"A "Survivalist's Journey in shtf environment "WROL

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
Last edited:
Yes.......I screwed up.....thought I was posting both "Parts ONE & TWO"........ I was wrong.

Yes.......I screwed up.....thought I was posting both "Parts ONE & TWO"........ I was wrong.

heres part 1 for you .theres part 1 with letters a through d parts as well.

Last edited:
"Elkhound" Thanks.....for finding that.

Interesting "lack" of discussion in this thread. I guess it is strongly held that, nothing like that could every happen in America. "Normalcy Bias" runs reality.

Sourdough, you're in far better shape than I. I don't have the strength or stamina to take a hike on a garden path let alone across virgin forest. I've done it so I know what it is like. Knowing yourself and working with your reality is important.

When that day arrives my role would be to delay the opposing force and reduce their numbers.

Sourdough, you're in far better shape than I. I don't have the strength or stamina to take a hike on a garden path let alone across virgin forest. I've done it so I know what it is like. Knowing yourself and working with your reality is important.

When that day arrives my role would be to delay the opposing force and reduce their numbers.
In the last year, I have been reduced to the same thing. What I am best good for now is knowledge. Now....If I only had someone local to share it with.

Those are good videos. However, they're discouraging for us older &/or average physical specimens. My constructive takeaway is to simplify that model to a realistic level. Half the weight might be doable. The figure in the video seems slow and cumbersome so much as to be extra-vulnerable. Given the model challenge, 50 miles in rough terrain, one ought to be able to achieve that in a week or less. The longer you're out & about the more opportunities arise to be caught in the open.
Look up the story of Kit Carson, where he went for help for General Kearny when surrounded by the Mexican Army. He & a young scout snuck through the enemy lines in the dark, barefoot, then traveled between 25-30 miles overnight to the friendly forces.

Last edited:
Those are good videos. However, they're discouraging for us older &/or average physical specimens. My constructive takeaway is to simplify that model to a realistic level. Half the weight might be doable. The figure in the video seems slow and cumbersome so much as to be extra-vulnerable. Given the model challenge, 50 miles in rough terrain, one ought to be able to achieve that in a week or less. The longer you're out & about the more opportunities arise to be caught in the open.
Look up the story of Kit Carson, where he went for help for General Kearny when surrounded by the Mexican Army. He & a young scout snuck through the enemy lines in the dark, barefoot, then traveled between 25-30 miles overnight to the friendly forces.

If you can't prep to hike 30 miles around a roadblock...you can always prep to break through it instead. There is usually more than one solution to a problem.

^ ..ie: one small - but Essential - 'bug-out Prep', imo:

NCBC_media-01.png

jd

Yep, but one 'word of caution when shopping' - Pay Extra $$, to suss-out / buy a set Made in (and, from-scratch Made-in, not just "assembled in") the USA, or Europe - AVOID CHINAWARE TOOLS, especially for 'high-stress load' ones like this..

..It's actually Hard to find such, but.. Well worth the effort, as it's either 'Pay Now - or Pay Later', when it comes to the quality / longevity of certain Tools..

I'll check my set / see what 'Brand' it is, but.. Likely, the 'OEM' is not even around anymore, as most of my 'core legacy-tools', I inherited from my Grandfather, and he had bought them in the 60s, 70s and 80s, when, 'worst case', you were getting stuff 'Made in Taiwan' or Japan, (Much-better qual than China bollocks..) and the 'really good stuff' was made in Germany or Switzerland, but.. Nowadays, it's Hard to find such equals..

..But Well Worth the effort to try / seek-out, imo.. 👍 Anyhoo, back to the SHTF-Channel. ;)

jd

Video is good to go and within the realm of possibility. I'm already at my BOL, I have several set up. Bob , inch and what I call a movement to contact set. Everyone's set of circumstances , financial , physical , gear etc. Is different. I will expound more later.

The guy had night vision and was young and healthy enough that he should have been able to make that journey in about three nights. Doing that in broad daylight in full combat gear was lunacy. Based on the scenario, most of fighting would have been in the city and near military installations. Grey, with night vision, at night, with less gear a person in decent shape should be able to navigate 50 miles of most lower 48 terrain in 2 or three nights.

The second video was more interesting, and it has my noggin noodling. Based on that scenario, if Alaska didn‘t get that resupply, it would get dicey.

It is interesting although it seems a bit far fetched to think that the entire U.S Military would stand down. I don't see me or mine walking 50 miles to a bug out location. I would be better suited to staying where I am and being part of a covert resistance role like the partisans of WW2. Hiding everything I have, and being a covert royal PITA to all invaders. Active military duty would not be an option, but I would defend to Constitution with my dying breath.

I do have a question for the group. In the first video where the Survivalist is walking to the BOL, when you stop to rest wouldn't you look for a place with more concealment? Behind a tree or a rock or something? He seemed awfully exposed to me, but I have ne experience. I initially wondered why he was moving during the day, but it did go on to say he walked the latter 2/3's of the journey at night.

The guy had night vision and was young and healthy enough that he should have been able to make that journey in about three nights. Doing that in broad daylight in full combat gear was lunacy.

True..........But it is a introduction/fundamental training video intended for those with absolutely zero field experience at cross country (off trail) travel and navigation. It is intended as a "Heads'up" wake-up for those who assume it will be a walk in the park adventure. In my opinion more then 90% of Americans, could not to what the first video lays-out, even with a guide, or infantry team guiding their safety, but not carrying their gear. In my opinion people are delusional about the SHTF realities. And that delusion is 100% intentional, propagated by fear and Normalcy Bias.

To Morgan101: If he was more concealed they wouldn't have been able to make the video. But yes, down in that hollow seemed extra vulnerable compared to somewhere on a steep hillside with his back to a big tree. He easily could have been taken by surprise down there with no chance.

To Morgan101: If he was more concealed they wouldn't have been able to make the video. But yes, down in that hollow seemed extra vulnerable compared to somewhere on a steep hillside with his back to a big tree. He easily could have been taken by surprise down there with no chance.

I thought the same thing. If you can't see him you have a nice peaceful video of the woods. I might have filmed him looking for a more secluded place to emphasize security. You did confirm my original thought. You want to be secure while you stop. THX.

At first blush I thought it was a bit over the top to think that some governors would turn to China for help, but then I recall several elected leaders turned down federal assistance last summer as their cities burned all because they didn‘t like Trump. And their cities burned all summer, people died, and property was lost all for political ideology. It could happen. We do elect evil, or stupid people. We get what we deserve.

At first blush I thought it was a bit over the top to think that some governors would turn to China for help, but then I recall several elected leaders turned down federal assistance last summer as their cities burned all because they didn‘t like Trump. And their cities burned all summer, people died, and property was lost all for political ideology. It could happen. We do elect evil, or stupid people. We get what we deserve.
Yes, and Newsom sent $1 billion of Californians' tax moneys to China for masks that never arrived.

I'm not saying it couldn't happen, and I totally agree that the idiots in powerful positions are unfit to serve, and those that voted for them do deserve what they get. No doubt.

Logistically the shortest distance between mainland China, and the West Coast of the United States is over 5000 miles. From China to California is nearly 6000 miles. If China did launch an invading force by air or by sea it would take a significant amount of time for it to get here. We would have plenty of warning. It would not be a surprise attack. Maybe I am being naive, but I would hope resistance would be far greater than what is shown.

I would also hope if there is a merciful God, that if China nuked the Philippines, we would retaliate with like and kind.

Logistically the shortest distance between mainland China, and the West Coast of the United States is over 5000 miles. From China to California is nearly 6000 miles. If China did launch an invading force by air or by sea it would take a significant amount of time for it to get here. We would have plenty of warning. It would not be a surprise attack.

They are "ALREADY" here. And the distance between Alaska and Russia is one mile. People need to wake-up as to how there is an intentional well executed plan to distract America and NATO towards being obsessed with Asia and South East Asia. All the while China and "especially" Russian are super strengthening the North Pacific. Russia is industrializing and building military instillations for total control of the North West Passage and industrial mining under the ice.

I do not believe we will ever been invaded against our will by China or Russia.

I think its probable they may be invited in to help restore order and render humanitarian aide following our collapse.

I think when ever we get around to our civil war, they will both be involved. I think its very plausible to imagine chinese covert airdrops of high tech weapons to american insurgents, or Russian special forces working in Idaho training camps to prepare partisans for attacks on California, while Japanese and Israel forces are used to quell disturbances in the midwest, and south African contractors patrol Arizona.

No civil war ever remains purely a domestic matter.

ever think about this...why would china invade u.s. no profit it in from what they are vested in us at current way and system. meaning..they hold bonds,notes etc. yet for us to pay off. as they been cashing these in they been buying gold to back their currency and buying hard assets and building their infrastructure up. like buying worlds largest gold mine. it makes zero sense to bite the hand that feeds you..in this case the ones they are selling to.people who own business like their patrons and lets face we are their patron to their company story...like it or not. we produce nothing here hardly now.

go look at lebanon...they import 80% of everything. i dont know what we import but i would like to know.

makes so sense to kill your customers who you are gaining financial greatness from. if you enslave them then you bear the brunt of feeding and care and cost of war. we debt slaves and tend to our own needs while they siphon off.theres only so many global customers who can afford stuff like u.s. currently.

Latest posts

Back