A Blast From The Past - Classic Ads or Images

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FB_IMG_1583883795168.jpg

Jim

View attachment 36721
Does anybody carry worthless change anymore?

Jim
When I get home from town one of the first things I do is put all my change into a jar. I have enough stuff weighing my pants down without having a pocket full of coins. About once a year I take it all to the bank and get folding money. The last time I had over $300.
All of my Grandparents had change purses.

This is priceless. You can skip to about the three minute mark, but Ellen's stand up is always good.

I have nothing to say...

This is priceless. You can skip to about the three minute mark, but Ellen's stand up is always good.

Priceless and so sad.
Unfortunately, also real.
How hopeless is the current generation without their electronic 'umbilical cord' connected to their actual brain which is online...in the clouds?
I would love to watch one simply try to peel potatoes and cook them
brickwall100.gif

My wife did a similar kind of exercise with a family she babysits for; four little girls ages 5 to 10. Mom had an old Princess phone, and they made a game out of it. See if you can figure out how it works. They did figure it out, and had a lot of fun in the process. I can't really fault her for map folding. That is a skill that has defied mankind for as long as there have been maps. Plenty of people in our generation can't fold a map. The Phone Book? A whole 'nother story. Yes. Your parents should be embarrassed.

I still have a change purse. That must make me super old. I like to give exact change.
I still use one to this day and it is that exact shade of blue.
Never fetch coins out of the dryer.
I rarely use cash but I always take it if I know I am.
So much fun to hand bills and coins to a young person and watch them try to count it.
biggrin.gif

Fortunately, I can be 'Super', old.
rofl[1].gif

If you want to have some real fun, hand them a $2 bill and some dollar coins.
emo12.gif

The entire Burger King ground to a standstill and they had to call the manager.
panic.gif

You just can't have that much fun for $7 hardly anymore :p.

Last edited:
True story!! I was in my bank getting cash in $20's. One of the bills was old; the much smaller portrait of Andrew Jackson. We all remember those, right? The teller, who was a 20 something, serious as a heart attack, when I commented on it she said " Oh yeah. I just saw one of those. I had to ask my boss if it was real."

I actually have a "Fake" $2 bill. I was staying in a hotel... it was late... I ordered a pizza and the light wasn't good in the hall.

The delivery guy passed off a $2 bill in my change that had been made on a copy machine. I don't know if he even realized it. I didn't notice it until the next morning when I got dressed to leave.

I have kept it all these years.

Years ago I had lunch in a hospital cafeteria. The cashier was out of dollar bills so she gave me $6.50 in quarters. I told her those were not quarters they were $1 coins. She said there was no such thing and promptly went to the next person. I even told the manager and she said the same thing. No such thing as a $1 coin. So I took my $26 in $1 coins and left. I suspect they got all those coins from someone that also didn't know what they were doing.
I went to a small teriyaki place and there was a $100 bill stuck on the wall. I asked the guy why and he said it was counterfeit and he was waiting for the guy to come back in. I said he might want to call the police because I think it might be illegal to possess a counterfeit 100.
Want to have fun, give the kid behind the cash register a 20 and a 1 to pay for something that costs $10.14 but wait to give them the 1 until they have already rung up the 20. Do NOT be in a hurry when you do it because they most likely will have to call for help. I have even had them cancel the sale and start over.

Last edited:
During the ‘80s I got some of the dollar coins in change. I decided to spend them at a Rally’s fast food restaurant and so I gave the young girl at the drive-through three of the dollar coins. She looked at them and said what are these? I said they are Susan B Anthony dollars to which she responded, who is Susan B Anthony?

I actually have a "Fake" $2 bill. I was staying in a hotel... it was late... I ordered a pizza and the light wasn't good in the hall.

The delivery guy passed off a $2 bill in my change that had been made on a copy machine. I don't know if he even realized it. I didn't notice it until the next morning when I got dressed to leave.

I have kept it all these years.

Peanut I haven't seen a $2 bill in half a century.

That would be worth a small fortune! Just like a double struck coin, it doesn't happen often but when it does there are collectors out there that will pay big money.

Latest posts

Back