acclimating to the cold

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh lord, you just got me to picture you dressed like Richard Simmons... lol
ROFLMAO...you need brain bleach now to erase that....or therapy !!!...lol

when i lived in alaska i use to go wash in the ocean.it was cold but i will be clean in some form or fashion.i eventually built a teepee type sauna and after full day in pouring rain...200 inches a year...it felt pretty good on tired muscles and bones.the work crew got so addicted to it it was often done daily in afternoon.it was interesting to see the results afterwards...total silence in camp as we all went into deep sleep afterwards for several hours.

Does it have to get any trickier than putting on long underwear? Add more layers that can be shed while working or restored when resting.

Now that I have more hair on the bottom of my head I do have to wear hats.

I spent my formative years in Duluth playing street hockey in-50 wind chill. Before the game was over I would be down to a sweat shirt and long underwear underneath.

Ben

I've spent most of my life in East Tennessee. Humid hot summers. Nice weather in the fall, dry but cooling temps. Winters, well sometime cold and snow, our record low is -24, and biggest snow I recall (my grandpas memories as well) was near 27". Spring is normally wet and warming. I enjoy 4 seasons, but I'd love to have more cold weather. But I wouldn't move north at this point in my life. I wanted to move to Idaho/Montana or Alaska years ago, but life never worked out that way. Too old to make that kind of move now.

@Bacpacker more cold weather gets real old, real fast. In central Iowa, we're usually above 0 from Thanksgiving until mid March, but there's always 2 or 3 weeks where lows are -10 to -25. The regular temps of 0 to 25 are punctuated by cloud cover and the horrible wind that never stops. It will freeze exposed skin in a few minutes. There's no mountains or forests to slow it down. Your snot freezes inside your nostrils and your beard gets icicles in it from your breath, and when it gets really bad your eyelashes will get ice on the ends. I would love to have your winters, or winters like Springfield Mo. or Oklahoma City. Just enough cold to remind you it's winter, but not enough cold to interfere with your life...

Yeah it's different around here. Although I have had times of ice in my beard and hair. Frozen snot too.
I do think wind is a bigger factor than just temps. Same in the summer with humidity. They just amplify the temps.
True. Low temps make you cold on the outside. Low temps and wind make you cold on the inside.

Latest posts

Back