A Crow Is Liking Our Hens

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Meerkat,
Crows recognize individuals. He won't treat anyone else like he does you. They teach their young the faces they trust and those they don't.The group memory has been shown to last a decade or longer.

SheepD crow is getting spoiled ,he or she now comes up closer and rubbed beak back and forth to let us know its wants more treats.

Have you given him peanuts yet?

Have you given him peanuts yet?

@SheepDog , sorry SheepD i just saw this post .
Yes I gave him peanuts and he likes them but e gave out and forgot to get more plus can't affrod to keep him too peanut happy.:)

He is really spoiled now, he insist on his treats which is mostly bread anf I'm afraid we'll kill him with too much carbs. He also loves soda crackers and parades arounf in front of chickens showing off his cracker:D. Drives em nuts even though they get some everytime Pretty Bird does. Yes his name is ' Pretty Bird', he knoes it too. I hive him a little oat meal and he loves buttered grits too. I'm surprised he can still fly.
I go out and yell 'Pretty bird and he comes flying up.

I'm telling hubby he is liking PrettyBird to death!:rolleyes:This crow will have if not alreadt heart trouble,diabestes ,joint problems ,etc,etc,etc,.
He feeds PrettyBird all kinds of junk like bread,soda crackers, sugared cerial.
He does get beef, hot dogs, bologna, and dry dog food now wine I have put the bird on a diet. He also gets peanuts and p-nut butter now and then.
The bird is spoiled rotten now too, he sits and crows loud, pecks 4x4 fence post agressively where we put his food.
He likes to aggrevate chickens by walking back and forth with his saltine cracker in his beak showing off.

Last edited:
If you hatch out a flock of "chickrows" you'll have your answer!

I hope not! My hens have had that crow down trying to hurt it a few times,they are very territorial.I thought once they were going to kill it.
Lately crow has a freind with it.It too now is hanging around. But no hawks for sure, since PrettyBird moved in all hawks moved out.We have seen it chase them away a few times and seen crow aand his buddy or mate attacked hawk in air carrying its prey.It dropped whatevr it had we didn't go to see what it was. Maybe a small rabbit ?:dunno:

Pretty Bird the crow is too fat! He is having a hard time flying now thanks to hubby killing him with kindness aand carbs.:ghostly:.
He sounds like he has a bad engine now when he flys close to the porch thank us for the treats.
I put him on dog food and couples peanut now and then for a treat.
He loves soda crakers to prance back and forth in front of hens to show off.
Pretty Burd also brought in a new freind which ws a mistake .He is younger and hogs the dog food.

Pretty Bird has a new perch ,the grill. He is still on dog food and doing fine. I put him on a diet for a few days sohe is better.He prances around like he owns the place.I decided against the nuts. I'll just throw them away .Also slowed down on his sodacracker treaats,no more whole crackers,only 1/4.
He now sings" Hooka Tooka My Soda Cracker'.;)

Pretty Bird the crow has two babies and her mate is hanging around now wanting to be fed. I don't want to fed 4 crows plus the family growing.
No not going to shoot them. And if we stop feeding them they raise cain or steal an egg from our hens. Her mate 'Clucker' is getting friendly.
What do do with a flock of demanding crows?We only have 4 hens now since someinf killed two of them several months ago. Now as many crows as hens.

Put a top on your chicken coop and their run. That will keep the crows and hawks out.
If you're mean to the crows they will remember. Set aside one day a week to feed them. They will get used to the schedule and won't bother you between the schedule days.
Tough love requires the crows to feed themselves but you have to say NO and remove the food sources around your home. Feed them on the same day of the week. They will learn the schedule and be there for the food. Any meat trimmings raw or cooked cut into skinny pieces (like worm size). When I get meat I trim the fat and bone before I cut into serving sizes. The trimmings are "shoestringed" and cut no longer than 4 inches. I then put it in ziplock bags and freeze all but two bags which go in the fridge. The crow gets one bag. If more crows show up I put out 2 bags and let the fastest birds get it. Like mother nature, when it's gone it's gone. That gives them 6 days to fend for themselves and a treat once a weak. Around my place there is lots of water but if you live where there is no surface water putting water out helps with digestion.

Put a top on your chicken coop and their run. That will keep the crows and hawks out.
If you're mean to the crows they will remember. Set aside one day a week to feed them. They will get used to the schedule and won't bother you between the schedule days.
Tough love requires the crows to feed themselves but you have to say NO and remove the food sources around your home. Feed them on the same day of the week. They will learn the schedule and be there for the food. Any meat trimmings raw or cooked cut into skinny pieces (like worm size). When I get meat I trim the fat and bone before I cut into serving sizes. The trimmings are "shoestringed" and cut no longer than 4 inches. I then put it in ziplock bags and freeze all but two bags which go in the fridge. The crow gets one bag. If more crows show up I put out 2 bags and let the fastest birds get it. Like mother nature, when it's gone it's gone. That gives them 6 days to fend for themselves and a treat once a weak. Around my place there is lots of water but if you live where there is no surface water putting water out helps with digestion.

Its got a top on it,they fly in to the nestthru the door,we leave open so they can lay heir eggs and get water,food on demand.
SheepD we never have any meat trimmings anymore. We feed then ba dog food for paast few years,and Pretty Bird gets a half soda cracker everyday for dessert.He likes to show it off to the hens,He is cute.

One of our daughters hates Prettybird,she lost it when we told her we started feeding her. " your feeding that loud disgusting bird" she ask; Today when I told her she had babies she just said she is glad she doesn't have one.

This crow must have been excomunicated from the flock because he keeps hanging around our hens everyday for past couple weeks. They are free ranging now so he stays on outside and they chase it off.

It looks thirsty so we filled up bird bath with cool water. Guess because they are black stars he thinks they are crows?

My goodness look at date on this first post! Its been longer than I thought.

Latest posts

Back