A Very "SERIOUS" Question about "Prepping" for "THE FINAL EXAM"....???

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if I can talk the Dr into giving me a 1 year supply of blood pressure medicine?

Otherwise 3 months max and then it will be one day at a time.

Ben

If you find yourself in a SHTF situation without your meds, you might be interested in my case:

In spite of eating (somewhat) healthy foods, I had high blood pressure. Doc put me on meds and try as I might, I could NOT take them. Headaches, felt crummy when taking the prescribed meds (this was a long time ago, and I don't remember what they were). I chucked them into the trash and researched what I could do naturally. After just a few months of my own regimen, I was able to bring the pressure that always read consistently above 145/90 to that of a teenager: 115/76!!

I take these herbs and nutrients every day. (Vitacost.com is the best and cheapest place I have ever found for name-brand health supplements and more. Their reputation is stellar.)

Follow directions on bottles:

Kyolic brand garlic (completely odorless garlic) - in SHTF situation, this would call for fresh garlic (which I also consume fresh almost daily in things like homemade salad/vegetable dressings, tzatziki sauce, etc.... and surprise! My friends tell me they cannot detect garlic breath coming from me. I believe them because most of them are brutally honest, lol). I suspect that the chlorophyll in the abundant leafy green vegetables in my diet acts as a natural deodorizer.

Hawthorn berries - (in process of starting to grow this for SHTF) beneficial for cardiovascular conditions such as hypertension, high cholesterol, and other cardiovascular issues.

Fish oil - I use Vitacost's brand and take it in the middle of my meal. No aftertaste or burping.
(https://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-fish-oil) (SHTF: use wild-caught fish, but it would be super good to stock up on cold-water fish such as salmon, tuna, mackerel, etc. as much as possible.)

Coenzyme Q10 - amazing stuff. Clears the cobwebs outta the mind, lol. It enhances the blood's abilty to carry oxygen to your heart, brain, eyes, all of your organs... And it does so much more. Google dat.

Diet rich in:

Berries - SHTF: Plant as many low-maintenance berry plants you can, here, there, everywhere. If they are native to your area it's even better, so that they can multiply and naturalize in your area with little effort on your part. That way you won't have to go far to forage. Dry your harvest for future months and years.

Fresh leafy greens (I forage a LOT outdoors to supplement garden stuff)

Vegetables of all kinds - homegrown or Farmer's Market

Beans, lentils - organic only, and frequently. I buy by the sack at Azurestandard.com

Whole brown rice - organic only, and frequently. I buy by the sack at Azurestandard.com

Organic eggs - Organic eggs do not carry the cholesterol risks that battery eggs do. I really miss having chickens, but I am tired of battling bears, mountain lions, coyotes, etc.

Organic milk - If I can't get organic for making cheese, cooking, or drinking... I skip it.

The chemicals (pesticides, etc.) that are used in growing most commercial grains are a culprit behind many "new" disorders that were never the huge problem it is today. For example, 60 years ago, "gluten sensitivity" was exceedingly rare. Cancer and cardiovascular disease were not common like it is today either....

So...I make my own breads, tortillas, biscuits, and pasta with organic grains only.

Salt - I replaced my popcorn salt with Morton's Lite salt which has 50% less sodium and contains potassium. For general dietary sodium, I either reduce the amount, or else use Morton's Lite.

Meats - limit red meats in my diet to once a week, mostly deer or other organic meats. I like to treat myself to a steak or homemade burger (cavewoman on the loose arrrgh arrrgh... !). Poultry and fish are common menu items.

Processed meats - such as Cajun andouille or smoked sausages: if it contains nitrates or msg. I stay away from it. All other kinds of processed meats are off-limits.

Sauerkraut - raw, not pasteurized heat-treated storebought. When I am out of homemade, I order mine from Azure standard---> Organic, non-GMO Food and Produce Delivered - Azure Standard

Yogurt - Plain - NO sugar (which kills the probiotic bacteria). I sweeten just before eating with either stevia or bananas with a little dab of honey. If I can't make my own (from organic milk when I can get it), I buy Stonyfields Organic yogurt. And...tzatziki sauce, here I come!

Apple Cider vinegar - raw, organic. I have made my own with a variety of different fruits, but when I buy commercially made, it is almost always the Bragg's brand. Use for making a refreshing drink: 1 teaspoon vinegar, 1 teaspoon honey. Serve chilled. Also make a Goldenrod vinegar, and a rose petal vinegar (simply by covering the plant matter with vinegar and allowing it to sit in a jar for 6 - 8 weeks). This is great to make a salad dressing with or use instead of plain vinegar in the drink I just described. Both goldenrod and rose petals have health benefits. (Google it)

Avocado oil - use for making salad dressings, cooking. Great for popping popcorn, as it has a high smoke point and neutral taste.

NO sugar - except for mix of coconut sugar and xylitol in my coffee and whatnot. Use stevia in some things...like yogurt.

As any proper Cajun would, I cook a lot with onions, celery, bell pepper, garlic, all chopped and sauteed before using. It is chopped finely enough that even my pickiest friends cannot detect the presence of these seasonings. Of course, hot pepper sauce is on the table. All of these are good for blood pressure issues.

I make a mineral-rich thing (not sure what to call it) by chopping finely: 4 sticks of celery and two large sweet apples. Add a dollop of honey if the apples are not sweet enough. A small bowl of the wondermous thing every morning keeps things in the digestive system moving along regularly, and the abundant minerals are good for blood pressure, cardiac issues, and is calming to the entire nervous system.

This is how I reduced my long-standing stupid blood pressure problem without medication. Meals are not boring, and my recipes are frequently requested. So it must be good to others, too!

Last edited:
99.999% of the postings about the topic of invasions I have seen have been about prepping for home invasions on a more "normal" level (which includes criminals or even the fabled zombie hordes) than being overtaken by military force, which is a totally different animal than most of us can fathom.

No one can withstand that kind of invasion without fighting and suiciding their way out of it. That is why it is the biggest elephant in the room. So no one talks about it. But it bears mentally preparing for it. I may be able to only hide for so long, even in a remote area. It is my nature to think ahead for Plan F...as in FUBAR. To prepare myself for the unthinkable, as well as for the more likely things.
I agree and that is why our last ditch plan is evacuation by a private airplane . My 18 year old grandson now has his piolet license and will began in less than a week his push for other air aviation license . Now the hurdle of obtaining the airplane is our bigger challenge . When we began working toward this goal it likely seemed idiotic to some . -- "Now less fast forward to today " . Covid restrictions are closing commercial aircraft travel to the pure blooded , Roadblocks being set up on interstates searching for sick travelers and sometimes turning back the vehicle and denying entry into some states . Country to country boarders being closed , Some government officials wanting to hunt down the pure blooded for forced vaccination or internment camps . -- Tonight look at what is going on in Afghanistan as the Taliban takes over the country . The Biden regime is planning to leave those that aided the U.S. to the whelm of the murderous hoard . What would those betrayed families give tonight to have a private airplane , on which they could escape ? Where we would fly to , I have no idea but we will keep trying to survive no matter what the circumstances .

Well, Polt... you can bet that air traffic will be even more heavily monitored than they are now, which is saying a lot. You and yours will likely be met on the ground when you land.

We've been working on this since 04. When we staked our 20 acres of remote cabin property. And built a log cabin. I am always working on it in my mind and how to make it so our family could make it when things get to that point.
My beautiful wife is in to plants. So I also have been learning about how to make tinctures and how to use other plants for food or building things. We are transplanting rhubarb, raspberry, hapsap blueberries, and other edible edible plants that survive our climate n moose don't eat. Chaga n such is already there so I've been logged the plants I find .
. Cabin is near a salmon stream with all 5 species of salmon n year round rainbow, grayling. And of course moose n bears. Lynx n beaver around for food n fur. Putting a sandpoint well inside the cabin, hopefully finish this year.
We have outfitted the cabin with several months worth of canned dehydrated food. A generator shed with a hundred gallons of gasoline we rotate through. Also used as a work shop tool shed. Walk in cooler as I have a new air conditioner to install. I insulated it for this purpose. Back when I first started this project. Finally checking it off the list. Looking for a mini freezer so I can use it as a freezer or fridge. We have a vacuum sealer n bags there for food preserving. We could process n vacuum seal n freeze a moose out there.
And do it comfortably. Propane stove n extra propane on site. We have several atvs on site to help with the heavy work.
We fly in , in the summer but could build temporary bridges n get out there during summer. In winter I could get there from our home on snogos.

We also have our our bullet n shotgun reloading equipment, powder n small smelter.
And I know what its like to be out there by myself for months at a time. And confident in my skills.
And our kids n there's live near so we get together fast.
So yeah I've thought about it and took what I feel are good approaches to protect my family and enjoy all Alaska has to offer at the same time. With my family.

..If you have a pet that needs to be euthanized, don't take it to the vet for a fatal shot (most pets hate the vet anyway), take it for a nice walk and while it is distracted, shoot it in the head.

il_1140xN.118158224.jpg

Great Book.. 👍 Sad / tragic, and all, but.. That's Life..

PS -
After taking hawthorn berry for almost 2 months ...did not make any difference in my blood pressure.

Thanks for the data-points, Ben.. :cool:

jd

After taking hawthorn berry for almost 2 months and recording my blood pressure 3 time most days my doctor agreed the hawthorn berry did not make any difference in my blood pressure.

He couldn't recommend any non prescription alternative.

Ben

Try taking a quality combination hawthorn berry and leaf extract (capsules). Look for any brand that is carried by either vitacost.com or swansonvitamins.com. They sell only reputable brands of top quality.

Before trying any new-to-me brand, I check to see if it is also sold by either of those two health food outlets, which generally means top-quality.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back