A male that sews

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frodo

Walk with God, You will never be lost
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
right here right now maybe later over there
Yes I sew. I have 3 machines and just picked up a chinese shoe patcher.

I sew leather, and canvas.
Making holsters
But, I have been dabbling in cloth.
here are a few things I have made,
A old pair of cargo pants, cut the pockets off and made a ammo bag
attached leather to the sides and a strap.
my wife saw this. and then............

20191111_153831.jpg

She requested one for her
20191110_191032.jpg

also made some retro hippy cover all purses

20191110_070626.jpg

Very nice. Great way to recycle. :clapping:

around here, nothing gets tossed with out being stripped of copper, hinges,useable electric parts, screws, etc etc
basically, we toss the plastic and keep the rest
if i could figure hou how to turn plastic into 2x4's i would do it

around here, nothing gets tossed with out being stripped of copper, hinges,useable electric parts, screws, etc etc

Well if you had enough you could melt it down, and put it in a form. I don't know how sturdy it would be, but you could make a 2x4.

I am about to leave the house for a couple hours, but when I get back I will show you someone who is all about how to repurpose plastic. I believe the supplies are almost endless in the whole world, it is the setup to process them that is the challenge.

When I was in college, redoing jeans into purses was a popular thing to do, complete with decorative embroidery and additional decorative trims, buttons, and more.

I grew up in a house where all buttons, snaps and other fasteners were cut off and saved. Depending on the fabric and its condition, it might be redone into a piece of clothing, or put in the rag bag.

Hubby made his own hunting pack. It's a canvas (camo) and even padded the shoulder straps. I got him set up on the machine and told him the basics, a few questions here and there, and he did fine.
Nice Red Eye Singer @Frodo ! I'm curious what your Chinese shoe patcher is???

the patcher is a green patcher. LOl
20191229_041008.jpg

I made a table, Bought a servo motor
used a pedal off of a singer treadle machine

20191214_144055.jpg

and used the 12'' pulley. hada a new cam shaft machined

20191219_153247.jpg

and motorized that patcher..
right now I am waiting on a pair of pillow block bearings to support the pulley and shaft

A cobblers machine! That is an item on my eternal list (list of items I want but difficult to find.). I match its green- with envy. That will probably be the handiest machine you'll own. They are workhorses. I am hoping for a singer brand but am not opposed to other brands. I know parts for singers can still be found is the only reason. There was a rusted out one on Craigslist a while back - asking $450. Stupid price for nonfunctional machine. Congrats! Good find. If you ever find a spare, let me know.

A cobblers machine! That is an item on my eternal list (list of items I want but difficult to find.). I match its green- with envy. That will probably be the handiest machine you'll own. They are workhorses. I am hoping for a singer brand but am not opposed to other brands. I know parts for singers can still be found is the only reason. There was a rusted out one on Craigslist a while back - asking $450. Stupid price for nonfunctional machine. Congrats! Good find. If you ever find a spare, let me know.

The red eye was bought by my grand Mother in 1924 not sure if it was store bought or sears magazine bought.
I do know this machine sewed all of the clothes for her and my Mom.. I tore it apart and cleaned all the parts. put it back together
fitted a motor from a Brother sewing machine on it. BUT actually. I prefer to turn the hand crank and only use power on straight runs

on the chinese patcher
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...DEA7C25A788320B475F8DEA7C25A78832&FORM=VDRVRV
they can be persnickety . This guy videos helped me out BIG TIME.
in that video is a link to a company that you can call and they will talk to you /help you out.and can find the correct parts ,thread/needles

If you do decide to get a patcher. here is the correct motor,if you go in that direction
https://www.amazon.com/Enduro-Sewing-Machine-Motor-
Electric/dp/B079P8RQRQ/ref=asc_df_B079P8RQRQ/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=&hvpos=&hvnetw=o&hvrand=&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583520382316133&psc=1

If you need any help setting it up. I can offer advice. {with it and a dollar you can buy a bad cup of coffee at a 7/11}

What I'm after is a cobbler machine (patcher.). I have several of the old singers and a hand crank Frister and Rossman. I'd like to try my hand at making slippers/moccasins and a few other things, but those can get down in the toe.

Sewing is one of the ten manly arts of survival. whoever said it was "women work" was probably a lazy slob with no talent.

Upholstery needles rule!

Sewing is one of the ten manly arts of survival. whoever said it was "women work" was probably a lazy slob with no talent.

Upholstery needles rule!
My mother taught me to sew and upholster!

I am going to repeat that process because the right arm rest has the same issue now.

Ben

My mother also taught me how to sew, but I probably haven't done it in 50 years. I could patch a hole or mend a tear. Not sure I could do much more than that. My wife is good at sewing, so for that I am fortunate. In a TEOTWAWKI scenario she would be a big asset. In addition to the skills she has all the supplies. I have sewing kits in all of our BOB's.

A pack of these, some 80 test waxed bow string and a leatherman tool would fix much!
Anybody ever use parachute thread? you can NOT break it with your bare hands, it will slice you to the bone!

Late to this thread, as usual... had a friend who was in the paratroopers, and he also trained to repair chutes, hand was pretty good on a sewing machine, lol. Fit & burly dude too, if anyone had sneered at this guy for sewing, that fool would've been shy a few teeth, lol. When I needed a cover for the foam pool noodle used as padding on the hiking strap in my Laser cockpit, this hand did a great job sewing up an easy-on, easy-off cover complete with velcro, using sail cover material... thing lasted for YEARS of hard sailing. I might add that as a rock climber, I always liked "bar tacks" on webbing & gear, they are super strong and last a long time, lol. ;)

Upholstery needles rule!
Back in 1974 I helped make my wife's wedding dress, I take that as a badge of honor, being able to help reduce the costs of a wedding and she looked great in it, she even made her own hat to go with the dress, I should find the pics, might make me feel just a bit younger, dang next year we'll have been married 50 years.

Back