About to Buy a Guard Donkey

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thankful_k

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
They are asking $600 each on craigslist. These are "Standard Jennies", apparently a group of six. Of course, I am buying only one. Here is the ad:

https://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/grd/d/springtown-standard-jenny-donkey/7428186491.html
I have questions into them about height at withers, whether they have been around livestock, and whether they are known to fight coyotes

It will be several more weeks until the sheep/goats get here (approx 5 sheep/3 goats)

I am alson considering wither a companion dog, or a rescure pyr.

Here are a few shots of the barn that the livestock/donkey/dog(s) will be in (doors are coming over the next few weeks, and of course all the tools/etc will be moved/put up):

image2.jpeg
image1(1).jpeg

image3.jpeg
image0(2).jpeg

I'm sure you have forgotten more about donkeys than I will ever know, but I just heard this. I have a neighbor who has two donkeys. He said they are pack animals, and crave friendship. He had two for a long time, and one passed. The remaining one pined away until he got a second one to replace the one he lost. They became fast friends, and have been inseparable, and quite happy ever since.

Have you considered getting two?

My two need each other, but they will find companionship with their livestock!! Definately want a Jenny. I'd look around a little harder, there are plenty of cheaper donkeys out there. Sounds to me like someone has a herd and wants rid of them, and would like to make a little money too! They are a dime a dozen for proven guard donkeys in Texas!

That price seems outrageous. Around here a donkey will sell $100 or less. I've seen them go at auction for $25 ea.

If you're getting them for guard duty... depends on the personality of the donkey whether or not they are good at it. Some donkey's won't show any interest in protection. Like the one I have now.

How many acres are you running goats on? If you have 30 or 40 acres, meaning lots of places where they'll not be visible... I'd consider a donkey. If you have a couple acres easily seen from the house I'd go with dogs.

Also, Jack's have been known to kill calves. I know of one Jenny that killed a calf.

To add... if you have your heart set on a donkey (I'm fond of the worthless one I have). After you get the goats...

Go to the local livestock auction, buy 3, shouldn't spend more than $200. Watch them a few days to see which one fits your situation/needs. Sell the other two, take them back to the auction you bought them at.

To add... if you have your heart set on a donkey (I'm fond of the worthless one I have). After you get the goats...

Go to the local livestock auction, buy 3, shouldn't spend more than $200. Watch them a few days to see which one fits your situation/needs. Sell the other two, take them back to the auction you bought them at.
Great idea!! There's something about those LOUD long eared things, they really grow on you!!

Where I live I see donkeys at regular livestock auctions occasionally. But there is one place that only deals with horses, mules and donkeys. Just call all the sale barns around your area, not to hard to find something specific.

Also, new farm supply stores like TSC sometimes have bulletin boards, usually in the hall to the bathrooms. Folks will pin cards and flyers of ag items for sale. Independent feed barns also keep bulletin boards, like both farmers co-op stores near me have them. If all else fails stop at the first pasture you see with equines and ask the owner.

Most old farmers love to talk...

Latest posts

Back