A week without a bathroom

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SheepDog

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Well, it has been quite a week at home!
It all started innocently enough with the bathroom sinks not draining properly which I fixed by running a snake down the drains. I thought it was just a common clog in the pipes.
That escalated to a slow draining in the tub - my big soaking tub. That was followed by the shower drain stopping followed by the toilet stoppage.
I decided that I had to call a plumber which I did... They ran a powered snake from the lower cleanout and then from the toilet out toward the lower cleanout.
Still a problem existed... upon looking in the crawl space they found a broken pipe and all the pipe hangers (plastic bands) were broken leaving no slope for the drain. They also found that sewage was spilled when the pipe broke or maybe when they snaked the pipes. FULL STOP!
I had to get a hazmat crew out to clean the area before the plumbers would fix the pipe. I called a local crew and they came out to give a quote on the clean-up. $5000 at least to do the clean-up! So I called my insurance company and filed a claim. Two days later (after the weekend) I got a return call and they asked the questions to decide whether it was a "covered loss". I was then informed that they would have a hazmat crew come out for a second quote. I agreed and Tuesday the crew showed up. Well, they went to work to clean it up without any pause and had it cleaned in about two hours!? I called the plumbers back and the soonest they could be there was Wednesday evening. I agreed because I didn't want to put it off for a week or more. The plumbers showed up about a half hour early - with no phone contact (they had a wrong number) but they made a preliminary inspection and went to work. I made it clear that I wanted steel straps that would hold the pipes in place after the job was done. They had to get some special screws to anchor the straps to the steel framework and went to get the job done. After only 2-1/2 hours they were done and had me flush the toilets in both bathrooms multiple times to make sure it was all clear and working properly. I turned the water back on to the toilets and flushed away. No leaks and drains that worked! Yea!
I spent a couple of hours cleaning the bath and shower of the ... "residue" from the backup and made sure that those drains were also working. I ran a hot bath and soaked for an hour and then showered and shaved.
So, the bottom line is it cost about $1000 for the plumber and I have a $1000 deductible for the insurance company. I have a written guarantee for 5 years on parts and labor for the plumbers. I don't feel too bad and although it was an unexpected cost at a very inconvenient time I had a great Thanksgiving on Thursday with my two sons and their families. It's OK because we gathered for the funerary rites of the turkey that died so no rules were broken.

@SheepDog , yikes! Nothing is cheap, especially when it comes tot plumbing and electrical.
Neighbor told me his hot water heater went out. He is a hair dresser and has a salon in his home. Plumbers came to replace his water heater, but told him he had to upgrade something in his electrical before they could install the water heater. $11,000 later, he had a new water heater, and upgraded electrical.

Now I am dreading the time when my hot water heater will need to be replaced. I did get the electrical box replaced about 25 years ago when it was broken by the man who broke into my house, on his way out after I confronted him. Not sure how he broke it, but it had to be replaced. Maybe he didn't use the ladder on his way out that he brought to use on his way in the second story window.

Hate to hear that SD. Plumbing problems always suck. Normally when I do a plumbing repair I almost always make 3-4 trips to get it right. I just went Wednesday to Lowes on my way home from work to pick up 2 wax rings for the toilets. Wife had called and said she had found water at the base of both of ours. So I'll be pulling them and changing the rings out before long.
I did find a new "to me" part. They now have a product that is reuseable to replace a wax ring. Covers a range of hieghts as well. I'll try and remember to do a review on them.

I can and do handle most household repairs. Electrical is rarely a problem for me and I have completely wired two buildings from the panel to the lights and outlets. I can clean or replace traps and runs to the 4" sewer line but after that it takes some big equipment that I don't have and don't want. Appliances and walls and doors are easy stuff - even water heaters are no big deal. I have repaired furnaces and blowers but when they started putting electronic controls into the appliances they become "throw-away" pieces. After 7 to 10 years they don't make replacement parts. 🤬

There can be all kinds of problems. Pipes, electric feeds, sizes, and placement can all be against you unless you don't care... :)

It's weird that you posted this. I just skipped thru an article today that said the day after Thanksgiving is the busiest day for plumbers. I guess there's no 4 day weekend for plumbers after Turkey Day.

Glad you got it taken care of and that the insurance company at least paid a portion of it.

Thanks angie_nrs,
I was more concerned with the time line than the cost. My wife just looked at me when I told her about the cost and I told her we had the money to cover it. She made some remark about how good I was and then gave me a hug and a long kiss. I think I am a lucky man to be so blessed. We are truly a complementary pair and have been since we met online. Married 18 years and no arguments or fights... still on our honeymoon.

Thanks angie_nrs,
I was more concerned with the time line than the cost. My wife just looked at me when I told her about the cost and I told her we had the money to cover it. She made some remark about how good I was and then gave me a hug and a long kiss. I think I am a lucky man to be so blessed. We are truly a complementary pair and have been since we met online. Married 18 years and no arguments or fights... still on our honeymoon.
Awwwww......nothing like getting your thone back to make you swoon over your sweetie. :heart:

That would be awful to not have your toilet for a few days.....a week would be awful. Did you have to use a lug-a-loo for that time? I actually have one in my stash just in case we ever have an issue. I could also use it in the deer blind if it was truly necessary, although I've never had to use it there.

That would be awful to not have your toilet for a few days.....a week would be awful. Did you have to use a lug-a-loo for that time? I actually have one in my stash just in case we ever have an issue. I could also use it in the deer blind if it was truly necessary, although I've never had to use it there.
One of those saved our butts (pun) in a recent hurricane when stormwater overwhelmed the neighborhood sewer system.
During a storm EVERYTHING is closed, even gas stations.
And you can't go to your neighbor's house because they are in the same boat as you.
Even the back yard won't work because 65mph wind-driven rain will vaporize TP.
Where you gonna go?gaah
I never thought something so simple could end up being so important.

Yes, it's all part of preparations. Be ready for something even if it is unlikely to happen.
That may be why my son tells me I "over-engineer" everything. :)

Latest posts

Back