• Welcome to Homesteading & Country Living.
    We are glad you came to visit.
    Ads in your way? Register/login and read with less ads, or ask how to get rid of them.

A male that sews

Help Support Homesteading Forum:

Frodo

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
right here right now maybe later over there
Yes I sew. I have 3 machines and just picked up a chinese shoe patcher.

I sew leather, and canvas.
Making holsters
But, I have been dabbling in cloth.
here are a few things I have made,
A old pair of cargo pants, cut the pockets off and made a ammo bag
attached leather to the sides and a strap.
my wife saw this. and then............

20191111_153831.jpg

She requested one for her
20191110_191032.jpg

also made some retro hippy cover all purses

20191110_070626.jpg

Frodo

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Very nice. Great way to recycle. :clapping:
around here, nothing gets tossed with out being stripped of copper, hinges,useable electric parts, screws, etc etc
basically, we toss the plastic and keep the rest
if i could figure hou how to turn plastic into 2x4's i would do it

Morgan101

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
around here, nothing gets tossed with out being stripped of copper, hinges,useable electric parts, screws, etc etc
Well if you had enough you could melt it down, and put it in a form. I don't know how sturdy it would be, but you could make a 2x4.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I am about to leave the house for a couple hours, but when I get back I will show you someone who is all about how to repurpose plastic. I believe the supplies are almost endless in the whole world, it is the setup to process them that is the challenge.

When I was in college, redoing jeans into purses was a popular thing to do, complete with decorative embroidery and additional decorative trims, buttons, and more.

I grew up in a house where all buttons, snaps and other fasteners were cut off and saved. Depending on the fabric and its condition, it might be redone into a piece of clothing, or put in the rag bag.

LadyLocust

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Hubby made his own hunting pack. It's a canvas (camo) and even padded the shoulder straps. I got him set up on the machine and told him the basics, a few questions here and there, and he did fine.
Nice Red Eye Singer @Frodo ! I'm curious what your Chinese shoe patcher is???

LadyLocust

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
A cobblers machine! That is an item on my eternal list (list of items I want but difficult to find.). I match its green- with envy. That will probably be the handiest machine you'll own. They are workhorses. I am hoping for a singer brand but am not opposed to other brands. I know parts for singers can still be found is the only reason. There was a rusted out one on Craigslist a while back - asking $450. Stupid price for nonfunctional machine. Congrats! Good find. If you ever find a spare, let me know.

Frodo

Awesome Friend
Neighbor

Frodo

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
A cobblers machine! That is an item on my eternal list (list of items I want but difficult to find.). I match its green- with envy. That will probably be the handiest machine you'll own. They are workhorses. I am hoping for a singer brand but am not opposed to other brands. I know parts for singers can still be found is the only reason. There was a rusted out one on Craigslist a while back - asking $450. Stupid price for nonfunctional machine. Congrats! Good find. If you ever find a spare, let me know.

The red eye was bought by my grand Mother in 1924 not sure if it was store bought or sears magazine bought.
I do know this machine sewed all of the clothes for her and my Mom.. I tore it apart and cleaned all the parts. put it back together
fitted a motor from a Brother sewing machine on it. BUT actually. I prefer to turn the hand crank and only use power on straight runs

on the chinese patcher
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=youtube+cobblers+sewing+machine&&view=detail&mid=D6C496F816498D0E434FD6C496F816498D0E434F&rvsmid=0B475F8DEA7C25A788320B475F8DEA7C25A78832&FORM=VDRVRV
they can be persnickety . This guy videos helped me out BIG TIME.
in that video is a link to a company that you can call and they will talk to you /help you out.and can find the correct parts ,thread/needles

If you do decide to get a patcher. here is the correct motor,if you go in that direction
https://www.amazon.com/Enduro-Sewing-Machine-Motor-
Electric/dp/B079P8RQRQ/ref=asc_df_B079P8RQRQ/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=&hvpos=&hvnetw=o&hvrand=&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583520382316133&psc=1

If you need any help setting it up. I can offer advice. {with it and a dollar you can buy a bad cup of coffee at a 7/11}

LadyLocust

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
What I'm after is a cobbler machine (patcher.). I have several of the old singers and a hand crank Frister and Rossman. I'd like to try my hand at making slippers/moccasins and a few other things, but those can get down in the toe.

Group Builder