A Newer Trend--shed Homes

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bed liner comes to mind as a covering for a shipping container.

You could do that where we live. They are built stronger than a mobile home, but a mobile home is set up better. I think they're too small. Where would the food storage go?
No restrictions where you live? Of course its looking like that will soon be the norm anyway just throw your waste out the door and be done with it. Outhouse would take care of part of it but no ,it takes getting use to. Probably be ok for a couple though.Long as they empty potty aka slop pot or fancy word parlor pot.:)

I haven't heard of restrictions on the farms around here. But I'm sure there are some if someone gets out of hand. If you're raising animals to sell for meat, eggs, milk, then you have to put up with an inspector of some sort if you sell in quantity. No one really cares about those buildings going up. The amish make alot of them. And they are off grid anyway, so it wouldn't matter. I'd like to redo our old outhouse. It's hanging on by a thread.

I haven't heard of restrictions on the farms around here. But I'm sure there are some if someone gets out of hand. If you're raising animals to sell for meat, eggs, milk, then you have to put up with an inspector of some sort if you sell in quantity. No one really cares about those buildings going up. The amish make alot of them. And they are off grid anyway, so it wouldn't matter. I'd like to redo our old outhouse. It's hanging on by a thread.

I like the way the Amish live totally sustainable, but they live in a commune type envionment and their property is probably grsndfathered in and don't have to have restrictions. But it would be hard to find many places like that in America now. Maybe in Northern Territory which after much study is where we had planned on going 40 years ago. No restrictions there all the cabin fever and free ill you wanted.

I like the way the Amish live totally sustainable, but they live in a commune type envionment and their property is probably grsndfathered in and don't have to have restrictions. But it would be hard to find many places like that in America now. Maybe in Northern Territory which after much study is where we had planned on going 40 years ago. No restrictions there all the cabin fever and free ill you wanted.

Oh wait thats not in America either.

Thirty years ago, before my dauther was born, I talked to a guy selling sheds at the Fair. He told me a divorced mother could not get a home loan, so she bought an acre of land & financed two of his largest shed & paid a sub-contractor to plumb & wire it. Made a two bedroom & kitchen/living room with one bath out of them. Mother have been keeping the wolves away from the door for hundreds of years, but this was a knew one to me.

Thirty years ago, before my daughter was born, I talked to a guy selling sheds at the Fair. He told me a divorced mother could not get a home loan, so she bought an acre of land & financed two of his largest shed & paid a sub-contractor to plumb & wire it. Made a two bedroom & kitchen/living room with one bath out of them. Mother have been keeping the wolves away from the door for hundreds of years, but this was a knew one to me.
When people have little money, but do have some creativity, they can accomplish things that others think is not right or possible. People have lived in worse situations. Early settlers in the Great Plains states made homes out of sod. I see people living in RVs. Sometimes you've got to do what you've got to do.

Weedygarden, I agree.
The worse story I heard was a John Stossel Poor of the world.
He said USA poor live like millionare compared to many poor in the world.
Our poor have apartments,microwaves,heating & cooling,t.v. phones.
A man in chile was killed by another homeless man for his new cardboard box home.

When people have little money, but do have some creativity, they can accomplish things that others think is not right or possible. People have lived in worse situations. Early settlers in the Great Plains states made homes out of sod. I see people living in RVs. Sometimes you've got to do what you've got to do.

Very true. What is presented to each of us as options may not be the same as what everyone else will see. We just have to do the best we can with what we have to work with. I've been pretty poor and I've had times when money was pretty easy. It's nice to have enough but I don't wanna be rich. Just a simple life will do. :)

Very true. What is presented to each of us as options may not be the same as what everyone else will see. We just have to do the best we can with what we have to work with. I've been pretty poor and I've had times when money was pretty easy. It's nice to have enough but I don't wanna be rich. Just a simple life will do. :)
When I purchased my home, it had been vacant for a while. It was a HUD home. A family with 13 children, 10 of them being boys, had lived in the house for a number of years. House needed lots of work. Subfloors are quarter sawn fir, and were well worn. Someone told me they could never have lived in my house as it was when I purchased it. They had lived in NYC as a child. I had lived in a home that my parents did a lot of work on, so I understood some of what a house needs. Paint, window coverings, re-hanging doors (hinge pins were removed from all interior doors), replacing bad windows. It all takes time, and can be done. Or, people can spend much more money and buy a ready to go house. My house is worth many times what I paid for it. It kept us warm. It protects me. It had everything we needed, but was not a model show home.

I once worked with a woman who said she always wanted a brand new house so that everything would be perfect in it. I told her that there is lots of work on a new house. I later found out that she had had multiple plastic surgeries. That said a lot to me.

Only problem is you can't grow food in them or have hens, but you do have to use dump stations,its the law and get caught dumping them illegally and it a big fine.

Will you be building or purchasing an existing home?

There's an existing home on the property, but it's in really bad shape. It's a small Appalachian home sitting directly on the ground. Technically, we could restore it - but the cost to restore would be greater than the cost to build.

So we're having an Amish company build a shell that we'll finish off ourselves. The thing that makes me nervous is that it will be next summer at the earliest - all the builders are booked solid (and we don't have enough knowledge/skill to do it entirely ourselves). That concerns me because of all the unknowns that could happen between now and then. My husband has been unemployed since June, and his 30 year career isn't coming back. So he's starting a small franchise this coming month. I just want this house built and done so we have our forever home/refuge.

Weedygarden, I agree.
The worse story I heard was a John Stossel Poor of the world.
He said USA poor live like millionare compared to many poor in the world.
Our poor have apartments,microwaves,heating & cooling,t.v. phones.
A man in chile was killed by another homeless man for his new cardboard box home.

Well that should tell us all something. Do we want to lowerour living standard to that? its getting there . We always had poor but til last 50 years we never thought it was so cool to be poor, we thrived to be best we could and that is the kind of people who made America outstanding not the poor.

Last edited:
Well that should tell us all something. Do we want to lowerour living standard to that? its getting there . We always had poor but til last 50 years we never thought it was so cool to be poor, we thrived to be best we could and that is the kind of people who made America outstanding not the poor.
There are many people who are struggling. They have not always been poor, but COVID has changed things. Young people have been duped into taking on huge debt for an education, and then can't get jobs that pay well. I know many younger people who realize that no matter how hard they work and save, they may never be able to own a home. Things have changed.

Last edited:
There are many people who are struggling. They have not always been poor, but COVID has changed things. Young people have been duped into taking on huge debt for an education, and then can't get jobs that pay well. I know many younger people who realize that no matter how hard they work and save, they may never be able to own a home. Things have changed.

This is true and it is a shame they were tricked into the loan business that make higher learning institutiions ultra rich crooks. Speaking to you about education is hard because your a teacher aand I know you didn't have anything to do with the laws of dept of education.
Nothing is free and they knew it would come back to hurt the youth. Just like welfare has in the name of charity which is not xharity at all it is enslavement.

This is true and it is a shame they were tricked into the loan business that make higher learning institutions ultra rich crooks. Speaking to you about education is hard because your a teacher and I know you didn't have anything to do with the laws of dept. of education.
Nothing is free and they knew it would come back to hurt the youth. Just like welfare has in the name of charity which is not charity at all it is enslavement.
Another piece of it is that many people think that if they want an education, they can finance it with loans. It is so commonplace that people do not even question doing that. Debt is a 4 letter word, and that is also such a common American thing. People want a certain standard of living and cannot afford to live the way they want and do live. Debt is huge for many people, but they have to have new cars, live in certain neighborhoods, have certain clothing, phones, etc. There has been so much eating out in America, and the cost of that is something that many do not even think twice about. People want what they want and have no reality of how to live within their means, nor thought about how to live to prepare for old age.

I recently learned that someone I know and her husband lost their home 2018/2019. They are around 60. She has always spent money on what she wants. She doesn't answer her phone because of bill collectors. She cannot even open a bank account because her finances are such a mess. Husband works, but she does not. She spends money foolishly. I know another couple who are of retirement age with no money. Wife did the same thing with their money, spent it foolishly, lots of it, and they are broke. They lost their home as well, because of her spending habits. I know another couple. Wife has never wanted to work, but wants to spend money like crazy. They live with her mother, to help afford her desired lifestyle. If she got a job and worked long hours, she wouldn't have as much time to spend money she doesn't have. These are three couples that I know. I can only imagine how bad it is for many people, especially if both spouses have no idea how to live within their means.

Every h.s. should have a class in practical finances. So many people are completely lacking in knowledge or awareness of money.

Another piece of it is that many people think that if they want an education, they can finance it with loans. It is so commonplace that people do not even question doing that. Debt is a 4 letter word, and that is also such a common American thing. People want a certain standard of living and cannot afford to live the way they want and do live. Debt is huge for many people, but they have to have new cars, live in certain neighborhoods, have certain clothing, phones, etc. There has been so much eating out in America, and the cost of that is something that many do not even think twice about. People want what they want and have no reality of how to live within their means, nor thought about how to live to prepare for old age.

I recently learned that someone I know and her husband lost their home 2018/2019. They are around 60. She has always spent money on what she wants. She doesn't answer her phone because of bill collectors. She cannot even open a bank account because her finances are such a mess. Husband works, but she does not. She spends money foolishly. I know another couple who are of retirement age with no money. Wife did the same thing with their money, spent it foolishly, lots of it, and they are broke. They lost their home as well, because of her spending habits. I know another couple. Wife has never wanted to work, but wants to spend money like crazy. They live with her mother, to help afford her desired lifestyle. If she got a job and worked long hours, she wouldn't have as much time to spend money she doesn't have. These are three couples that I know. I can only imagine how bad it is for many people, especially if both spouses have no idea how to live within their means.

Every h.s. should have a class in practical finances. So many people are completely lacking in knowledge or awareness of money.
They never had to suffer for their mistakes, that is something people have to do is suffer the consequences of their actions. Sadly they don't until its too late for them to turn their lives around. Imagine the kids today in a few more years if we have a few more years. Even if born 30 years ago like you say they want what they want live for today. I learned the hard way that when your down and out its usaully your fault not always of course some people get sick,robbed etc.. But most are spoiled by their parents.
I raised my kids to know nobody cares about your needs much less your wants, and made them responsible. This day and time women want a two salary lifesyle on a one salary income.
I didn't go to colleg so my jobs were rough ones. I ran away got married too young but back then most women didn't work or go to college but then the culture changed and so did the men and work force. Free sex wasn't free it cost the family alot. Not that all women had to stay at home but there just wasn't enough jobs for all to work either.Men took a big hit when women flooded the work force. At same time we had a population explosion from all over the world. And robots took millions of jobs too Auto factorys lost jobs big time. nothing but robots and the few people there to care for robots.

robots took millions of jobs too Auto factorys lost jobs big time. nothing but robots and the few people there to care for robots.
Seeing lots more of that! Monster distribution buildings employing 20 people staring at their phones.

Went last weekend to look at properties in missouri and when we stopped to buy gas I saw a local ad promoting they would put up a 24x32 building with concrete for 12k. Tempting baseline.

Seeing lots more of that! Monster distribution buildings employing 20 people staring at their phones.

Went last weekend to look at properties in missouri and when we stopped to buy gas I saw a local ad promoting they would put up a 24x32 building with concrete for 12k. Tempting baseline.
Is this boxcar mentality getting us use to not owning rivate property ? We live in a resrited community on how many feet a home or mobile home has to be, yet its turning inot a campers homeless villiage, if we needed to sell for emergency our equity is pretty much gone if it keeps up. All the hard labor and sacrifice to save and build is just gone so some can squat and live for free.But its no different than any other third world nation so who cares. Who needs a piece of land and a home ,right?
According to county only two residents can live on certain amount of acreage and the resident has to be inspected and a certain aount of square footage.
Restrictions are only for those wh obey the law.
Soon they will also go afte those with lots of land nd force them to give up a portion of it.

Latest posts

Back