About getting started and staying going as a working Adult

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
A couple thoughts about getting started.

- Find your best time of the day. Many, if not most people have the most energy in the morning. Once you are used to it ,its easy to get up an hour early, take care of fitness via a run or some calisthenics at home or stop by a gym on the way and then go to work.
The Big advantage of this approach is you needed to shower and get dressed in work clothes anyway to go to work, so the shower/getting dressed time u use when exercising in the morning is really not extra time spent and is so "free".

- Some like to get away from the office desk in the middle of the day the most. Its early enough they still have energy and late enough they feel they accomplished something for the day already.
I fall in this category.
The inherent risk is if work is too busy in the middle of the day you may lose your exercise opportunity as many bosses dont like it when someone stops in the middle of a project to "go run" or "go to the "Gym".

Also this only works in locations were you have an immediate running route to go on (because in the middle of the work day "lunch hour" you will not have time to travel anywhere and back..) or a Gym in the building itself or next building over. This is usually is only the case in very large office buildings or Office parks.. Not everyone will have the opportunity to do this.

- After work. While many people are at their lowest energy now...organizationally this is usually the easiest time to exercise.
You're on your way home anyway.. just stopping by a gym or going on a run straight out of work can be fit super easy into your workday.. Your family doesnt feel they "own" your time yet too.
If your work does not have a gym and/or shower to shower after the run, bring some wetwipe or if you dont care about your vehicle drive home dirty.

- Finally the ultimate way to get started and not lose your way when exercising is to find an exercise buddy. Ideally someone who works with you. This makes it MUCH easier to get up and out rather thna just stay sitting at the desk and surf the internet during lunch hour.

Another thing I would add, is to choose an activity you like to do, other wise you'll view it as a chore instead of a nice thing to do for yourself. Also switch things up. If you do the same thing day in and day out, you'll likely stop getting the results you want. Unless, of coarse, your goal is just to get outside.....then going on a walk every day will suffice.

I am a home exerciser for a few reasons. #1 - I don't like people watching me work out. #2 - I don't like sweating it out in someone else's mess.....I'm kind of a germaphobe that way. I just don't think gyms are very clean. #3 - I don't have a gym near me. #4 - I have many exercise videos and equipment at home so I have LOTS of activities to choose from. #5 - Working out at home is easier to schedule and it's something I've been able to remain consistent with. Remaining consistent is the KEY.

I have tried to get up early and schedule workouts in the morning, but I am just not a morning person at all. I'd rather sleep in and exercise after work. When I was working at the hospital, it just made the most sense to do that. I'd walk in the door, change out of my scrubs and put on my workout clothes, do a workout, then shower. And when I workout, I NEED a shower. There's no way I'd be able to do a decent workout on my lunch and then go back to work.

At the hospital I worked at, many of the nurses went to the basement and walked around the outer perimeter of the building during their lunch break. The walkway went around the entire indoor outer wall of the basement so you could get your walking in no matter what time of year it was or what the weather was like. Even adding in this type of activity is better than nothing at all.

I never had an exercise buddy. Thankfully, I didn't need one, although I can see how having a workout buddy would be beneficial for many people. It IS a whole lot easier to eat healthy when you can get family members on board with you.

I have also changed my mindset about what a "workout" was throughout the years. I used to think that only an hour long workout was good enough. Now, I have several 20 minute workouts that leave me feeling very well worked. I like to vary my times from usually 30 minutes to 1 hour. Even then, sometimes I go a bit shorter and sometimes a bit longer. But I no longer think that a short workout isn't worth the effort. I have several 30 minute HIIT workouts that can totally kick my butt!

For me it's all about routine. I workout on my lunch break because it is the single most convenient time of the day for me to do so and it ensures I have had enough fasting time to maximize by testosterone and HGH. We have a workout room at the PD but I prefer to workout at home. Not because I care if people see me work out, but because I want to work out in quiet. Not bass thumping music and grunting.

I also include "physical activity" into my exercise schedules. Things such as mowing the lawn, walking the dogs, cleaning the house, etc. Because exercise does not always mean barbells and medicine balls.

I just am not in the mood to do anything in the early morning. I'm not even really functional for an hour after I get up. After work does me just fine. It's actually one of my more energetic times of day too, so long as I don't stop and sit in the easy chair. Once that happens, it's all over for me...I have discovered that I like later in the morning, like 9 or 10AM, just as well. On my days off, I like to get my daughter to school, grab a coffee at 8:15, check out the news at the coffee shop, then go to the gym.

I try to exercise in the morning.

But I am fortunate ,don't have to work so I can work at my own pace and time. You peopel who work plus work out are inspiring to me.

Another thing I would add, is to choose an activity you like to do, other wise you'll view it as a chore instead of a nice thing to do for yourself.
My perspective is --I don't do it because I have to, I do it because I can!

I am a "first thing in the morning girl" Want to get it done whether it is a video or taking a walk.

I would add start out easy and work your way up. Too much too fast and you'll be too sore to keep it up.

Only compete with yourself self improvement is all that matters.

If you can follow your ruteen for 30 days it becomes a habit.

This has worked for me.

Latest posts

Back