series all should listen to.theres came out in last 30 days.

Dejavu? Can't pay taxes,tear it down.:eek:

And then there's the people in our time that rely totally on welfare

Welfare the worst thing that can happen to a republican democracy. SSI was not welfare at its start,it was Social Security Insureance that all paid into. Welfare is against all Bibical priinciples. From rendering to Ceasar to " if a man doesn't work,he shall not eat". Charity was for widows and orphans and the lame.

My dad always kept a diary of sorts. It started out more like a ledger and not usually a lot of personal stuff. He didn't really start doing that until maybe the 40's so he didn't record stuff from the 20's or 30's. But it was some interesting reading. Dad passed away about a year ago so we had to clean out the house. Finding all of these old journals and diaries was really cool, mostly for little stuff, like how much he got paid for various furs that he trapped (this was probably in the 40's). I kinda remember he got maybe $1 for a skunk hide one time, maybe $3 for a fox or beaver. And since he had a big hand in building the house we grew up in and the same house he walked out of on his own about 2 weeks before he died, there were records of lumber being bought, pounds of nails bought, helpers paid, and of course all the monetary amounts to the penny. In later years, he would often only keep track of the weather and maybe larger life events that were important to him. One of the grands were going through all of that last I knew.

Maybe some of us should be keeping such things as well, for future generations, should this ol' world continue on a little longer. :) I know I should be a little more diligent about it just for gardening purposes...

Latest posts

Back