A train wreck of a human being

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sentry18

Thrivalist
Neighbor
We all know someone who is a train wreck of a human being. Maybe they just can't pull it together, maybe they were born without common sense, maybe they just fell upon some bad luck that never ran out. Either way sometimes their life events are hilarious, other times they are just sad. But for those of us who exist outside of their world, sometimes they can be pretty entertaining. This seems like a good place to discuss these people.

I will kick things off:

I know a guy who makes so many bad choices I can't believe he has not ended up homeless or dead. He is one of the laziest parents that have ever existed. The man has 3 kids, all in their 20's, all of whom still live at home and none of whom have ever been able to hold down a job. Last week I ran into him and he was proudly telling me how he decided it's time to start teaching his kids some life skills. So he bought each of them a $2,500 vehicle that does not run but could be repaired with an investment of $400-500. He told them that if they get their driver's licenses (he still drives them everywhere) and jobs, they could soon have the independence of vehicular transportation! He was so proud of this Dad moment that he was telling everyone. I just found out today that the kids said no thanks and went back to watching TV and lounging around all day. Now he has 3 nonworking cars sitting in his driveway with for sale signs on them. Pretty sure when he retires in a couple years they will live off his pension until he dies then end up feeding off of Uncle Sam for the rest of their lives. :rolleyes:

There are a few tweakers in our neighborhood. My neighbor who is a good neighbor but somewhat questionable. He is single in his 50s. I will add I do not know him well we are new to the area.
He has a woman and 3 small children living in a tent for about 2 months now. I have never spoken to her but from her hours and actions I suspected her as a meth addict. I was driving by the other day and mentioned I thought she was strange. He said she is ok any woman doing dope and still has her kids that really tells me something. It is not often someone says something so profoundly stupid I do not have a response but this was one of them.
I wanted to say ya me to it tells me CPS is looking for her or yes any woman doing dope when her kids are homeless really tells me something too. I suspect he has bad intentions and will move her in for winter. I don't think I have much to say to him anymore.

Well, you could report them because in some states, isn't it illegal not to report if you see kids in a bad situation?

That is true, but in most states CPS is so disorganized that they don't do anything when they should and intervene when they shouldn't.

My wife was just telling me about a woman she knows who was fired (gasp) because she called in sick so many times that she exceeded her paid sick leave. The reason she was calling in sick? Anxiety over leaving her pets home alone. Yep. She asked for pet maternity leave which was denied, so she started calling in sick 1-2x a week to make sure her pets were cared for. How much you wanna bet she is collecting a gov't check now?

Years ago I started referring to them as “Chaos People” and I’ve known more than a few in my life. I think it goes much deeper than bad choices. Now, I hate to make generalizations and not all chaos people fit what I’m about to describe but a great many do.

A majority of such people I’ve known were raised in chaotic situations. As adults it’s as if they don’t know how to function without chaos in their lives. Whether consciously or subconsciously they create much of the chaos around them. More than a few times I’ve been asked to help and I did so. I figured a way out of the mess they were in and 2 months later they were in a whole different mess… The constant… Chaos! month after month, year after year.

The other side of the coin is also true and courageous. I’ve known a great number of people during my life who put the chaos of their childhood behind them and learned a new way to live. Bravo to all who did such.

Since becoming disabled I have no room for chaos people in my life and keep them as far away as possible. Sorry, no current stories to tell and more than a few I’d like to forget.

Last edited:
Well, you could report them because in some states, isn't it illegal not to report if you see kids in a bad situation?
Yes reporting crossed my mind. However I have no evidence that the kids lives are currently worse than the Foster system. They may be having the best camping trip ever. They have a riverfront camp site. I assume they are using the neighbors facilities.

Yes reporting crossed my mind. However I have no evidence that the kids lives are currently worse than the Foster system. They may be having the best camping trip ever. They have a riverfront camp site. I assume they are using the neighbors facilities.

I've lived with a drug using parent and in a foster home. I'd take the foster home any day.

My wife was just telling me about a woman she knows who was fired (gasp) because she called in sick so many times that she exceeded her paid sick leave. The reason she was calling in sick? Anxiety over leaving her pets home alone. Yep. She asked for pet maternity leave which was denied, so she started calling in sick 1-2x a week to make sure her pets were cared for. How much you wanna bet she is collecting a gov't check now?
Around here you can stay on social assistance if moving means you would have to give up your pets, even if there is a job waiting for you at the new location.

Terri having been system myself you were fortunate, that really could have gone either way. Any information I have on the woman is hearsay. I don't have first hand knowledge of anything.

we have many in the inner cities who have never worked a day in their lives, several generations in one house.
some "couples" with large families, 20 or more kids from 20 to like 18months, and they thinks its "cool"!!
dosent bother me as the big cities are a long way from me and SHTF will sort them all out.

That is true, but in most states CPS is so disorganized that they don't do anything when they should and intervene when they shouldn't.

Ain't that the truth!

About 40 years ago we had a neighbor who teen daughter came in one day and announced to her mother she was about to get a raise. She was pregnant so larger welfare. check.

CPS is the original red flag law enforcement organization.
Someone calls them and the next thing you know your kids are gone.
I worked with a guy that was put through hell because of his 14 year old daughter and CPS.
She wanted to go to a party and he said no. She and her friend came up with a plan. If she reported her dad for something she could go home with the friend and they could go to the party. She told someone at the school her dad was mean to her, CPS was called and she didn't come home from school.
He finally got a call at 9PM informing him she was in CPS custody and no other information was available.
He got a call the next day telling him he had a court date and if he didn't show up he would lose custody permanently.
It was a nightmare for him and his wife.
It took over 4 months and thousands of dollars to get her back and to this day it is still on his record even tho it was all proven to be a false report.
Want to make someone life a living hell. Turn them into CPS.

One of my oldest kids friends told her to call in on us because we wouldn't let her go to a party. I over heard it and brought her the phone. Told her to go ahead a call and while we waited to start packing because she would never be coming back. If she was going to make up a lies about us then we didn't want her here. It really scared her and we found out later that this "friend" got away with threatening her parents all the time. That described now has 2 kids with no fathers to be found and a brother that is being hunted by 2 local gangs and a cartel.

Now that the kid is older she understands WHY she couldn't go to the parties and the type of people her exfriend hung out with.

One of my oldest kids friends told her to call in on us because we wouldn't let her go to a party. I over heard it and brought her the phone. Told her to go ahead a call and while we waited to start packing because she would never be coming back. If she was going to make up a lies about us then we didn't want her here. It really scared her and we found out later that this "friend" got away with threatening her parents all the time. That described now has 2 kids with no fathers to be found and a brother that is being hunted by 2 local gangs and a cartel.

Now that the kid is older she understands WHY she couldn't go to the parties and the type of people her ex-friend hung out with.
Children learn at a young age what they can get away and what they won't get away with. They also learn many behaviors from the parents without the parents realizing what they are doing. Parents who have their children lie about this or that have no idea the long term ramifications of that.

My son once threatened me with a call to CPS because I used a paddle to spank him when he challenged my authority.
I told him to call and then he could pack his stuff and his sister's stuff and let his mom know to pack her stuff because the house was in my name and they would not let him or the rest of his family live there.
We had a long talk about the law and I let him see where it was OK for me to use the paddle rather than my hands to spank him. The I told him my hands were for love and not corrections.
After he got married he called to ask me to build a paddle for him. I did and with it instructions for each of them to try it out to learn how much it took to make noise and how much more it took to be painful.
He realized the entire effect was psychological and not physical. He has it hung on the living room wall just like I did. I must have done something right somewhere.

Latest posts

Back