A bear charging story

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aklogcabin

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
A few years back my beautiful wife worked down at the local grocery store. And as usual the freezer broke. My beautiful wife hauled home a bunch of premium ice cream, the good stuff we usually couldn't afford.
We purchased a 500 pound grain fed sow hog at a garage sale so we needed freezer space. I put the ice cream in big black bags n set them on the back porch to melt so I could give the ol hog a good meal n burn the boxes.
Sos about 3:30 am rolls around n the suns coming up again for another 22 hours. Our chessy at the time was going crazy. Somethings wrong kinda bark. I run upstairs as that's where the back yard deck is, open the door, cuss at the dog for barking, slam door n then take time to see what the problem was.
Turns out that there is a 500 pound brown bear sitting on his butt eating ice cream 5' away looking at the crazy guy in the window.
I hollered at the beautiful wife to bring a big gun. For near 45 minutes the bear sat n ate ice cream, pints of tom n Jerry's fit down grizzly throats in one gulp if you ever wanted to know.
This could have gone real bad. Our house burned and we had to rebuild. And me still hadn't put the deadbolt lock on the door. Nice to live in a place where you do not have to lock the doors btw, and we use the door handle type instead of a knob style handle because then the kids could open the door with snowy mittens on. So looking at the 3" nose print on the doors window and realizing that if he would have hit the handle just under his nose he would have been in our kitchen.
Anyhows, 45 minutes of banging pans n such he had enough of ol Oby barking at him n was going to make a main course out of him. He rolls off his butt n heads down the stairs. I grab my 300 n step out.
As soon as that door goes click he goes from fat bear eating ice cream to a bear defending his ice cream. I was ready n had a clear shooting lane already picked, luckily it comes kinda automatic after shooting a few thousand rounds. I mostly didn't want to shoot a hole in my beautiful wifes new gloss black grand am. And was able to place a shot through the head. I still see his eye in my scope. But with a scope at 4' that's about all you can see anyhows.
The biologists told me that they figured it was the approximate 5 year old that they had been getting reports on. It was in a local camp ground a few miles away.
Hey it all worked out, and I get a cool story

Last edited:
Thanks but I just wrote wrote what happened. Because this was in defense of life n property it belongs to the state. They did tell me that I had to skin it, wasn't happening. He was pretty messy, they kinda liked being that way.

Latest posts

Back