A Blast From The Past - Classic Ads or Images

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Highly likely his mark will stand forever now. The way MLB pitching staffs are managed 20 game winners are getting to be few and far between

So true. The last 30 game winner in the National League was Dizzy Dean in 1934.

Saw this on social media...

63 years ago today, February 3, 1959, American rock and roll musicians Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and "The Big Bopper" J. P. Richardson were killed in a plane crash near Clear Lake, Iowa, together with pilot Roger Peterson. The event later became known as "The Day the Music Died" after singer-songwriter Don McLean referred to it as such in his 1971 song "American Pie".

B holly.jpeg

63 years ago today, February 3, 1959, American rock and roll musicians Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and "The Big Bopper" J. P. Richardson were killed in a plane crash near Clear Lake, Iowa, together with pilot Roger Peterson. The event later became known as "The Day the Music Died" after singer-songwriter Don McLean referred to it as such in his 1971 song "American Pie".

View attachment 79635

There is a bit of trivia that goes with this, or maybe as Paul Harvey used to say "the rest of the story". The group was touring by bus, and the heater in the bus stopped working. One of the band members was hospitalized with frostbitten toes. Buddy Holly chartered the plane that was supposed to take them to Fargo ND.

Richie Valens won his seat on the plane in a coin toss. J.P. Richardson, the Big Bopper, had a serious case of the flu, and he begged for a seat. Waylon Jennings, who was playing bass for Buddy Holly, gave up his seat.

So the story goes, Buddy Holly kiddingly told Waylon Jennings "I hope you freeze your ass off on the bus." to which Jennings replied "Yeah, well I hope your plane crashes." The statement truly haunted him for years, and he felt responsible for what happened. God Rest All of Their Souls.

I can't believe 1971 was 50 years ago. gaah
I can remember my friends saying: "Can you help me pull a 396? We're gonna soup it up, 370 horsepower ain't near enough!".
Folks should also note that it would take more than 2 days wages just to buy a cassette recorder, if you had a regular job back then. :oops:

71 being 50 years ago just sounds wrong. Dang where did the years go
We survived those years and lived to talk about them today.:D
Even the stinkin' Fords were rolling out of the showroom with more than 360 horsepower!gaah
If today's youth were dropped into what we had, half would be dead within a month.
On topic, stinkin' Ford, 1970:
93716b85831d6bbec45bf6389932dc10.jpg

Been there, raced that; came back better in a couple weeks and kicked it's a$$!:waiting:
Never underestimate 'mules with tools'... better than '(w)itches with riches'.;)

We survived those years and lived to talk about them today.:D
Even the stinkin' Fords were rolling out of the showroom with more than 360 horsepower!gaah
If today's youth were dropped into what we had, half would be dead within a month.
On topic, stinkin' Ford, 1970:
93716b85831d6bbec45bf6389932dc10.jpg

Been there, raced that; came back better in a couple weeks and kicked it's a$$!:waiting:
Never underestimate 'mules with tools'... better than '(w)itches with riches'.;)

My uncle had one of those Torino's. That thing was BADDDDDD. Sold it when my cousin turned 15. Said he wouldn't take a chance on cousin getting out in it. Probably a good move.
Some guys at school used to race pretty regularly. One week one of us would win, next week after some work we'd try again and the other would typically win. Back and forth was a lot of fun

My BIL has a 69 Chevelle 396, 4spd that he has totally rebuilt down to the interior and paint. I bet he don't drive it more than 3-4 times a year. I'd bet no more than 100 miles.
I'd love to have an old hot rod, but can't justify the cost for something to stay parked, nor do I have anywhere to park it.
My brother also has a 69 Chevelle with a built 396. It was originally an SS454 but that motor was long gone before he bought it.
The paint on his is show quality and he's afraid to park it in a lot. He spends way more time tinkering with it than driving it. When he does drive it you better be hanging on tight.

Wasn't that the year Denny McClain won 31 games? I know they had a good team.
I started following base ball in 1967 and got hooked. I read the box scores and stories in the paper nearly everyday.

Yes, he won 31 games of the 44 games he played, with only 6 losses.
https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/mclaide01.shtml
One of my prized possessions: a personally autographed ball to me from Denny McClain. A very close friend was producing his radio show at the time. I guess he was between incarcerations. Still the last pitcher to win 30 in a season.

Very cool collectable you got there. I remember my dad always talking highly of him but then mentioning he screwed himself up because he kept getting into trouble.

I was just a baby so I don't remember but Mickey Lolich lived in the corner house the next street over from us. I have since learned that many of the players at that time lived in our city just north of Detroit, most about a half mile or less from our house. My dad always said how Mickey helped win a game in the world series by hitting a home run.
https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/lolicmi01.shtml#all_batting_postseason

View attachment 79635
I like there music, as do many people I wish they could have been around longer to make more great songs.

Latest posts

Back