Absentee Homesteading?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katieswindler

Friend
Neighbor
So my husband and I long to leave corporate life and start a homestead, but after much consideration we have decided to stick it out in the city (Chicago) until my daughter is through school (she's a unique learner and is doing wonderfully in her current program and we don't want to pull her away from it). But, we have saved enough to buy some land in the next year, even though we wouldn't move there for at least 5-6 years.

We are looking to buy in the Driftless region of Wisconsin so it will be about 4 hours drive away. We hope to by 50-150 acres, a mix of tillable, wooded and pasture. Our goals for the land once we move there are to grow/raise the majority of our own food, as well as build our house and 4-5 highly-unique vacation rental cottages, ideally with timber and materials from the land.

My questions about this include:
  • If you had about 5 years where you owned your land, where you were there about 1 weekend a month or so, what would you do to prep your land for homesteading? Planting trees, cutting trails and documenting plants and water cycles are top of my list, but are there other things we should consider? Activities we should prioritize?
  • Could we actually start using the land productively before we move there? Are there crops or even animals that thrive from neglect that we could just let do their thing with minimal intervention on our part?
  • What else should we be thinking about or learning about in the next 5 years to ready ourselves for homesteading life? We are currently building a chicken coop and plan to get 4 chicks in the spring to try our hand at urban livestock raising! LOL. What other skills should we think about building?
  • I know being part of the community is critical for homesteaders - any suggestions on getting to know our neighbors even if we don't live in the area?

Welcome to come the forum Katie. There are a lot of good, knowledgeable people here. Probably some familiar with the area as well.
If you will be visiting and not hauling an RV back and forth maybe a cargo container tiny home would be in order. They are secure and dry.
I suppose one thing I would suggest is buy land with good southern exposure for growing. Look for places with natural water sources. Visit the area of I interest in different seasons. We almost bought land that is under water most of the winter. As far as I the locals if you are religious try the local church. We met most of the neighbors that way. Good luck.
https://www.lunchboxarchitect.com/i...ipping-container-home-header.jpg?v=1448698786

Last edited:
Welcome to come the forum Katie. There are a lot of good, knowledgeable people here. Probably some familiar with the area as well.
If you will be visiting and not hauling an RV back and forth maybe a cargo container tiny home would be in order. They are secure and dry.
I suppose one thing I would suggest is buy land with good southern exposure for growing. Look for places with natural water sources. Visit the area of I interest in different seasons. We almost bought land that is under water most of the winter. As far as I the locals if you are religious try the local church. We met most of the neighbors that way. Good luck.
https://www.lunchboxarchitect.com/i...ipping-container-home-header.jpg?v=1448698786

These are all great ideas! Thank you!

I am in a similar boat, I have 4-6 years before I can leave here, but it would be nice to get a start on a place that I could transition to. I will be following your progress with great interest...

So my husband and I long to leave corporate life and start a homestead, but after much consideration we have decided to stick it out in the city (Chicago) until my daughter is through school (she's a unique learner and is doing wonderfully in her current program and we don't want to pull her away from it). But, we have saved enough to buy some land in the next year, even though we wouldn't move there for at least 5-6 years.

We are looking to buy in the Driftless region of Wisconsin so it will be about 4 hours drive away. We hope to by 50-150 acres, a mix of tillable, wooded and pasture. Our goals for the land once we move there are to grow/raise the majority of our own food, as well as build our house and 4-5 highly-unique vacation rental cottages, ideally with timber and materials from the land.

My questions about this include:
  • If you had about 5 years where you owned your land, where you were there about 1 weekend a month or so, what would you do to prep your land for homesteading? Planting trees, cutting trails and documenting plants and water cycles are top of my list, but are there other things we should consider? Activities we should prioritize?
  • Could we actually start using the land productively before we move there? Are there crops or even animals that thrive from neglect that we could just let do their thing with minimal intervention on our part?
  • What else should we be thinking about or learning about in the next 5 years to ready ourselves for homesteading life? We are currently building a chicken coop and plan to get 4 chicks in the spring to try our hand at urban livestock raising! LOL. What other skills should we think about building?
  • I know being part of the community is critical for homesteaders - any suggestions on getting to know our neighbors even if we don't live in the area?
Plant trees and fence them in to protect from critters. Prune them yearly in winter.

We got our first good batch of pears this year after planting them 6-7 years ago.

ID your water resources and develop them.

Ben

I was in your shoes a decade ago. After we decided this is what we wanted to do, it took us about 3 years to find that perfect property. We got lucky and found an old original Alaskan homestead that was perfect for what we wanted, and the price was good as the people we bought it from let it get run down and they were separating and desperate to sell. We had it as our weekend getaway for about 4 years before moving there 2.5 years ago.

My advice is to really figure out what you want from your land. Make a list of what is really important to you. This was something that the wife and I discussed and negotiated a bit until deciding on what the “must haves” were that we both agreed on.

Study up on the areas you are considering. Know the zoning laws, development plans for the area, crime rates, availability of water, etc. Research everything. I recall a friend who put down a sizablen fortune on a property only to find out a year after he bought it that a rock quarry was going to open a few miles down the road from him. Research, research!

Consider visiting a local church on a Sunday and let folks know you are looking for property, same thing with a local restaurant, etc. You might get lucky and get good tips on property that might not even be listed. Plus you can get to know folks and learn a lot about the area directly from the locals.

I don’t know enough about what grows well in Wisconsin, but potatoes should grow very well with little maintenance, and I would imagine apple trees could be planted. The university agricultural extension will have good advice.

Good luck, as these dreams can and do come true.

I was in your shoes a decade ago. After we decided this is what we wanted to do, it took us about 3 years to find that perfect property. We got lucky and found an old original Alaskan homestead that was perfect for what we wanted, and the price was good as the people we bought it from let it get run down and they were separating and desperate to sell. We had it as our weekend getaway for about 4 years before moving there 2.5 years ago.

My advice is to really figure out what you want from your land. Make a list of what is really important to you. This was something that the wife and I discussed and negotiated a bit until deciding on what the “must haves” were that we both agreed on.

Study up on the areas you are considering. Know the zoning laws, development plans for the area, crime rates, availability of water, etc. Research everything. I recall a friend who put down a sizablen fortune on a property only to find out a year after he bought it that a rock quarry was going to open a few miles down the road from him. Research, research!

Consider visiting a local church on a Sunday and let folks know you are looking for property, same thing with a local restaurant, etc. You might get lucky and get good tips on property that might not even be listed. Plus you can get to know folks and learn a lot about the area directly from the locals.

I don’t know enough about what grows well in Wisconsin, but potatoes should grow very well with little maintenance, and I would imagine apple trees could be planted. The university agricultural extension will have good advice.

Good luck, as these dreams can and do come true.
You give me hope! Thanks so much for both the advice and encouragement!!

We lived in downtown Chicago and did exactly what you are doing in WI. Completely raw land, no prior homes, no utilities on the properties.
Looked at 40 parcels. Took about 5 months of looking (but boy did we see excellent properties).

Started @ 10 acres and just kept adding size. Prerequisites: well plowed roads and church nearby (more on that later), tons of trees (42 acres in all), clearing for solar.
Other prerequisites: NO regular bears (basically - you may have a stray). Few wolves. Ability to 'city'-farm part of it.

Bought 50 acres Central WI and built an ICF home with net zero solar to run it and a Lopi woodstove for extra heat. Aggressively passive solar - 100% south facing- with solar architects weighing in on overhangs (prevent tooooo much solar gain or not enough) and size of windows.

Turned 7500 sq feet into fenced raised bed gardens to grow our own food. Living amongst airplane sprayed chemicals and 1000 -4000 acre farms so needed a buffer around our organic area.
Turned 16,000 sq ft into fenced orchard. Had a few floods and some blight but blue berries are carrying us from crop to crop, hoping this year no hard freeze to make ALL the trees drop ALL the blossoms...

Did I mention we were old, had moved 13 times, and city slickers !!! What a learning experience.

Welcome to the forum.
I agree with others, put in much research on land before you buy. Make sure you can do and the land will provide what you want. Water being high on that list.
After purchase I would figure out where the home and any buildings will go, then where you want gardens, greenhouses, etc to go. Plant fruit trees, berry bushes, asparagus, etc soon. You'll be well along the way by the time you're ready to build and move.

We lived in downtown Chicago and did exactly what you are doing in WI. Completely raw land, no prior homes, no utilities on the properties.
Looked at 40 parcels. Took about 5 months of looking (but boy did we see excellent properties).

Started @ 10 acres and just kept adding size. Prerequisites: well plowed roads and church nearby (more on that later), tons of trees (42 acres in all), clearing for solar.
Other prerequisites: NO regular bears (basically - you may have a stray). Few wolves. Ability to 'city'-farm part of it.

Bought 50 acres Central WI and built an ICF home with net zero solar to run it and a Lopi woodstove for extra heat. Aggressively passive solar - 100% south facing- with solar architects weighing in on overhangs (prevent tooooo much solar gain or not enough) and size of windows.

Turned 7500 sq feet into fenced raised bed gardens to grow our own food. Living amongst airplane sprayed chemicals and 1000 -4000 acre farms so needed a buffer around our organic area.
Turned 16,000 sq ft into fenced orchard. Had a few floods and some blight but blue berries are carrying us from crop to crop, hoping this year no hard freeze to make ALL the trees drop ALL the blossoms...

Did I mention we were old, had moved 13 times, and city slickers !!! What a learning experience.
Wow!! Just reading that post was a trip! What an adventure you’ve been on! I’m getting so excited reading how many of you have done something similar to what we dream to do!!

40 parcels! Holy cow! Though we did look at about 50 house before we bought our current home in Chicago so we’re probably similar kinds of shoppers!! You said it took 5 months - curious how many trips out to WI you took during that time and how many spots you looked at per trip? I’m assuming you were mostly going up on weekends to look at properties but did you maybe also take some time off?

Welcome to this forum.
I did four years in a "State Institution" in Rochester, New York. Then found freedom in wilderness Alaska.

Welcome!
Depending on the area, a lot of your preps can, "grow legs" when left unattended. Things like an orchard, well, septic tank and drain field are really hard to walk away with. You can build the foundation, or better yet the basement and cistern.

A motorhome can be store at a nearby storage unit. A trailer with tools and other preps can be kept at the storage unit and towed by the motorhome and/or your other vehicle.

Leasing part of your land to a rancher or a farmer is another option, for the next five years.

Funny, an old friend had the same plan except he started about 8 years ago. Lives there full time now, SW wisconsin. Expanded the little cabin and the barn. Has about 10 acres of pasture and a creek with trout. He’s got several acres of hardwood timber and it came with a 70 tree walnut orchard. Its a beautiful place.

Me, I live on the farm where I was born in a very rural area. Well, it used to be very rural, lots of folks retire out here, buy a little place etc. The first mistake some of these people make is conducting themselves as if they still lived in a city somewhere. It’s not, my family came here in the 1880’s, families live in the same rural area for generations. If I’m chatting with a neighbor at the gas station or the lady at the cash register I might have known their great grandpa and heard about the trouble he got into back in ‘24. So, it’s different, I know everyone for miles around, related to many. Most importantly, they know me. They know exactly what I’d do, during a flood, snow storms or hurricanes. Some may not like me or I them, but we all know who can be counted on in an emergency, who is a real neighbor.

The first thing you’re going to need is local friends, because you have no security without them, period! None, nada, zip. You have to rely on neighbors, sometimes in odd ways unfamiliar to those in cities. So you need to get started on the right foot. Right after you purchase your land I suggest you hold a big cookout, invite 20 or 30 neighbors, get to know some of them, and them you.

Religious or not, visit a few of the local churches. If there is a small county seat nearby there will be a place many have lunch etc. Get to know the sheriff, county officials (roads), most importantly find out how things work, power structure, the people involved. Get active in local fundraisers, volunteer occasionally.

For example, here, rural fire stations are manned by volunteers. Once a month they hold a fish fry to raise funds. Other volunteers man the fryers or make the cole slaw… Lots of little things you can do to assist. All of it geared to being a part of the community, not just some stranger who bought a place down the road. You decide how you will be viewed. I know you’ll be rushed just coming up on weekends but it doesn’t take much time to buy a fish plate and chat with your neighbors while you eat or buy a raffle ticket.

But more basic, you’re going to have to leave tools and equipment on your land. Simplest method for securing them is a shipping container, 20ft or 40ft long. It’s like a ready made steel building that can be secured. It won’t stop a serious thief but is beyond most meth addicts or teenagers. Good neighbors will keep you informed as to the local crime issues anyway. The last time I needed the county sheriff it took 47 minutes for a deputy to arrive. You have to rely on neighbors! That only works if they can rely on you.

You mentioned cataloging plant life. How serious is your interest in this area? Just something you’d “like to know” or for a specific purpose? If you’re serious, really interested in plant life you need to find someone like me. I no longer farm seriously but wildcraft, as a hobby more than anything else. More than 1200 species of medicinal plants grow wild where I live. Herb retailers usually only sell 100 or so species. Sometimes a herbalist needs a plant that can’t be purchased. They call me and I hunt them. There is most likely a wildcrafter or herbalist in your area who knows a great deal about the local flora. Maybe a science guy from the local junior college… ask around, you’ll find them.

Most importantly, you’ll need out buildings on your land, maybe even a storm shelter/root cellar. If you want to know the best designs for your area, again, your neighbors will already have those answers. They know what works, pros, cons etc.

And welcome to the forum!

My friends place

Wis d 0.jpg
Wis d 2.JPG
Wis d 3.JPG
Wis d 4.JPG
Wis d 6.JPG
Wis d 8.jpg

Last edited:
From your post about rental cabins... you're going to have a public profile. A very good way to learn other public information near your new property...

For work I traveled for many years, relocated many times before moving back to the family farm. To get to know locals quickly at new places... A simple little trick I used many times was the local library. These days many small town newspapers are dead or dying… But! The local library will have copies of the town paper going back decades, sometimes digitized. I’d spend a couple hours each week reading back issues. I’d take note of family names that appeared over and over, as well as criminal family names and arrest reports. Of course deaths, births and weddings are announced, who went off to college or returned, countless other tidbits of info. It’s amazing what you can learn about a community, it’s people and their history in a few hours.

Last edited:
We did the same thing...bought our farm 7 years ago, and moved here a year and a half ago. The farmhouse itself was in such a shambles, we brought our travel trailer with us for a trip and left it here, next to the house. We'd come up 3 to 4 times a year from 10 hours away. Glad we're here now. We left 4 months into the pandemic start, and our start was pretty brutal about not doing anything. Such a relief to be here, we do what we want. We had an agreement with a cousin that he could farm our back 15 acres as long as he kept the weeds down, grass around the house mowed, and checked on the place routinely. He lives four miles down the road.

I know that area just a little bit. It's great territory for deer, and should serve well for cattle or goats once you get moved up there. I think your first priority has to be a digging a well unless you can locate land with a spring on it. Parts of that area are well known for springs and seeps. It's generally not the best farmland in the world though. There's a lot of natural resources there, game animals and fish especially. As others have said, apples, pears, and cherries should do well. Blueberries are another option but need to have a frame and a net over them or the birds get them all.

Once you get your basic infrastructure put in, the sky's the limit! Good luck with your search, and welcome to H&CL.

Funny, an old friend had the same plan except he started about 8 years ago. Lives there full time now, SW wisconsin. Expanded the little cabin and the barn. Has about 10 acres of pasture and a creek with trout. He’s got several acres of hardwood timber and it came with a 70 tree walnut orchard. Its a beautiful place.

Me, I live on the farm where I was born in a very rural area. Well, it used to be very rural, lots of folks retire out here, buy a little place etc. The first mistake some of these people make is conducting themselves as if they still lived in a city somewhere. It’s not, my family came here in the 1880’s, families live in the same rural area for generations. If I’m chatting with a neighbor at the gas station or the lady at the cash register I might have known their great grandpa and heard about the trouble he got into back in ‘24. So, it’s different, I know everyone for miles around, related to many. Most importantly, they know me. They know exactly what I’d do, during a flood, snow storms or hurricanes. Some may not like me or I them, but we all know who can be counted on in an emergency, who is a real neighbor.

The first thing you’re going to need is local friends, because you have no security without them, period! None, nada, zip. You have to rely on neighbors, sometimes in odd ways unfamiliar to those in cities. So you need to get started on the right foot. Right after you purchase your land I suggest you hold a big cookout, invite 20 or 30 neighbors, get to know some of them, and them you.

Religious or not, visit a few of the local churches. If there is a small county seat nearby there will be a place many have lunch etc. Get to know the sheriff, county officials (roads), most importantly find out how things work, power structure, the people involved. Get active in local fundraisers, volunteer occasionally.

For example, here, rural fire stations are manned by volunteers. Once a month they hold a fish fry to raise funds. Other volunteers man the fryers or make the cole slaw… Lots of little things you can do to assist. All of it geared to being a part of the community, not just some stranger who bought a place down the road. You decide how you will be viewed. I know you’ll be rushed just coming up on weekends but it doesn’t take much time to buy a fish plate and chat with your neighbors while you eat or buy a raffle ticket.

But more basic, you’re going to have to leave tools and equipment on your land. Simplest method for securing them is a shipping container, 20ft or 40ft long. It’s like a ready made steel building that can be secured. It won’t stop a serious thief but is beyond most meth addicts or teenagers. Good neighbors will keep you informed as to the local crime issues anyway. The last time I needed the county sheriff it took 47 minutes for a deputy to arrive. You have to rely on neighbors! That only works if they can rely on you.

You mentioned cataloging plant life. How serious is your interest in this area? Just something you’d “like to know” or for a specific purpose? If you’re serious, really interested in plant life you need to find someone like me. I no longer farm seriously but wildcraft, as a hobby more than anything else. More than 1200 species of medicinal plants grow wild where I live. Herb retailers usually only sell 100 or so species. Sometimes a herbalist needs a plant that can’t be purchased. They call me and I hunt them. There is most likely a wildcrafter or herbalist in your area who knows a great deal about the local flora. Maybe a science guy from the local junior college… ask around, you’ll find them.

Most importantly, you’ll need out buildings on your land, maybe even a storm shelter/root cellar. If you want to know the best designs for your area, again, your neighbors will already have those answers. They know what works, pros, cons etc.

And welcome to the forum!

My friends place

View attachment 76421View attachment 76422View attachment 76423View attachment 76424View attachment 76425View attachment 76426
What a wonderful reply and wise advice all around. I’ve already started looking into local churches in order to meet the neighbors. I love the idea of holding a cookout and volunteering at local events. One of the appealing things about country life is being part of a community. We have a bit of it here in my city neighborhood, but everything is so busy busy in the city. It can be hard to slow down and really connect. It will be an adjustment for sure!

Regarding cataloging plants, I’m pretty serious. I’ve always had an interest in biology and plants. I’ve been thinking of taking a class at our local arboretum to learn more about identifying and caring for trees, but they tend to be held in the middle of the work day - more geared toward retirees I guess. My main interest would be in identifying trees for woodworking with finding and cultivating edibles a close second. I hope we can set up a mill on our land. I’m currently taking a woodworking class with my husband and learning to use things like joiners and planers and scroll saws. I’m really loving it. I also want to develop the bio diversity on our land - both flora and fauna, I’m hoping we can find a spot with a pond or stream large enough for waterfowl, eagles, maybe even some beavers, though I know they can be a headache, they are fascinating to watch! Basically I’d just love to create an eco system where I can watch interesting plants and animals instead of TV. LOL

your friends farm looks lovely! Just the sort of place we hope to find for ourselves!

We did this about 13 years ago and never looked back. South facing is more critical than people realize. Fruit & nut trees should be planted ASAP. Another thought for future income is christmas trees. Get ground / soil improving crops planted ASAP as well. Lots to learn and do. Start getting in shape now you will thank me later...

2nd on planting soil improving crops where you intend to have gardens ect. Nitrogen fixers are a good start. Also, farmers with cows always need hay. Its easy to rent hay ground, either yearly or multiyear. Plus its added security while making your transition. That farmer will be stopping to check his grass etc, odd hours or days. It's an extra set of eyes on your place while you're not there.

If you rent out hay ground be careful with whom you do business. I know men my age who've always had cows and hay. You'd be amazed at the number who still don't know what they are doing. Deal with established "successful" farmers. Only locals can tell you who those people are. Also, a good cattleman will want a multiyear lease, If he makes improvements to the soil for growing proper hay he'll want return on that investment for his time and money.

Not exactly your question but will throw out a different spin on your plans . If you stay in Chicago until your daughter graduates , you can expect her to find a husband and job in the Chicago area . If you want your daughter and grandkids to share your new property , get out now and break the cycle .--- I am speaking from experience . I uprooted and left an area where I had 4 kids . I broke the cycle of living in the undesirable area . Now on my property in another state I have all 4 kids and my grandkids to enjoy . My eldest " a daughter " years after this move told me moving my family to a better area was one of the best things I ever did . I agree with her .

Not exactly your question but will throw out a different spin on your plans . If you stay in Chicago until your daughter graduates , you can expect her to find a husband and job in the Chicago area . If you want your daughter and grandkids to share your new property , get out now and break the cycle .--- I am speaking from experience . I uprooted and left an area where I had 4 kids . I broke the cycle of living in the undesirable area . Now on my property in another state I have all 4 kids and my grandkids to enjoy . My eldest " a daughter " years after this move told me moving my family to a better area was one of the best things I ever did . I agree with her .
Great advice!

Hello and welcome. WATER and soil quality are probably two of the most important things to consider when looking for property to homestead and it certainly helps to have good neighbors, thankfully we have great neighbors, but when it comes to water and soil, it's something we didn't look deep enough for, as of today our water which comes from a spring that's about 600 feet up on the mountain west of us is getting down to a drip for overflow, this time of year it would normally be gushing out of the overflow, we are short of the regular rains of this season. As to soil, ours is highly acidic, good for growing blueberries and trees, not too hot for vegetables, unless we bring in composted soil, which is we have been doing. The reason we bought our place is that it was affordable and it was hard to find affordable places due to Californians throwing money at the realtors after they sold their properties at very inflated prices due to Prop 13 passed in the late 70's or early 80's. Water and good soil can make the difference if you can survive on a homestead. The one thing we made sure of was that we were on the south face of a mountain, snow melt quickly and it provides a perfect alignment for our backup solar system. As to getting our spring output back to normal, I may have to use a masonary drill bit to clear out sediment build up in the bedrock of our spring.

Hello and welcome. WATER...

. As to getting our spring output back to normal, I may have to use a masonary drill bit to clear out sediment build up in the bedrock of our spring.

A few months ago I had some success with back flushing a spring head.

One of the springs was down to a trickle so I used a garden hose to blow out the collection manifold multiple times. It seems to have made a world of difference (as shown in the video above).

If you can get a portable pump to the feed line from the springhead it may be a viable option to reinvigorating your spring.

Trying to help

Ben

We did this about 13 years ago and never looked back. South facing is more critical than people realize. Fruit & nut trees should be planted ASAP. Another thought for future income is christmas trees. Get ground / soil improving crops planted ASAP as well. Lots to learn and do. Start getting in shape now you will thank me later...
Ditto that!

May I suggest shoveling?

It is a useful ability that can be used for a lot of projects plus..

It is a full body work out from ones fingers to their toes. The physical challenge can be adjusted by the shovel load

;)

Ben.

Latest posts

Back