A " Raised "Raised Bed.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
What we should have done instead of me digging and filling the ground level bed.
I could have put this one inside greenhouse [ and I wouldn't be fighting the rain every DAY ] and if need be moved it anytime we needed to. Anyway hind site is what they say it is.

Skip to 28:00 minutes into video to see finished bed.
John here in the video can talk the ears off a billy goat but we have watched his videos for years and really like him. He is very good at all kinds of gardenign techniques.:great::Thankyou: John.

Awesome video.
A raised bed is the way to go for a lot of good reasons.
I've never heard it called 'garden install'. And I too appreciate rich dark soil, the good stuff.
I'd love to have a greenhouse. When a 'greenhouse takedown' comes up on Craigslist they are quickly gone.

"John here in the video can talk the ears off a billy goat" :LOL:

I have never heard that saying before! Hillarious!

I think it is an old southern saying. May have come from that hick teacher I had in 3nd grade,she was a riot teaching english. It took her 5 minutes to speak out a paragraph. She didn't like me at all, imagine that.

Awesome video.
A raised bed is the way to go for a lot of good reasons.
I've never heard it called 'garden install'. And I too appreciate rich dark soil, the good stuff.
I'd love to have a greenhouse. When a 'greenhouse takedown' comes up on Craigslist they are quickly gone.

Tiff ,we made a GH out of pvc pipes about 16 years ago. It withstood 4 hurricane's. And we didn't put doors o nit, we just clamped the ends together with clamps. You can make it small as you want and add on as you like . Ours wasn't this 'fancy' or hard to make.

This is the idea.

While I have been busy reworking garden design for next year.
And having total knee replacement this last July.
I went to standing legs raised beds.
Much easier to work with so far.
Also reconfigured the on the ground raised beds to single 2x4 raised bed 3.5 foot tall.
Much easier on my back and knees next year.

I made mu
Tiff ,we made a GH out of pvc pipes about 16 years ago. It withstood 4 hurricane's. And we didn't put doors o nit, we just clamped the ends together with clamps. You can make it small as you want and add on as you like . Ours wasn't this 'fancy' or hard to make.

This is the idea.

I know I have posted this before but I will again.
I made mine with cattle panels.
It was real easy to build and it works great.
Total cost was around $200.

What I built for the wife a few years back. Treated lumber lined with polyethylene sheeting before back filling. I was surprised how fast the lumber dried out in one season. Since the picture was taken lumber has been painted a light gray. Wife wanted something more then the two tomato plant patch she had. I cleared out trees and scrubs on the south end of our property and built this for her. 200 feet of water line, timer and soaker hoses. Wife's happy which means I'm happy.

Bed.JPG

We've been talking about a greenhouse on the south side of the house. Visqueen won't work because of the wind and it would block the view. I'm thinking about a combination of glass and polycarbonate. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Heat would be lost from the house to extend the growing season and solar gain from the greenhouse would gain energy all year. The effect from wind chill would also be improved.

We are talking about adding a greenhouse on the mtn place. The house is shaped kinda like a T so I think a small greenhouse built onto the side of the T that faces south. Kinda like these. https://www.homedepot.com/s/Sun%20room?NCNI-5

Last edited:
We've been talking about a greenhouse on the south side of the house. Visqueen won't work because of the wind and it would block the view. I'm thinking about a combination of glass and polycarbonate. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Heat would be lost from the house to extend the growing season and solar gain from the greenhouse would gain energy all year. The effect from wind chill would also be improved.

Car, I think it is a great idea. I want to do the same thing someday. Use the house heat during night and help heat house during the day from solar energy.
And we too were thinking of using part glass and part polly.
I'd have to turn a window into a door to do so. Only part of house the sun shines in all day is bedroom. Also only place for door is window since concrete blocks are filled with cement in the walls for extra strenth and security..

IMO best place to buy GH sheeting.

ft20pop_1.jpg

http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/home

Last edited:
We are talking about adding a greenhouse on the mtn place. The house is shaped kinda like a T so I think a small greenhouse built onto the side of the T that faves south. Kina like these. https://www.homedepot.com/s/Sun%20room?NCNI-5

We did that about 4 years ago and it worked great. Onlt we used front porch for entrance and now want ot use window in house.

These have been around for a few years.
I know a woman who used black plastic cement mixing tubs as a raised bed.
The guy in the video,for some reason drive me crazy, his voice :mad:
I do not know why.

These have been around for a few years.
I know a woman who used black plastic cement mixing tubs as a raised bed.
The guy in the video,for some reason drive me crazy, his voice :mad:
I do not know why.

:LOL:I know he drives hubby crazy too. But he is smart just a little fast talking,:eyeballs:.

Latest posts

Back