About smart meters

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With smart meters the power company can charge more during peak hours. My wife runs the dishwasher at night to save a little.
I bought a Kill-a watt meter to see how much thing were using. The printer sits in the corner with the power on and rarely gets used. I figured it was costing me a lot. I found out it was pennies a month so I don't worry about it. It was interesting to see how much power some thing actually use. It only works for 120v devices so you can't check the water heater or cook stove.
https://www.amazon.com/P3-International-P4460-Electricity-Monitor/dp/B000RGF29Q
https://www.harborfreight.com/kill-a-watt-electric-monitor-93519.html

I just got into it with 2 guys from power com.
Said " came to put your meter in" I said ,oh no your not putting that dame thing in my house!! it was long 'discussion' me telling them why not them telling me it was harmless and not a smart meter, but a digital one. I told them yea you say that because thats what they tell you and you have to say that, but go investigate it yourself and see if you want your family exposed to the damn thing.We wentback and forth for about 30 minutes. Then hubby came out and said put the meterr in
I had to accept it or no telling what. Guess next time they come it will be with swat team! Just kidding I hope.
Nowhere to run and nowhere to hide. Guess I am too conspiratorial.

What made me so upset was he knew I had told them last week no meter changing. Then they show up with a meter,same guy.Plus they are still going to charge for the ' digital ' meter they put in today. Extra $30.00 a month and it can go up as they please. So it is insult after injury.
Saying digital meter and they won't have to come on our property,well they never came on it in 22 years anyway to read meter.
I hear it is against the law to go off totally grid too. You can have some solar it just has to be hooked up along with power com.

Another woman the jackboots lied to calling it a digital. We don't have any rights or protection from them and like frogs in a pot we are under water and most don't even realize it.
Now I know fro a fact that rep lied to us.

These meters are not only unhealthy but can burn down your home and put off dirty electricity.

Australia same problems

With smart meters the power company can charge more during peak hours. My wife runs the dishwasher at night to save a little.
I bought a Kill-a watt meter to see how much thing were using. The printer sits in the corner with the power on and rarely gets used. I figured it was costing me a lot. I found out it was pennies a month so I don't worry about it. It was interesting to see how much power some thing actually use. It only works for 120v devices so you can't check the water heater or cook stove.
https://www.amazon.com/P3-International-P4460-Electricity-Monitor/dp/B000RGF29Q
https://www.harborfreight.com/kill-a-watt-electric-monitor-93519.html

No offence BackL. But these clowns will just tell you your mete is wrong ' must be broke because we said so'. I have dealt with them both phone and electric com.
IMO, Rule number one they are always right ,rule number two if you don't like rule # one then we will find a way to make you sorry.
It is taking all the joy out of owning a home guess property tax hike will be next. Somebody has got to pay for all these " refugees " schools with teachers that speak 10 languages.

What made me so upset was he knew I had told them last week no meter changing. Then they show up with a meter,same guy.Plus they are still going to charge for the ' digital ' meter they put in today. Extra $30.00 a month and it can go up as they please. So it is insult after injury.
Saying digital meter and they won't have to come on our property,well they never came on it in 22 years anyway to read meter.
I hear it is against the law to go off totally grid too. You can have some solar it just has to be hooked up along with power com.
It is illegal to turn off your power. Quit paying your bill. When they disconnect you for non payment go down and pay exactly what you owe. They will ask for an additional deposit or a reconnect fee. Just tell them that you'll be back when you have the money. You leave owing nothing.

It is illegal to turn off your power. Quit paying your bill. When they disconnect you for non payment go down and pay exactly what you owe. They will ask for an additional deposit or a reconnect fee. Just tell them that you'll be back when you have the money. You leave owing nothing.
Maybe when it cools down some. And we plan for it and hook up our solar. Which is our next big project.
Let me tell yall that not only did they NOT CALL FIRST they come with meter but for first time EVER they just opened our gate and sped up into our drive and jumped out like they owned the place. Our dogs were going nuts we were not dressed for company and the last thing the liar told us a couple days before was it would be a year before we would be charged and new meter put in.

A picture of our new ' digital meter '

W382ahp.jpg

Last edited:
Meerkat, do you belong to an electric co-op? Who is your electricity supplier? I would draft a letter to the board and voice your concerns and contact your local legislators and tell them what happened. It likely will be like peeing in the wind b/c it won't change your situation, but they need to hear of your displeasure of the whole situation. I know what you are going through. I've gone through something similar and it is frustrating to say the least. Thus far, we still have our analog meter, but I know our time is limited on that. They do know that they'd best notify me beforehand b/c they got a big earful when changing another meter without notice. I think they were a bit surprised at the pushback. Hubs knows one of the board members as well, so I think that helps. They have put out newsletters saying that at some point in the near future they will have to switch all the meters. So, it's just a matter of time. But, that doesn't mean I have to like it, nor does it mean I have to take it laying down. That reminds me, it's time to contact my local legislators on the matter and see what's going on with the state laws. I haven't heard anything in quite some time, so I think they are just letting it go.

A letter, expressing safety concerns shifts the liability of dangerous results to the other party.
If your home is caught on fire due to the meter the electric company is then fully legally responsible.
If your health is affected the electric company is legally responsible.
It makes a civil suit easier to win.

The same is true if a neighbor tells you, in writing, that they are concerned about a tree in your yard possibly hitting their home if it should fall.
If it does damage their home in the next wind storm - even if it is a tornado - you are liable for the repairs.
Write the letter, send it return delivery notice, and put them in the hot seat.

Meerkat, do you belong to an electric co-op? Who is your electricity supplier? I would draft a letter to the board and voice your concerns and contact your local legislators and tell them what happened. It likely will be like peeing in the wind b/c it won't change your situation, but they need to hear of your displeasure of the whole situation. I know what you are going through. I've gone through something similar and it is frustrating to say the least. Thus far, we still have our analog meter, but I know our time is limited on that. They do know that they'd best notify me beforehand b/c they got a big earful when changing another meter without notice. I think they were a bit surprised at the pushback. Hubs knows one of the board members as well, so I think that helps. They have put out newsletters saying that at some point in the near future they will have to switch all the meters. So, it's just a matter of time. But, that doesn't mean I have to like it, nor does it mean I have to take it laying down. That reminds me, it's time to contact my local legislators on the matter and see what's going on with the state laws. I haven't heard anything in quite some time, so I think they are just letting it go.

I tried that with the phone company a couple months ago. It didn't turn out to good for me. Unlike most communities,they stick together. Plus it is actually dangerous to protect your rights now, these people have all your personal info at their finger tips.
I've got to learn to accept the facts that I don't live in a free society now.
And this young man who came here lying and being cocky will like his co=workers soon be replaced by AI aka computer or robot soon too. Also he is a almost middle aged man who is probably already kissing liberal butt to keep his job.

Latest posts

Back