A new start

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Super Friend
Neighbor
Looking to buy or build first rural homestead/ get away from the suburbs in southwestern PA.
Not sure exactly what I am after other than some land to get away from most people.
Thinking a few acres with either an existing house or land I could build on. I am looking into (linking prohibited)
To help with the details. Love to buy land and be my own builder for a smallish timber frame kit house. And start with a garden and chickens and go on from there. Budget is borrowing around 300k complete. I need to still stay around a hour +or- around Pittsburgh for work.
Hoping to find a realtor that knows all the codes of the surrounding counties to help guide this process.
Any advice is much appreciated!

Ben has up to date info... I've a friend near Coal Center, south of pittsburgh. They lived on mt Washington but got out of the city about 6 years ago. Their "decent" neighborhood slowly turned into a section 8 warzone. Next time I speak with him I'll ask if he knows of a few acres for sale.

Looking to buy or build first rural homestead/ get away from the suburbs in southwestern PA.
Not sure exactly what I am after other than some land to get away from most people.
Thinking a few acres with either an existing house or land I could build on. I am looking into (linking prohibited)
To help with the details. Love to buy land and be my own builder for a smallish timber frame kit house. And start with a garden and chickens and go on from there. Budget is borrowing around 300k complete. I need to still stay around a hour +or- around Pittsburgh for work.
Hoping to find a realtor that knows all the codes of the surrounding counties to help guide this process.
Any advice is much appreciated!
What do you want?

Flat or a hollow?

God set my family down on the Allegheny plateau so I am partial the hillsides orchards and vineyards.

SE along 43 may be good corridor to explore.

Ben

I'd suggest you start with realtor.com.
I put in "Pittsburgh PA" as my starting point. Then I click the filters option and specify "farm". On the right side of the screen is a map. I zoom out and start looking at the options.
There are other filters you can use instead of "farm". You can set things like a minimum acreage, square feet, bathrooms...

Latest posts

Back