A Newer Trend--shed Homes

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the things that I have thought about is getting two sheds with a single pitched roof and joining them together so that they have a peak where they meet.

One of the things that I have wondered about is how and if a person could have a basement and then set a shed on top? Surely the engineering types would know how to make this work.

I have thought about this quite a bit. I have an extra 8x40 shipping container that I am going to convert to a small house. I will put it at my farm/BOL. I have an old 1970 mobile home there but we got the best of that years ago. I leave it there as a second residence because of taxes and here, if its not occupied for a certain amount of time, the county will make your life miserable when trying to put something else there. I also have another spot closer to the road that I could put one as I have power and a well. I would just have to put in a septic system. In a SHTF situation, another shipping container could be put there and lived in.
I have also wanted to build some small dome houses. I am a mathematics handicap and geodesic math has always dumbfounded me until I found Paul Robinsons Youtube channel. He very simple explains and demonstraites his method of building them. I would like to modify his system and cover it with plywood and fiberglass.
This is a link to his channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL--oBARR8PwZtH7drz5Sjw

One of the things that I have thought about is getting two sheds with a single pitched roof and joining them together so that they have a peak where they meet.

One of the things that I have wondered about is how and if a person could have a basement and then set a shed on top? Surely the engineering types would know how to make this work.

Getting two sheds and putting them together was just what I did. The tall long wall of each was the peak of the roof and it didn't overhang. The walls that came together basically had large openings that matched the other such that when they went together, it was easy to flow from one to the other without much thought. I put some cleats at the top to hold the two sides together at the top and they put a row of shingle caps up top. Never had any trouble with leaks. Also, they allowed a space with the flooring such that we put a piece of plywood of the same thickness at each of those large middle openings that tied the two sides together. A little trim work around those openings and on the exterior where they joined made it into what appeared to be one building. Almost harder to describe than to do.

For the foundation, I had set up railroad tie type timbers, well supported, and filled in around with stone. I think that was the hardest part of the whole thing, even if I had built the whole thing myself. If I had wanted to put it on a basement, I'd have needed support under the floor. As it was, I think the floor joists were 2x6s but there was support every 4' underneath. That was fine on the foundation I had. If it were a basement underneath, I'd have probably wanted to go with 2x12s for the floor joists since there wouldn't likely be anything to support them like the rails under the sheds that I had. And then I'd have had to provide support down the middle of the shed (longways), probably some kind of beam and supports for it going down to or below the basement floor.

Also, delivery and setup would become more difficult as you couldn't just drive the sheds into place and drop them. It would be more of a challenge getting the sheds set into place over top of a big hole. Might not require a crane but would definitely be something you'd have to plan out as the two halves would be pretty heavy and awkward and would not do well if one end happened to slip into that big hole.

A person can do a lot with prebuilt sheds. But there does come a point when it seems like it would be easier just to stick build it in place, at least it seems so to me. Having a full basement under would seem like it would be pushing in that direction. I could be wrong.

Getting two sheds and putting them together was just what I did. The tall long wall of each was the peak of the roof and it didn't overhang. The walls that came together basically had large openings that matched the other such that when they went together, it was easy to flow from one to the other without much thought. I put some cleats at the top to hold the two sides together at the top and they put a row of shingle caps up top. Never had any trouble with leaks. Also, they allowed a space with the flooring such that we put a piece of plywood of the same thickness at each of those large middle openings that tied the two sides together. A little trim work around those openings and on the exterior where they joined made it into what appeared to be one building. Almost harder to describe than to do.

For the foundation, I had set up railroad tie type timbers, well supported, and filled in around with stone. I think that was the hardest part of the whole thing, even if I had built the whole thing myself. If I had wanted to put it on a basement, I'd have needed support under the floor. As it was, I think the floor joists were 2x6s but there was support every 4' underneath. That was fine on the foundation I had. If it were a basement underneath, I'd have probably wanted to go with 2x12s for the floor joists since there wouldn't likely be anything to support them like the rails under the sheds that I had. And then I'd have had to provide support down the middle of the shed (longways), probably some kind of beam and supports for it going down to or below the basement floor.

Also, delivery and setup would become more difficult as you couldn't just drive the sheds into place and drop them. It would be more of a challenge getting the sheds set into place over top of a big hole. Might not require a crane but would definitely be something you'd have to plan out as the two halves would be pretty heavy and awkward and would not do well if one end happened to slip into that big hole.

A person can do a lot with prebuilt sheds. But there does come a point when it seems like it would be easier just to stick build it in place, at least it seems so to me. Having a full basement under would seem like it would be pushing in that direction. I could be wrong.

Thanks for your input. The floor joist size hadn't occurred to me. I do know of a situation where someone had a basement built and then had a mobile home put on top. I have no idea about how that was done, and not being an engineer or builder, I can only go by what others have done or suggest.

You could do a shed on a full basement reasonably easy and safe is you had 10 x 10 basement and a 12 x 12 foundation. Then rollers could be used to move and set the shed in place. Proper sized floor joist would still be required but it could be done without a crane. Something like how the huge blocks were moved for the pyramids. Careful planning and attention to safety is also required.

You could do a shed on a full basement reasonably easy and safe is you had 10 x 10 basement and a 12 x 12 foundation. Then rollers could be used to move and set the shed in place. Proper sized floor joist would still be required but it could be done without a crane. Something like how the huge blocks were moved for the pyramids. Careful planning and attention to safety is also required.

Definitely possible, perhaps even with a full basement. I would get scared if it were being done by someone where the careful planning and attention to safety was at all in question, though. It's hard to know who's reading...

Kinda reminds me of my younger years. I worked for a shed builder. There was an Amish company that would build shed "kits" and we were the ones out setting them up. The walls and usually the floor, sometimes the rafters, were built as individual pieces at the big warehouse and then stacked on a truck or trailer for delivery. Often, the preassembled pieces had to go through a narrow gate into someone's back yard. We'd level the base of it, attach the walls and build the roof which was usually just a standard 3 tab shingle. We'd put them together on site. The smaller ones would often go up in an hour or so, the bigger ones longer. And most of the time, short of major demolition or tree felling, those buildings were going nowhere after they were built.

Definitely, a trailer hauled in on wheels that is left a trailer on wheels can be hauled right back out again the same way it came in. A fully built shed dropped off of a trailer onto it's new resting place can be pulled right back up onto a trailer and hauled away again. Many of the "tiny homes" are little more than a variation of the RV.

It does become a little more difficult hauling something away again when you substantially connect pieces that weren't connected when they arrived on site or make those pieces less accessible by putting them over top of a big hole in the ground (basement). That might be two (or more) sheds that get put together to make one building. That might be sheds or a trailers being attached to a foundation. If it remains easy to haul off, there is more danger of that happening. If it become difficult to haul off, especially without severely damaging the thing or even destroying it in the process, it tends to make those who would haul off others' goods look for easier targets.

Really like the low cost of sheds, and image it would be like living in one of those fancy Tiny Houses on TV.

Small can be good but it can get to be a problem when it gets too small. A lot of the tiny homes seem to rely on a balcony and a ladder to have a bedroom. That might be fine for someone in their 20's but put an extra 40 years on there and it's a recipe for a night fall while trying to get to the bathroom and a ride in an ambulance to repair a broken hip or leg or whatever. Even if a disability is only temporary, could a person get around in a tiny home with a wheelchair? a walker? even crutches? (I broke a leg very badly back in 2015. It gave me some perspective as it took quite a long time to heal. I never realized how much of a challenge a simple step could be in some situations.)

More on the preference scale, is there room for the things that you want? Sure, we might be able to get by with only 2 or 3 outfits, but do you really want room for a decent wardrobe? It takes a little space. Do you want to be comfortable bathing and dressing? It takes some space. Do you want to have people over for dinner, or even have family over for the holidays, maybe even to stay overnight, and like it when they stay with you? It takes some space. Do you like to sit around after dinner and play table games? It takes some space. Do you like to be able to entertain 5 or 6 or 7 or 8 people and expect that they'll be comfortable, as in having a comfortable chair to sit in while they visit, even if it's cold and rainy outside? It takes space.

Hey, if I were a single guy and it was only me and I never had company, I could be quite contented in as little as maybe 250 square feet of decently laid out space. However, living with my dear wife, 250 square feet is pretty tight to be comfortable in. We did that for a year, lived in a travel trailer of about that size in our driveway while we rebuilt our house after Hurricane Katrina. We were OK. Cramped, but OK. But my dear wife loves to have company over. She loves when the kids and grandkids come to stay, maybe for a week at a time. She loves the big family meals together, sitting around playing games at the dining room table, being able to relax on the livingroom furniture for long talks or to watch a movie, just hang out. So space is kinda important to us, not so much as a need but as a want. Everybody kinda has to figure that out for themselves and there is no right or wrong answer that fits everyone. It can even change over time.

Sorry... I'm rambling... just sharing the thoughts passing quietly through the gray matter. :)

Small can be good but it can get to be a problem when it gets too small. A lot of the tiny homes seem to rely on a balcony and a ladder to have a bedroom. That might be fine for someone in their 20's but put an extra 40 years on there and it's a recipe for a night fall while trying to get to the bathroom and a ride in an ambulance to repair a broken hip or leg or whatever. Even if a disability is only temporary, could a person get around in a tiny home with a wheelchair? a walker? even crutches? (I broke a leg very badly back in 2015. It gave me some perspective as it took quite a long time to heal. I never realized how much of a challenge a simple step could be in some situations.)

More on the preference scale, is there room for the things that you want? Sure, we might be able to get by with only 2 or 3 outfits, but do you really want room for a decent wardrobe? It takes a little space. Do you want to be comfortable bathing and dressing? It takes some space. Do you want to have people over for dinner, or even have family over for the holidays, maybe even to stay overnight, and like it when they stay with you? It takes some space. Do you like to sit around after dinner and play table games? It takes some space. Do you like to be able to entertain 5 or 6 or 7 or 8 people and expect that they'll be comfortable, as in having a comfortable chair to sit in while they visit, even if it's cold and rainy outside? It takes space.

Hey, if I were a single guy and it was only me and I never had company, I could be quite contented in as little as maybe 250 square feet of decently laid out space. However, living with my dear wife, 250 square feet is pretty tight to be comfortable in. We did that for a year, lived in a travel trailer of about that size in our driveway while we rebuilt our house after Hurricane Katrina. We were OK. Cramped, but OK. But my dear wife loves to have company over. She loves when the kids and grandkids come to stay, maybe for a week at a time. She loves the big family meals together, sitting around playing games at the dining room table, being able to relax on the living room furniture for long talks or to watch a movie, just hang out. So space is kinda important to us, not so much as a need but as a want. Everybody kinda has to figure that out for themselves and there is no right or wrong answer that fits everyone. It can even change over time.

Sorry... I'm rambling... just sharing the thoughts passing quietly through the gray matter. :)
I agree with you on a number of points.

1. Climbing a ladder to a loft for older people is not a good idea. As I have looked at the tiny houses on wheels, I have often thought I wouldn't want a tall one with a loft. I would prefer one where I could sleep on the lower level.

2. Wardrobe--I am not a shopper. I buy a coat, shoes, boots, whatever, and wear until it is time to wear it for painting, cleaning and gardening. i have clothing that is 10 years old or older, and is still going. Having several pieces to rotate helps it last longer.

3. Entertaining would be very difficult in a tiny house, especially for holiday meals and including family members.

4. Bathing and dressing comfort: I am with you. If it is cold, I am not interested in getting wet.

My future plans will include a Toy Hauler RV and a nice piece of property out in th desert. Since I don't own any vehicle toys to haul, you ask why a toy hauler. My reasoning is, A space for a washer dryer combo and a work shop. The living space is a minimal requirement. I will be single by then (widower) and I just want enough space to be comfortable and play with my gun smithing tools. I don't want a shed or out buildings to watch over at night. A back screen door (keep the critters out) and the drop down back door would make into an nice patio. Simple life for a simple (minded) person. Low cost and provides all the privacy and seclusion a person could want. Not the life for married couple but good enough for a hermit type.

I'm sorry you'll be a widower by then, TMT

It will be a while before that happen, many, many years I hope. My wife is older and has a heart conditions, so I expect to out live her. If the case is reversed, she plans to move back to Oregon to be close to her children. We are not morbid but do have to plan for a life without our mates. We will have set aside a fair amount of money to accomplish either of our plans.

The toy hauler just seems to fit my personality style of living. I won't need a lot of living space but I do want a shop type area to continue my firearm tinkering. Plus I am very handy with fixing things, so I want enough tools at hand to maintain the toy hauler. Not going to be many RV repair shops were I will be headed. The property will b dedicated to the development of the Tin Hat House project, so I will just park the toy hauler and do what I can to make the project affordable and also to do what is needed to preserve OPSEC. I do appreciate you well wishes.

My future plans will include a Toy Hauler RV and a nice piece of property out in th desert. Since I don't own any vehicle toys to haul, you ask why a toy hauler...

Those toy haulers have some nice floor plans regardless if you have any toys to haul. Love the ones that have the double bed in the back that can be raised up to the ceiling during the day, providing living space underneath. And the back ramp/door, the way that functions like a patio door with a screen just like you said - that's really nice. If we ever downsize our trailer, I would love to get a toy hauler (and we don't have toys to haul).

A 16x20 shed is 320 sq ft. Well, less due to wall width - but I would think 300 sq ft would be a comfortable estimate if you subtract out wall width.

How big are most apartments?
It depends on several factors. A studio may be 425 sq feet and larger. There must be code requirements that may vary slightly from one place to another.

I have often thought that if I were in a situation where I was living in a small place, I would either rent a storage unit or depending, use an enclosed trailer or something to store my preps. This is certainly not secure. I do know that some people who are living in shed homes also have storage sheds or trailers. Again, not as secure, and in many places, you pay taxes on every building.

A shipping container is not secure. They aren't even weather tight most of the time. Locks on the door can be pried off with a large screwdriver and the sides can be breeched with a pick-ax and a hatchet.
They can be handy for storage but not for food, ammo or any valuables. They will rust through in just a few years - especially the top where water collects. Door seals leak and let water inside.

A person can always have a shipping container dropped on the property for secure storage.
I used to read a blog written by a man developing a bug out location in southern Colorado. These were the 5 acre plots around Mt. Blanca. He talked about his experiences there. People would bring in shipping containers, fill them all kinds of gear--camping, clothing, food, tools. They would lock or even weld them shut. After they were gone, there were people who come around with cutting torches and cut open these shipping containers. He came to be aware of this when he saw clothing and blankets blowing around his property. He had also see vans dropping off groups of people who would search the properties. He had his property broken into and all kinds of things were stolen including solar panels from his roof, etc.
I think a shipping container works if there is someone who can keep an eye on it, and if it can be maintained.

Latest posts

Back